Bungie Won't Be at E3 This Year

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bungie Won't Be at E3 This Year

If you were looking forward to learning more about Bungie's mystery project with Activision, don't be holding your breath for this year's E3.

Halo studio Bungie is working don't have a clue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100329-Bungie-Signs-Deal-With-Activision] what it is.

Nor will we learn anything more anytime soon. Bungie community writer Eric Osborne attempted to head off any rumor-mongering at the pass with a post on the Bungie site [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=31451]:

[blockquote]Oh, and while we're on the subject of clarification, we won't officially be at E3 this year. Remember the Band-Aid approach I talked about last week? This is what it feels like in practice. Sorry for the sting. We wanted to make sure you didn't get whipped into a rumor-fueled frenzy only to have your expectations unceremoniously dashed during expo week.[/blockquote]

According to Osborne, Bungie will gradually be relinquishing full control to the Halo brand and community to Microsoft's Halo-specific studio 343 Industries, but Halo fans will still be able to access their profiles and characters on Bungie.net for the time being.

So yeah. Bungie isn't showing off any new Halo at E3, and its new project is still a ways off. It may be one of the most successful studios of the last decade, but I think Bungie has definitely earned an E3 break or two - don't you?

(Via GiantBomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/bungie-studios-wont-have-e3-presence/3152/])

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
They've definitely earned a break after Halo Reach. I can honestly say it's my favourite shooter.
Can't wait to see what they have in store next, something about pharaohs wasn't it?

Apr 28, 2008
Glad to hear. I think its better for them to put the energy that would have gone into some sort of reveal, into the actual game.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh I do hope Bungie can manage not to be corrupted by Activision. The last thing we want is another case of 'Infinity Ward Syndrome'

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I honestly don't care what Bungie has up their sleeve right now. I have a passing curiosity, sure, to see if they could even match what Halo brought them, but I'm more curious about 343's first Halo game.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Well, he only said they won't "officially" be at E3.

So maybe, just maybe they'll have an unannounced invasion where they start shooting people with sci-fi weapons?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Oh I do hope Bungie can manage not to be corrupted by Activision. The last thing we want is another case of 'Infinity Ward Syndrome'
That depends entirely on the nature of the contract signed with Activision.
However, knowing Activision's policy of only betting on a sure thing and then milking it to death, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Apr 28, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
They survived Microsoft when others have fallen(Rare, Ensemble), so I think they'll be fine. I hope. Please let them survive...

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I would've been eagerly among those in a rumor filled frenzy over their next franchise.

I honestly think they'll be OK when it comes to Activision because they're not in the same position as so many others. They and their new IP are not owned by Activision in any way unlike Infinity Ward was. They made this deal right during the middle of the IW disaster and after surviving for so long with Microsoft the only bump in the road was ODST getting bumped up to full price by Microsoft instead of being an expansion like they intended.

I think they know how to deal with a corporate behemoth.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Pity, was hoping to see something about their new IP, but I'll still gladly wait while they take the time to make an awesome game. They certainly earned that much atleast.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
One of the best developers around, deserve a break after a decade of hard work.

Looking forward to their next project :)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
i dont really care for bungie, the games i know them to have developed is halo, (i know they started way back when, and made a ton of games blah blah blah), but halo is the only notable one for me, and even then, the only thing i take interest in is the multiplayer.

sure i enjoy the singleplayer, but only when its co op.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Honestly? Good riddiance. I disliked Halo Reachs disregard for the premade story, and I disliked it's mutiplayer. It could have been good, but it want GOW 2 for me, same old shit, different crap. However, admitedly they have done some fantastic stuff, and I suppose they need a break. Moving into the black pit of hell that is activison and signing over your soul will take some time eh?

Alan Au

Mar 8, 2007
Microsoft/343 is doing a "Halofest" thing this fall at PAX, so that's probably where any new Halo franchise announcements will originate.

As for Bungie, the studio was trapped in a prison of its own making. It may have had golden bars, but it was a prison nonetheless, and I expect Bungie is relieved to be working on new projects for a change.