BioWare Trims Mass Effect 3 Squad to Focus on Deeper Relationships

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Trims Mass Effect 3 Squad to Focus on Deeper Relationships

Returning characters will also receive some extra development, says BioWare.

BioWare's Casey Hudson says that Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305130444&sr=8-1] will see the return of plenty of familiar faces, but the number of characters that the player will be able to take into the field with him or her will be much smaller than in Mass Effect 2.

The player had the choice of between eleven and thirteen different team mates in Mass Effect 2, depending on whether he or she had access to the Cerberus Network, and whether they bought the Kasumi - Stolen Memory DLC. Hudson said that BioWare now felt like this was a little bit too much, and was trimming that number down. He didn't say exactly how big the squad pool would be, however, just that the focus would be on deeper and more interesting interactions.

Despite the smaller squad, you won't have to worry about missing your favorite former squad mate, as Hudson said that every main character from the previous games would make an appearance in ME3, provided they survive the previous games. These characters might not be exactly as players remember them though, as they will have grown and changed in the time between games.

Art director Derek Watts used the example of Jack, who he said had matured and softened a little since Mass Effect 2. "You can only stay punk rock for so long, you know," he said. "Even Johnny Rotten eventually goes, 'I've got to do something different.' She'd get tired of walking around completely naked and she'd probably grow her hair out, but she's still Jack and still kinda punk - shaved at the sides with a pony tail at the back." Watts also pre-empted fears that characters would get really radical makeovers, saying that it was the same people redesigning the characters as had designed them in the first place.

This seems to be another example of BioWare refining existing features for Mass Effect 3 rather than adding new ones. The studio has already said that it is tweaking [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109207-BioWare-Mass-Effect-3-Combat-Perfected ] the combat and streamlining [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109810-No-Meaningless-Stat-Games-in-Mass-Effect-3 ] the role-playing elements to focus on the ones that were really important, and now it's paring down the squad to make it more interesting. Depending on your point of view, this is either a dumbing down or a distillation of what Mass Effect is all about, but considering how good the last two games have been, the latter seems a lot more likely.

Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for release on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 early next year.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300860/news/mass-effect-3-to-focus-on-smaller-more-intimate-squad/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... did I see the words "Mass Effect 3"?

Yee gods, the flames! Take cover!

Actually, that sounds okay. I look forward to meeting Jack again, I liked her. I'm curious to see what happens to the rest of the crew. Here's hoping for more of Wrex and Liara.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Sounds good to me. Though I loved all my squadmates in ME2, the ship was remarkably crowded. If Bioware can focus on, say, 6-8 squadmates and give the others LOTSB-sized roles elsewhere in the game, it should be great!

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Dont mind too much - the squad in ME2 was simply too big in the end - you never used all of them and keeping track could be a little difficult the first time you played through.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Sweet, this is actually really good to hear.
As much as I loved the squad members in ME2, the fact that there were so many of them meant that it was hard to get to know them all and have them all get the time they deserved.
As an example, I hardly used Thane and Samara and even Tali, since they arrive late into the game and Legion I only used during his loyalty mission and the suicide mission.
This sucks because they were all great characters. I'm glad to see the number trimmed down for the third game, it allows for each party member to get more time.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I'd rather have 6 Extremely well developed characters, who I can deeply involve myself with than 14 good developed characters that I somehow know it could be better.

I think there making a good choice.

Dec 14, 2009
Sounds good to me.

To be perfectly honest, I think it would be ridiculous to expect Bioware to make all the possible characters from ME 2 to return as team mates in ME 3, depending on who lived and who died, there are just too many variables to add any major plot commitment to. As long as my choices are at least acknowledged, I'll be happy.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Oh God! Everything should stay the same AND be completely different! As if that's not totally easy and realistic.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I see no problem with slightly less crew members. I never used half of them anyways, and they never seemed all that interesting. If this means more depth then I'm all for it.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Half my squad never left the ship in ME2, so it does make sense to cut them back. Quality over quantity.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I am okay with this, it is probably for the better. 13 was a few too many in my opinion for ME2, sometimes I felt that I didn't need that many squadmates when you only take two out for every mission.

Apr 28, 2008
Wait, how could they change much? From what I've seen and read, ME3 will take place right after Arrival. Not sure that so much characters can change in such a short time. Although its probably for the best, if we can avoid the "callibration" thing where you talk to a teammate 3 times, and after that they don't have anything good to say.

Or if you talk to Jack, most of the time you'll end up with her telling you to fuck off every time.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I like the sound of this, Bioware. Always thought the squad structure in ME1 was a bit limited and ME2 had pointless characters (Gameplay wise).

But If Tali isn't a squad member, you will evoke the force of a million angry fanboys.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
To be fair in ME 2 a lot of people just stayed on the ship the whole time as I picked the teammates that complemented my abilities best (also there was quite a bit of overlap of skills in the crew).

Logan Westbrook said:
"Even Johnny Rotten eventually goes, 'I've got to do something different.'
Which is why he's doing Butter Commercials now.

<youtube=7mSE-Iy_tFY>

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
So long as my squad contains...

Garrus
Wrex
Kaidan
Liara
Thane
Legion
Tali

I really don't mind who else stays, although I hope they'll still produce some new characters.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I'll assume that Kaiden/Ashley will return in ME3 as a squad mate. That's one... who will the other five be? O:

I'd better be gettin' me Tali back D: !

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Fine with me. Just let me take Garrus, Tali, and Legion with me. I confess I never played ME1, so I don't know who I should love...

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
This could end horribly or be a huge hit, All these new releases are defiantly making quite a few fans i know nervous.... time will tell time will tell.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Makes sense, with all your old buddies from ME1 probably coming back, there's bound to be some doubles anyway. Grunt and Morinth probably wont be back, because they fill the same role as Wrex and Liara; and Thane's probably dead. I hope Legion gets a lot more love, he really got shafted when they stuck him in the 2nd to last mission.