Interplay Brings Back Battle Chess

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Interplay Brings Back Battle Chess

Interplay is reviving the classic Battle Chess [http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Chess-Bundle-Jewel-Case-Pc/dp/B00005A9WS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305133584&sr=8-1] franchise with a reboot for the PC and iOS that will arrive later this summer.

Originally released in 1988, Battle Chess was a fairly basic computerized chess game with a unique twist that made it an instant classic: the pieces would come to life and do battle in animated clashes on the board. The combat couldn't be controlled and had no impact on the outcome - the game operated strictly by the rules of chess - but it looked awesome and really made the game stand out in the then-crowded chess genre.

The game was popular enough to spawn a few sequels but aside from a 2008 Battle Chess Special Edition re-release, nothing has been heard from the franchise since the mid-90s. But Interplay is gearing up to introduce the game to the current generation with an all-new Battle Chess [http://www.subduedsoftware.com/games/battle-chess] game currently in development at Subdued Software. The game will offer play against the computer or against human players online, special "Skill Challenges," a "Battleground Training mode" to test strategies and of course "stunning visuals and clever animations" that can be enjoyed from multiple viewing angles.

On a related note, Battle vs. Chess website [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/battle-chess-checking-in-to-pc-ios-get-pawned-this-summer/] is still active, saying the game will be out on May 17.

Interplay's new Battle Chess is being developed for the PC and iOS, with more platforms expected to be announced in the future, and is slated for a digital release later this year.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I loved Battle Chess. Can't wait for the reboot! Now if I can only get it for my Incredible, I'd be even happier.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
This deserves an AWWWWW YIIIIEAAAAAH!

I remember playing this on my dads old DOS-computer.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been searching for this game forever. Our old DOS computer finally died and I could not find a working version to use with DOSbox. Finally! Please have a "classic" mode. I loved those sound effects.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Cool.
The closest thing to this that I've played recently is the Wizard Chess they worked into the Order of the Phoenix game.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
It's downright tragic they missed the whole "Harry Potter" craze. They could have worked out a licensing agreement and called it "Wizard's Chess".

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I loved me some Battle Chess back in high school. What they really need is an Android version though bugger iOS

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
BEST GAME EVER. Seriously, I love chess from when I was young and my grandfather taught me how to play. Funny thing, he wasn't really teaching me to play chess, he was teaching me how to lose and take it like a man (I never beat him, not once) because he noticed when I would play NES at his house and lose a game I'd "nerdrage" over not being good enough.
Life lesson, and learning chess from one of the smartest men I've ever known (he was tournament level good at chess), one of the best things in my life.
Ever since, I've been an avid chessplayer.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I loved Battle Chess, especially some of the more amusing capture animations.

My favourite was the Monty Python and The Holy Grail homage, Knight takes Knight, although the Pawns had some pretty funny tricks up their sleeves too (like a swift kick to the bollocks), probably to make up for being the weakest piece.

Similarly, the King had an impressive bag of tricks, like a pistol and a bomb, but it took an entirely different game-plan to see the capture animations of these vulnerable pieces that can only move one square.

ltmarcos

Jan 25, 2010
I remember playing a version of this back in the early days of windows. Though I more fondly remember the Star Wars version that came with the very first CDROM my parents bought. The thing included about 10 games including Wing Commander 2 and Strike Commander

SurfKansas

Nov 25, 2008
Hopefully they get a Droid version soon. I loved that game as a kid and would like to be able to play it on my Evo.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
No actual castle rooks? I am disappoint! I loved seeing them move in the original game. Some fatass with a hammer just won't be the same.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Can't say I ever played that. Did play Chessmaster 9000 a lot though. That was very fun x3

Always ended it in stale mate though, I had no clue what I was actually doing XD