Valve Considering Mobile Steam Features

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Considering Mobile Steam Features

Valve is thinking about the advantages of bringing Steam-related features to mobile platforms.

Valve is a juggernaut in the games development space with titles such as the recent Steam [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Pc/dp/B002I0JIQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304724872&sr=8-3], but has been conspicuously absent from the booming mobile market. While certain members of the company find the market "interesting," Valve is still just "looking at" how it can integrate itself onto mobile platforms.

"We do feel we're late on mobiles across many of Valve's services," Valve VP of marketing Doug Lombardi told Develop. "It's something we're starting to look at now. There's a common set of [Steam] features that people could see themselves using, and are starting to ask us for."

Lombardi is presumably referring to features that would require users to connect to their Steam accounts through a mobile-specific interface. Lombardi added that the more requests Valve gets, the more likely it'll be to implement this ability. However, in my view an entire mobile Steam storefront seems like it might be impossible without a "Valve Phone" or a Valve mobile OS - two herculean projects - considering how Apple, Google, and the rest of the mobile bunch regulate content (no storefronts allowed).

As for Source Engine games, built using Valve's trademark technology, we may not see them in the palms of our hands for a good while (if at all). "If people want people to build a mobile engine today, call [Epic Games CEO] Tim Sweeney," Valve boss Gabe Newell said, referring to Epic's mobile version of the Unreal Engine that has resulted in games such as Infinity Blade. This comment makes it clear that a full mobile market expansion isn't in Valve's cards for now, but look for the company to possibly test the waters as the industry keeps growing.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37611/Valve-If-you-want-a-mobile-engine-call-Epic]

Feb 13, 2008
Honestly they're gonna have their work cut out. Battery life is so important that most sensible users trim phones down to their basic essentials. Even an auto-updater will chew through your power like crazy, especially in black zones.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
NeoShai said:
All I want is Steam Friends and Chat on the go.
I agree, all they really need to do is this, and possibly the store. I mean, its not asif were gonna be playing team fortress 2 or counter strike source on our mobiles.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I can't really see any of those things being useful. If I intend to use Steam then I'll be on my computer using Steam.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
NeoShai said:
This. I agree wholeheartedly. I was looking for an app to do this recently, but unfortunately it doesn't exist. I think a web portal would be adequate though...that way it can be accessed by mobiles and PCs without Steam.

...I hardly think they would be able to compete with the existing built-in app stores though...they already have a streamlined browsing, downloading and updating thing going (at least the Android marketplace does...can't speak for the app store or windows phone marketplace).

Manuel Fernandez

Apr 7, 2010
They need to create their own game-app store. They are so awesome when dealing with indie developers that we should see no end to innovation :p

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
While creating their own app store isn't possible, it would be nice with a Steam app where you could purchase PC/Mac games more smoothly.

Granted, this is already possible by simply browsing their website, but it would be a nice feature on top of the much desired chat and friend list functions.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
i just don't see a need for valve to come to mobile phones. mobile games are kind of beneath them...

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
I don't want Valve to do mobile games really, but I would kill to have steam chat on my WP7

tehsqueez

Mar 18, 2011
Aside from friends/chat I think some games would be good, like strategy, family or maybe some indie games.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
NeoShai said:
I think you're about to be inbox-bombed. :p

Yessum I agree wholeheartedly. It'd also be nice to access the store from your mobile.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Hell, use steam on ALL platforms.

Steam has totally revolutionalized PC gaming. Where the console market was once seen as the cutting edge, its now old hokey and outdated. Someone tell nintendo to put a damn hard drive in their system, then ask sony and microsoft to charge actual market prices for theirs, then give us some Steam Power.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Valve should just open up whatever protocol they use for messaging so apps like Trillian can integrate with them. It's not like people will be bothered that they have two sets of logs to have to dig through to find old conversaions, because there is no logging in Steam IM.

Hammer_Wizard

Dec 1, 2009
I read the topic as "Valve Considering Mobile Steam Fortress" so I was a bit disappointed when I clicked it. Otherwise, sure, mobile features will be awesome addition to steam.