Sony Likely to Miss Timeline for PSN Restoration

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Likely to Miss Timeline for PSN Restoration

Sony may go beyond the previously expected timeline for the return of the PlayStation Network.

On May 1, Sony stated that the PlayStation Network would return [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109692-PSN-Phasing-Back-Into-Existence-With-Enhanced-Security] within a week through a phased rollout of services. Today, May 7, is the end of that week, and the PSN is still down. The latest news from Sony is that further testing is required, so the return of the PSN may miss this timeline.

Sony's Patrick Seybold returned to the PlayStation Blog once again for a "service restoration update" that wasn't the good news we'd all been hoping for. Seybold writes that Sony has "begun the process" of restoring the PSN, but that it's not ready to pull the lever and flip the giant breaker switch quite yet.

"We're still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them the security of the system," Seybold says. "Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online."

Seybold adds that when the weekly timeline for the PSN return was announced, Sony wasn't aware of the extent of the separate attack on Sony Online Entertainment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109723-Hackers-Also-Hit-Sony-Online-Stole-12-700-Credit-Cards]'s servers, and needs time for further testing. The official line is that services won't return until Sony is sure that its users are safe from the prying eyes of devious hacking entities, and the company doesn't appear to know when this will be at this time.

A rumor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109816-Rumor-PSN-Hackers-Already-Have-Third-Attack-Ready-to-Go] flying around says that the hackers responsible for the first two attacks have a third mapped out and ready to go. This could be causing Sony to be extra cautious. Another update on the situation will likely come before the end of the weekend.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Why are they being attacked a THIRD TIME?!

I can go without PSN a bit longer if it means a more secure network, but seriously, what do these pirates and douchebags have to prove?

This is why I hate them so much.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I kinda saw this coming, so I didn't get my hopes to high. Anyway, the third attack is still a rumor but it would be wise to be cautious.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Pendragon9 said:

I can go without PSN a bit longer if it means a more secure network, but seriously, what do these pirates and douchebags have to prove?

1. It's a rumour about them being attacked again, not happening yet to my knowledge.
2. Pirates? how are pirates involved in this?

But I do agree, whoever did it is just being plain mean. Whatever point they set out to make is destroyed because people want PSN to work.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
The hackers are bastards and all, but you have to admit; they've really done one on Sony here.

I'm not entirely sure why they're so pissed off with Sony and I don't think that this is the correct course of action, but they have my begrudging respect for managing to keep the network down for this long...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Try at get back soon.

I need to access to store to redownload some shit for my PSP. I'm sitting here with just Monster Hunter and my UMDs. And I haaaaaaaaaaaate Monster Hunter.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Pendragon9 said:

You really don't have a clue about the factions in play right?

Pirates have very little to gain from stealing credit card data, at least as far as advocating piracy goes - whereas then again if you have a buyer, the credit card data can literally be worth millions.

Pirates? Wrong people to blame. Douchebags? Almost certainly. What do they have to prove? Nothing. But the PSN breach gave criminals a motherlode of identity information for identity theft. That's the big thing.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
[troll] you know you've won a console war when you feel sorry for the other guys [/troll]

I still feel bad for ps3 owners but worse for sony, the amount of trouble they have had with the ps3 it makes me wonder if they will do another console after this

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
A good move. There's obviously no sense in putting out a rebuilt network that doesn't, y'know, work.

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
This whole thing wouldnt bother me that much simply because im lucky enough to have both consoles. Whats annoying me is I still cant link Portal 2 to my steam account!!!

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I hope they catch these guys and charge them with everything they can.

This is only harming the customers and they're being massive dicks. I miss the PSN Store/online play. Fucking assholes.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
TheEvilCheese said:
Pendragon9 said:

2. Pirates? how are pirates involved in this?
Because they make everything SO much cooler. That and ninja robots. Can't be just any ninjas gotta be ninja robots.

Sony just needs to get their shit together. And as long as I can still watch Netflix on my brothers PS3 I am fine with PSN being down. But so help me god if they stop allowing netflix.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
If there is another attack,(which I doubt)what can they attrack?!

What are they going to hack the CEO's own PC or something?!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Trogdor1138 said:
I hope they catch these guys and charge them with everything they can.

This is only harming the customers and they're being massive dicks. I miss the PSN Store/online play. Fucking assholes.
Actually Sony is hirt by this too, but more on the financial level rather than the emotional or psychological level. Also, to the people who did this to Sony and their customers like me: YOU GO TO HELL!! YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Here's an idea: fix the damn thing before announcing when it'll be restored! Geez, its like they learned nothing from game developers; always announcing release dates and then, "Oh noes! It's been pushed back!"

/angry, but not quite raging

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I for one am fine with this. I'd rather they not bring it back online until they're sure there are no more gaping security holes so it can go up and stay up. If they brought it up with some hole still there and they got hacked and had to take it down again shortly after, people would be even more pissed.

Besides, the biggest concern here is not PSN being down anyway. It's the risk of identity theft. People who only care about not being able to play CoD or Killzone need to reevaluate their priorities here as far as I'm concerned.

Imp Emissary said:
If there is another attack,(which I doubt)what can they attrack?!
The rumor is that they're going to attack Sony websites (playstation.com, sony.com, etc) and post some of the customer information they stole on there.

Onyx Oblivion said:
And I haaaaaaaaaaaate Monster Hunter.
You'll need this: