Japanese University Builds Baby Terminator

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese University Builds Baby Terminator

Research into the way we move continues to be terrifying to the layperson.

Remember that scene at the end of Terminator, where the ruined torso of the T-800 drags itself along the metal press, trying to reach Sarah Connor? Well, I challenge you to look at the Pneuborn-7II, which is designed to crawl under its own power, and not think of that scene.

The Pneuborn-7II, and its slightly larger counterpart, the Pneuborn-13, are the work of the Osaka Univeristy's Hosada Lab, and are designed to help study musculoskeletal development. The Pneuborn-7II is based on measurements taken from a real seven-month-old baby, while the Pneuborn-13 is - predictably enough - based on a 13-month-old child, and is designed to be able to walk upright. Both are fully autonomous, although their actual level of intelligence is quite limited. Rather than use motors, they have pneumatic actuators - hence their names - which allows them to keep going for a long time without overheating.

The robots look like baby terminators, although thankfully without the red-eyed skull faces. There are currently no videos of the robots in motion available, which may actually be a blessing in disguise, and it's hard to decide if they'd be more, or less, creepy if they had skin. We can only hope that the researchers behind the Pneuborn project never join forces with their colleagues working on the Affetto [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107642-Japanese-Engineers-Build-Creepy-Robot-Baby-Head] project, because the two combined is the stuff of nightmares.

Source: Plastic Pals [http://www.plasticpals.com/?p=27655] via io9 [http://io9.com/#!5799943/japanese-university-cant-stop-building-robotic-babies]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Am I the only one who sees the gaping maw in the "head" from which the unearthly howl of the damned must surely issue?

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

And on another note...very very interesting. Maybe 12/21/12 isn't that far-fetched...

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Damn it Japan! Stop making those small robots and focus on the giant mechs instead!

OT: Very creepy...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
"slightly larger counterpart...". That's how it starts. Soon there will be robot babies the size of cities crawling around Earth and destroying everything!
We're doomed, i say. DOOOMED!
But in all seriousness, that does look rather creepy. Thanks ,Japan!

teh_spartan

ultimate pwnerer
Mar 29, 2009
ok so i have a mac and my screen saver is the rss feed from the escapist and all i see is "Japanese University Builds Baby Terminator"
and to me that ment that japanese built something to kill babies!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
believer258 said:
manythings said:
Am I the only one who sees the gaping maw in the "head" from which the unearthly howl of the damned must surely issue?
You obviously didn't click on that Afetto link. That's a where the damned come from. Whoa, that damn baby's head moving around like that is more than creepy.

On Topic: Yes, cool and all. Come back to me when the Japanese have invented Mega Man or Astro Boy, and I'll be interested. Or a true AI that can look and act just like a real human.
Really? I think we'll all live longer, less torturously, worked-to-death in the slave pit, lives if we never create a true thinking artificial construct.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Well that's better than the first thing that popped into mind when I saw the words "baby terminator" in the headline. Population control at it's creepiest...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
It's only a matter of time before Skynet takes over...

But in all seriousness, that is quite creepy...

Next step...adult?

PlowmanMk

Oct 7, 2010
For a country that is in an unfortunate position, they still find ways to impress me... by building murderous children. Bravo Japan!

Evilsanta said:
Damn it Japan! Stop making those small robots and focus on the giant mechs instead!
+1
I want my transformer god dammit.