Alan Moore is Making a Videogame (Maybe)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Alan Moore is Making a Videogame (Maybe)

Alan Moore is apparently working on a videogame, but you didn't hear it from him.

It's no secret that acclaimed comic writer Alan Moore <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore#Film_adaptations>has no interest in letting people make film adaptations of his comic books. As a result, fans on the Web have been pretty surprised to hear that the man may be working on a "transmedia project" that would include a videogame tie-in.

The news came about during a Q&A session in London last night where Moore was celebrating his magazine, Dodgem Logic. During the session, someone asked Moore if he ever had an interest in videogames.

Moore revealed that he is now looking at a project created with a number of different mediums in mind. While it's evidently not settled yet, he said there may be "possibly some surprising stuff happening in the next 12 months"

"You didn't hear it from me," Moore added.

This is a pretty abrupt shift from Moore's stance on adaptations, so it'd certainly be interesting to see just what the man is working on. Up til this point, the only games that have tied into his comics were the Watchmen and Constantine games; while these weren't exactly terrible, they weren't anything special either. Hopefully a project that Moore is directly involved with will have better results.

Source: <a href=http://www.shacknews.com/article/68338/alan-moore-video-game-watchmen>Shack News

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
How is this a shift in his stance on adaptations? I never read anything there about him adapting a work to a different medium, he was just working on a project with different mediums in mind.

His stance was clearly that: when you take a work from one medium, such as a comic book, then change it to fit another, such as film, you lose something, and he wasn't interested in doing that.

Making a new project intended for certain mediums in no way seems to conflict with that.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I don't think this can be considered to be an adaptation. At least from the quote it's a story that will continue through multiple mediums. If Moore is penning this project, it could be quite interesting at the very least.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
From what i have seen of Moore's latest work, it will probably involve poetry, drugs, magic and some weird cross-genre bible that can turn milk into clay.

Yeah.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Let me say this. Alan moore is batshit insane and I really don't wanna fuck with him.

Just let him do what he wants until I think of a way to send him back from which he came (I'm pretty sure that's outworld.)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
vansau said:
Up til this point, the only games that have tied into his comics were the Watchmen and Constantine games; while these weren't exactly terrible, they weren't anything special either.
Nah. They're pretty much just terrible. And the Watchmen titles in particular were over-priced.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I don't know, I don't massively like Alan Moore. I think he is very overrated. That's not to say he's in any way bad, he's great, but not as good as people make out to be.

I read Dodgem Logic occasionally, and he seems really 100% committed to it, so I imagine this project will be closely linked in with that. DL is very political though, and that doesn't translate very well into games as a rule

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Let's hope it's a barber game.

Seriously, that guy could lose some fucking hair. I wouldn't be surprised if there were small bird carcasses in that beard.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Let's hope it's a barber game.

Seriously, that guy could lose some fucking hair. I wouldn't be surprised if there were small bird carcasses in that beard.
I wouldn't be shocked to find dead HUMAN carcasses. He looks like some kind of crazy psycho murderer right out of a movie.

tjs09

Aug 23, 2010
As long as it's kept relatively free of blue genitalia, I have no problem with this.

He's insane, but we need more insanity in gaming, right?

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Instead of donning a pair of 3D spectacles, players will instead be required to ingest two tabs of lysergic acid diethylamide before booting the game up. And it will probably be glorious.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Speculating:

He'd probably want to do something with an original story, or take one of his lesser known / less popular works to revitalize for such a project, rather than doing something that's already been adapted into a movie.

At least, based off his opinion on DC / DC Vertigo? approaching him to do a Watchmen prequel, to which his answer was (paraphrased): "Should have asked me a decade ago, you stupid bastards, now get off my fucking lawn." (Not a buddy buddy relationship with DC / Vertigo)

Anyways, aside from rehashing old sentiments, Mr. Moore did say that the Neonomicon would be his last comic and issue #4 of that finished with the feel of the ambiguous endings tends to do... And he's definatetly the sorta guy who puts his money where his mouth is.*

*After disavowing any adaptions of Watchmen and demanding his name removed from the credits, he arranged to have all royalty proceeds from any Watchmen(C) material except for the original graphic novel that he would be entitled to all go to his illustrator Dave Gibbons). That's a LOT of money to refuse on principle.

---

I'm happy at the prospect. While it remains untested water, Alan has consistently demonstrated a strong research ethic, analytical aptitude and practical understanding of how to leverage mediums to their full potential through his writing and communication.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Is there an Alan Moore plushy? Because I'd at least covet one.
OT: Cool, Moore can get a bit pretentious sometimes but when he's on his game he's a very good writer.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, maybe he should go about doing things that are obviously more of a priority in his life.

Shaving being one of them, right ahead of visting a hairdressers. A bath looks like it wouldn't do him any harm too.