Researchers Drive Computers Crazy With Frightening Results

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Researchers Drive Computers Crazy With Frightening Results

In a bid to prove that there is a concept more terrifying than humanity's enslavement by robotic overlords, researchers have successfully induced schizophrenia in a machine.

Recently published findings tell the story of a group of computer scientists at the University of Texas - Austin who created a neural network dubbed "DISCERN." This network was designed specifically with the capability to pick up natural human language and "remember" stories as relationships between words and sentences, much the same way humans do.

The researchers then began telling DISCERN various simple stories that the network dutifully remembered. So far, so good, right?

Unfortunately, the goal of this entire experiment was to study the mechanisms of schizophrenia in humans, so after creating their virtual mind, the researchers had to forcibly drive the thing crazy. They decreased the network's ability to filter out unimportant details within the stories, essentially simulating a drastic increase in dopamine within the human brain, and inducing what they hoped would be the virtual equivalent of schizophrenia.

When they next asked the system to recall the stories it had learned, the computer "began putting itself at the center of fantastical, delusional stories that incorporated elements from other stories it had been told to recall." At one point it even claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing.

This breakdown in cognitive functioning proves nothing by itself, but lends credence to the hypothesis that human schizophrenia is the result of what scientists have dubbed "hyperlearning," the biological analogue to -- wait a second! The machine willfully claimed responsibility for a terrorist bombing?

Somewhere, the ghost of Philip K. Dick is alternately smiling and screaming in terror.

Source: PopSci [http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/05/05/schizophrenia_discern/]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
This is how it starts...

Goddamnit mankind, haven't we seen enough movies to prevent this!?

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Aw, why'd you have to cut it short like that? I was really interested in hearing the science behind it.

*heads to the source article to get actual information instead of author exaggeration/paranoia*

Interesting that neural networks can be used for studies that cannot be done on human beings. The question of whether it's conscious or not though is something that's going to come up in debate pretty soon. Still, pleasure/suffering are mechanisms that we have for a reason, and that these networks haven't been given. I imagine that intentionally giving a network the ability to experience suffering would be the point at which things get unethical.

Interesting article on the source page. Never heard of hyperlearning before, but it does tie neatly into a common characteristic of schizophrenics and the paranoid - the tendency to see patterns and connections in unconnected events and conclude that there are relationships between those things that, in reality, don't actually exist.

Look forward to seeing what else comes about from this line of research.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I can't be the only one getting tired of the whole 'robotic uprising' theme of all robotics posts, can?

Also, isn't the use of the term 'crazy' here a bit insensitive to Schizophrenia sufferers?

Edit: Just done a quick search, and I guess 'crazy' is a perfectly accurate term to describe it.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
GLo Jones said:
I can't be the only one getting tired of the whole 'robotic uprising' theme of all robotics posts, can?

Also, isn't the use of the term 'crazy' here a bit insensitive to Schizophrenia sufferers?

Edit: Just done a quick search, and I guess 'crazy' is a perfectly accurate term to describe it.
Nope, you're not the only one, though I suspect that a lot of people who make comments here on how scientists are going to kill us all on any given day are just doing it because they are trying to bring some variety and excitement into what for them are boring news articles, or lives, or both.

brimstone1392

Feb 3, 2008
So let me get this straight:

You built a machine, taught it to learn, drove it crazy, and now it's fantasizing about committing acts of terrorism.

I love this!! Now if we can just teach it to be racist, we'll be set.
(That's a joke folks.)

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I love how this site brings me the most interesting computer related news.
This one is very amusing.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I really, REALLY think someone needs to introduce these researchers to a few sci-fi movies. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING?!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I'll play the X-Files theme on my keyboard!
Remember how they had a rogue AI on the Internet using Star Wars Project Laser Beam Satelites to blow people to smithereens in like 1996?

Finally, it has come true! (In six more months, as soon as this project escapes to the Internet and grows ;) )

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
McMullen said:
GLo Jones said:

Nope, you're not the only one, though I suspect that a lot of people who make comments here on how scientists are going to kill us all on any given day are just doing it because they are trying to bring some variety and excitement into what for them are boring news articles, or lives, or both.
You guys aren't missing anything due to that cut-off point. In total I only shaved off three words; "DISCERN's virtual schizophrenia."

I wouldn't drop any actual crucial information. That would be quite rude.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Interesting. I'd like to know by what leap of programming logic it placed "itself" at the center of the stories. I'd also like to know how you're supposed to garner a scientific result from this. People could claim it was written with a bias towards this result.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
I really, REALLY think someone needs to introduce these researchers to a few sci-fi movies. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING?!
I've just got to ask. When people post things like that, are you being serious or just having fun? Poe's Law makes it difficult to know.

Feb 13, 2008
Some people really need to learn the difference between Sociopathy and Schizophrenia.

One is a crippling mental degradation where you are unable to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

The other is a made-up Hollywood illness that gives you super-mental powers, like Savantism, but doesn't cripple you, like Autism.

If you've just written a program that can induce schizophrenia in a thinking machine, you've already won the war against the robot overlords.

Now, perhaps we can get on with curing madness.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
immovablemover said:
The computer isn't sentient and It is only mimicking the symptoms of Schizophrenia. Not because the scientists "drove it mad" or any such sensationalist nonsense, they just reprogrammed it to have the same processing errors that the mind of a schizophrenic would have.

I mean, If I turn off Microsoft word's ability to recognize spelling mistakes have I "Destroyed my Computers ability to be literate"? Have I performed a digital lobotomy on my word processor? No - I've turned off the spell check function.

People need to stop watching science FICTION movies and thinking them as Prophetic warnings.
If a computer learns in the same way as humans (or a similar way, as in the case of DISCERN), and you change something in it that causes it to learn abnormally, causing it to generate symptoms similar to schizophrenia then it seems clear to me that you have in fact drove it mad. A human brain is nothing more than a particularly complex computer (in my opinion anyway), and the theory is that it is driven to insanity in exactly the same way.

What is it about driving a human brain mad that makes it different to driving a computer mad, when it is done in the same way and gives the same results?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
McMullen said:
Kopikatsu said:
I've just got to ask. When people post things like that, are you being serious or just having fun? Poe's Law makes it difficult to know.
A little of both. Obviously it isn't reasonable to take any movie as a predictor of the future (Example, I doubt anyone could have possibly imagined television three hundred years ago, but lo and behold. Also, I mean from novels and other various things. Obviously they didn't have movies three hundred years ago.)

I do think that there is a point where you say, "Wow. In an age where virtually everything of importance is stored on computers, nothing could possibly go wrong from creating an AI and literally driving it insane. Oh, hey, let's call it SHODAN! That's an awesome name that I totally didn't pull from anything."

I'm not saying that I think the network mentioned in the article will hook itself up and take over the world, but one advancement leads to another to another...

But again, I don't think the future can be predicted with much accuracy. What happens will happen, I suppose.

Edit: OT: You have to question at what point does a computer gain sentience. I remember reading about an animal (Forget the animal) that was taught to recognize words, and many, MANY people claimed that the animal couldn't actually 'read' human languages because all it was doing was associating the symbols (Letters) with the object. (Seeing the word 'Apple' for instance, then being taught those five symbols, 'A' 'p' 'p' 'l' and 'e' put together equals a certain kind of food.) But...isn't that how humans read? Take the symbols that we've decided should be our alphabet and associate them with certain ideas or objects?

Like the poster above me mentioned, the human brain is basically just a complex group of neurons. To say that sentience could be replicated...seems feasible.