Rovio Adds Browser Game To Angry Birds Empire

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rovio Adds Browser Game To Angry Birds Empire

It's official: With the addition of a new web browser version, there is simply no escape from Angry Birds.

This latest iteration of the wildly popular avian-launching game was unveiled this morning at Google's ongoing I/O event. The search engine giant recently added an Apple-style app store for its Chrome web browser, and Angry Birds seems to be something of a flagship game for the service.

As a result, the announcement also touted certain features within the game exclusive to the Chrome browser. Though Angry Birds should eventually run in any browser -- it's built on the open WebGL platform -- the Chrome version includes exclusive levels, "Chrome bombs" and other special additions that you can only find in the game's Google-branded browser incarnation.

Fortunately for impatient fans, there's no wait for the latest version of Angry Birds. The title is already available on the Chrome store, for the low, low price of "free." [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/aknpkdffaafgjchaibgeefbgmgeghloj]

Chrome fans are likely giddy, but what about the rest of you? Is this enough to make you abandon Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer? Has Google really just dominated another segment of the 'net with the help of a glorified Flash game? Is anyone else hoping this signals an inevitable DOOM port?

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/angry-birds-gets-a-web-version-in-google-chrome/]

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Not Worth Downloading Chrome To Get This.
So YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS

Sometimes I gotta mix it up. =P

Dec 14, 2009
Sorry, can't abandon the Fox for this.

Never piss off a Firefox, they're more cunning than a fox that was made Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Locked and downLoaded, playing as we speak.

Edit: It seems that I've stumbled upon something that looks like a twin towers level..?

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Never piss off a Firefox, they're more cunning than a fox that was made Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.
Thank God for Blackadder!
Also... I have both Chrome, and Internet Explorer, but I prefer the Explorer. It just sounds more... Adventurous :)

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Fronzel said:
There was a browser version of Angry Birds a long time ago. It was called Crush the Castle.
My thoughts exactly. x1000 this.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
ScoopMeister said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Thank God for Blackadder!
Also... I have both Chrome, and Internet Explorer, but I prefer the Explorer. It just sounds more... Adventurous :)
yup, its allows you to explore a wide range of viruses and spyware :) enjoy. The fox shall not be taken unawares!

Naner

Dec 16, 2010
You dare make me open another browser other than Firefox? Lucky I have all five installed. Too bad I can hardly look at Chrome's logo now.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Oh god, another version. There's a reason that Crush the Castle didn't have twenty thousand levels.

Not that I'ma play either way, but has Rovio added a guide-line for the birds yet? I mean, after how many iterations of this thing, you'd think someone would bring it up.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
With Kongregate existing, this really shouldn't be effective.

But it will be.

Luckily I use Firefox and own Chrome as a back-up, so no loss for me

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Checked it out a couple hours ago; as someone who hasn't played any other version of Angry Birds I have to say it's pretty fun, but still very buggy as it's still in beta. I look forward to them adding more levels/fixing some of the bugs.

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
Why?
Really, why would someone would so desperately want to waste so much time on this?
(and download Chrome, when there's firefox AND castle crusher?)

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Fronzel said:
There was a browser version of Angry Birds a long time ago. It was called Crush the Castle.
Exactly. In all honesty, I have no idea why Angry Birds is so popular. There's plenty of games in its genre and they're all far superior to it and free.