Micro-Transaction-Based Call of Duty Coming To China

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Micro-Transaction-Based Call of Duty Coming To China

Never one to overlook a global economic superpower, Activision Blizzard is preparing a micro-transaction-based Call of Duty title specifically for the Chinese market.

Not much is known about this new game -- actually its existence is only confirmed by a seven word blurb in the newly-released Activision Blizzard quarterly earnings report -- but the idea of a Call of Duty sequel/spin-off/whatever with a dominant micro-transaction component raises interesting questions.

The capitalist motivation behind the game is obvious, but one wonders why Activision Blizzard feels the need to create a special version for the Chinese market. If it were a censorship thing, I could understand that given China's notorious history of government control [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109096-China-Bans-Time-Travel-Movies], but that wouldn't really explain the micro-transaction bit, would it?

The only explanation I can think of here is piracy. Certain parts of China have long been hotbeds of software piracy, and in relying entirely on relatively small downloadable content releases to fund the development of the game, Activision Blizzard can avoid the financial hit of pirates reselling copies of its latest $60 action title for $10 on a Beijing street corner.

Actually, the company could even earn great dividends from gamers who purchase the game itself from black market sources, yet still wind up shelling out cash for a new set of virtual camo pants or a gold-plated Kalashnikov.

Say what you will about Activision Blizzard milking successful series dry, but you can't fault the capitalist acumen at work.

Source: Activision Blizzard Quarterly Earnings Report [http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=575495]

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Two words: Cash cow.

WoW lost subscription fees last quarter...They have to make up the difference somehow.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
(10 May 2012) Micro-Transaction-Based Call of Duty Now Worldwide.

Those guys just know how to make money.
$20 says they have a CoD MMO by 2013, ported to every console and spam-network social-network

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
I think this micro-transaction thing could work with Call Of Duty regardless of what part of the world, I mean it's there for people who want to earn it or just buy it I'm 99% sure people would buy it for 99p rather than getting somebody to risk having their xbox hacked and all that jazz for 1200 MSP

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'm pretty sure if they tried to release it here, it would be met with heavy resistance just because of how stupid it would be to balance. Activision already tried to hint at ways to rip off Call Of Duty fans (monthly fees system) which was heavily criticised due to Bobby's philosophy that money is better than a good product which some [needs citation] would claim he's just reusing a business model that is usually applied to something absolutely soulless like bread and petrol.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
it'll probably just be a F2P COD with micro-transaction
that's nothing new here in asia, we already have tonnes of that kind of games (copying CS styile and adding the micro-transaction thing) and most of them are pretty popular in internet cafes