Recap - Episode 4: "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Recap - Episode 4: "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things"

This week, Tyrion discovers he's not quite as clever as he thought, and Ned meets a very interesting blacksmith.

Read Full Article

Antonidious

Nov 29, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Game of Thrones Recap - Episode 4: "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things"

This week, Tyrion discovers he's not quite as clever as he thought, and Ned meets a very interesting blacksmith.

Read Full Article
404 Error.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Yo, Escapist, get on this
Antonidious said:
404 Error.
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Just so you get the message.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
404!!! AAAAAAAA!

BTW: i really like how this series ends its episodes. i also like the actor who plays tyrion. the first episode ends with bran falling toward the camera and this one ends with men drawing their swords on tyrion. and the look on his face, my god he is a good actor.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
404 Error!

Spamming thy mailbox ftw, Lady Ser!!!

Personally, I thought shit got real in the second book, when Clegor and Co were de-maidening((I invented the word!) the countryside.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
I loved this recap--it even had a Mad Max: beyond the Thunder Dome reference. Keep at it Susan.

Creamygoodness

Aug 9, 2010
Really? You have to transcibe every episode for the poor schmucks that cant afford HBO? If I worked for HBO I would be looking for a way to sue for Intellectual property theft. Even if there isnt a legal issue here does it really require 2 articles per episode? Or do the escapist writers get butt hurt if they have to share a By-line?

* putting on me warning because of the posts on this thread shows that some people are thin-skinned and childish. All I did was state my opinion and replied when someone else posted to me.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
I frankly get a much bigger kick by reading a good History book, such as those from Georges Duby, Jacques Le Goff or Huizinga than dealing with the clichefest of HBO's 'historical' series.

Reality is much, much more interesting and thrilling than fiction, in this case.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Creamygoodness said:
Really? You have to transcibe every episode for the poor schmucks that cant afford HBO? If I worked for HBO I would be looking for a way to sue for Intellectual property theft. Even if there isnt a legal issue here does it really require 2 articles per episode? Or do the escapist writers get butt hurt if they have to share a By-line?
I personally like seeing 2 articles. There's 1 for people who have watched the show but not read the book, and the other for those in the know, comparing one to the other and how certain events affect the overall story arc.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
cainx10a said:
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
404 Error!

Spamming thy mailbox ftw, Lady Ser!!!

Personally, I thought shit got real in the second book, when Clegor and Co were de-maidening((I invented the word!) the countryside.
I believe there is a word for that already called "deflowering". But Clegor is quite the monster and I will be getting chills when they introduce the Brave Companions.

I'm excited to see you are writing about the series, Susan! I am sorely lacking people here to geek out with about the show/books.

I suspect that the focus on Viserys is both to show he can be somewhat human as well es to show his flavor of madness. It also allowed them to introduce the names of the dragons which will play their part later. Given the pace the show is moving at, the long moment with Viserys may have been much needed to give the later scene we know is coming more impact.

But it is odd that they aren't giving a little more time to Daenerys and Drogo. They really haven't shown Drogo's softer side but perhaps the rituals at the mountain will give him more depth? It would be nice to see them using their nicknames for each other at least so you know Daenerys doesn't hate him.

But the scene with Peter and Sansa with the tale of the Hound and the Mountain, I wish they had saved it for the confession moment with the Hound and Sansa. But as to why Peter would tell her a dangerous tale: 1) to test her ability to keep a secret, 2) to give her a sense of camaraderie with him, 3) to distract her from his nickname, and 4) because she looks like her mother whom he still loves.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
StrixMaxima said:
I frankly get a much bigger kick by reading a good History book, such as those from Georges Duby, Jacques Le Goff or Huizinga than dealing with the clichefest of HBO's 'historical' series.

Reality is much, much more interesting and thrilling than fiction, in this case.
I don't think this is considered as much of a historical series.

On topic: I like the little jokes/puns in the article. Keep up the good work!

Reliq

Nov 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Little finger is from a small strip of land called The FingerS

The reason Little finger was telling Sansa of the story of the mountain and the hound was if i recall correctly that, "she has a romantic notion of handsome princes and knights fighting honourably for love and loyalty". And he wanted to drive the point he was trying to make with his comment "Not quite what you were expecting" home in a brutal and effective manner. Ending her naive way of looking at castle life. Unfortunately this gets lost in the conversion from the books.

Only complaint i had with the article was that you started out trying to explain why things happend in the series, but somewhere in the middle you dropped the explanations and turned to witty commenting and retelling. Not that it wasnt interesting mind.

My two cents, or three as it were.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Sounds just like the books. Lots and lots of words ----action....maybe not so much. I might try the series, but I really strongly disliked the books to start with so I suspect my view might be jaded.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Creamygoodness said:
There's really no reason for you to be so negative and offensive. The two different articles address two different audiences: one familiar with the books, and those who are completely new to the series.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
So what exactly was missed out of Drogo's realtionship with her? Speaking as someone who hasn't read the novels (never got round to it, i have been aware of them for quite a while though) i would like to see more of Drogo as a charcter since all he has done is grunt, rape and hump (sometimes at the same time) and is pretty much as one dimensional as a character gets.
That's about all there is to him. Initially he was a bit harder, though he does show Dany softness, but the only thing in his life besides grunting raping and humping is fighting.

I'm actually very impressed at how they are really streamlining the massive books and still getting almost everything right.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Johnnyallstar said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
So what exactly was missed out of Drogo's realtionship with her? Speaking as someone who hasn't read the novels (never got round to it, i have been aware of them for quite a while though) i would like to see more of Drogo as a charcter since all he has done is grunt, rape and hump (sometimes at the same time) and is pretty much as one dimensional as a character gets.
That's about all there is to him. Initially he was a bit harder, though he does show Dany softness, but the only thing in his life besides grunting raping and humping is fighting.

I'm actually very impressed at how they are really streamlining the massive books and still getting almost everything right.
He's actually quite gentle with Dany when they're first married. He shows he actually cares about her happiness and general wellbeing, and it's that tenderness - something she's never really known in her life - that wins her over. We get none of that in the show, sadly. Then again, we don't get nearly enough of her backstory with Viserys, either, so perhaps it balances out.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
*snippy

He's actually quite gentle with Dany when they're first married. He shows he actually cares about her happiness and general wellbeing, and it's that tenderness - something she's never really known in her life - that wins her over. We get none of that in the show, sadly. Then again, we don't get nearly enough of her backstory with Viserys, either, so perhaps it balances out.
Well, they did show him wipe away a tear of hers, whispering the "no" and some other little things... right before the pounding happened. But that's all stuff they really streamlined down.

It's funny, since I've finally got my sister and father to read the books. My dad was really against reading it, until about halfway through the first book, now he's hooked, and we're all watching the show.