Activision Hopes PSN Problems Won't Delay Black Ops DLC Launch

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision Hopes PSN Problems Won't Delay Black Ops DLC Launch

The publisher already expects to make less money than the same time last year, but how much less would appear to depend on Sony.

Activision is the latest publisher to come out and admit that the ongoing issues with PSN are causing problems. Speaking during a recent earnings call, Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg expressed a concern that the outages would lead to a delay in the next batch of Call of Duty: Black Ops DLC for the PS3.

Hirshberg said that Activision was hopeful that Sony would resolve the issues with its online network before its planned release of the Escalation pack on the PS3 and PC. The pack, which is already available on the Xbox 360, is scheduled for release later this quarter. Recent comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109866-Sony-Denies-May-31-Deadline-For-PSN-Return] from Sony's Japanese spokesperson, Shigenori Yoshida, suggested that Sony's deadline for restoring the service was May 31st, but Sony's Patrick Seybold has since refuted this idea, saying that there was no such deadline.

Activision's COO, Thomas Tippl, said that the publisher was already expecting to see reduced income compared to last year, thanks to the loss of "high-margin revenue" from PS3 downloadable content. The degree to which the outages will affect revenues is hard to gauge however, as not only does it depend on when PSN comes back on line, but Activision also has a smaller roster of titles compared to the same time in 2010.

Source: Seeking Alpha [http://seekingalpha.com/article/268912-activision-blizzard-s-ceo-discusses-q1-2011-results-earnings-call-transcript] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300726/activision-hopeful-playstation-network-down-time-will-end-soon-expects-loss-of-high-margin-revenue/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
Well maybe if they quit releasing the DLC a month later on the PS3, than maybe more people would be willing to buy them. It wouldn't affect the release date now because of the outages, but it is the main reason I'm not getting it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Drexlor said:
Well maybe if they quit releasing the DLC a month later on the PS3, than maybe more people would be willing to buy them. It wouldn't affect the release date now because of the outages, but it is the main reason I'm not getting it.
Well, they made a deal with MS for the monies. They can't breach the contract, can they?

The one thing big businesses fear...lawsuits from other big businesses.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't have much sympathy for Activision right now, so their pool of money that they dive into gets a little lower, they will get it back when PSN goes back online.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Drexlor said:
Well, they made a deal with MS for the monies. They can't breach the contract, can they?

The one thing big businesses fear...lawsuits from other big businesses.
Big businesses don't fear lawsuits from other big businesses. If that was true, they'd never sue each other. What big businesses fear is lack of business.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
Haven't the essentially been releasing DLC on retail disks since COD4? No? They are full games? Oh...

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Activision obviously need to shut the hell up. Maybe they should ***** at the hackers breaking the PSN, than Sony not being able to fix it. It's like complaining the wind is getting in and it's the owners fault for having a window that could be shattered by the fucking boulder that came through it. I'm certain the amount of effort it took to hack and break Sony was a tonne more than the general gaming (I.E. Those complaining) seem to realise.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm very concerned about this news and I have great anxiety of the future of Activision, I didn't realise how close to bankruptcy they must be

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Yes, god forbid Activision loses out on some money for this bullshit DLC.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
BrotherRool said:
I'm very concerned about this news and I have great anxiety of the future of Activision, I didn't realise how close to bankruptcy they must be
Yes. They and Sony need to start overcharging us for DLC again... and quick. Or else how are Bobby Kotik and Hirai going to be able to take those long vacations together at those fancy resorts where you can't take pictures.

What I'm curious about is if the deadline set by the spokesman from Japan is just a benchmark or a thinly veiled threat. I get the feeling that a whole lot of people are going to lose their jobs over this anyway but considering how long it's taking (if I were in charge) I would be considering scrapping the whole department and outsourcing it to a company that knows what it's doing.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
well that's one good thing to come out of this whole debacle. Activision losing money, Sony wherever you are please, take your time, I can wait..

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
So, Activision don't actually care about Sony or us poor PSN users, no, they care about their figgin' DLC coming out on time and making a few doller.

What a bunch as assholes. I hope they lose a shit tonne of money because of this. And I'm saying this as frequent a CoD player.