Rockstar Could Go Gun-Free Someday

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rockstar Could Go Gun-Free Someday

Though its name has become synonymous with gun-filled games like GTA, Rockstar thinks that one day it could make a game where the player doesn't shoot anybody at all.

Let's do a word association exercise: I'll say the name of a developer, and you say the name of a game or series you associate it with. "Valve." You probably thought about Portal and Half-Life, right? "Capcom." Most people would probably think of Street Fighter or Resident Evil. Now, how about "Rockstar"? Most likely, you thought about Grand Theft Auto or last year's stellar Red Dead Redemption - both of which are primarily games in which your player character shoots lots and lots of men very dead.

But not all of Rockstar's games have to be quite so blood-soaked. In an interview with The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/may/11/la-noire-exclusive-interview], Rockstar's VP of development Jeronimo Barrera said that there was no question that the studio could someday do a game devoid of gunplay - and that L.A. Noire could be the first step towards that.

[video=3199]

"We're flirting with that in this game - there are cases when you never draw a gun or chase a criminal," said Barrera. "It's something that's going to happen sooner than later. I have children and when we get together as a family we play games, we don't watch TV. We're a generation that's always been around interactivity, and in the future something like L.A. Noire could be broadcast directly onto your cable set-top box. It's the future."

For Rockstar, says Barrera, L.A. Noire's facial-recognition gameplay and more cerebral approach is as risky as the (then) mind-blowing open-world approach the team took to GTA3: "[L.A. Noire] is a bit more cerebral, you have to talk to people, you have to figure out if they're telling you the truth, but it's taking that same sort of step that GTA took. We're going from having a cinematic experience that you can control to a human experience that you can control."

The goal with the game's facial recognition technology, he said, was to add a human element to the characters - so that players would be genuinely watching a performance instead of just a talking head on the screen.

This doesn't mean that games had to do away with the shooting entirely. "Sure, there's a place for shooting games, I'm a big fan of Dead Space 2, but we have to expand our horizons."

L.A. Noire is out around the world next week.

(Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-rockstar-anticipates-gun-free-future])

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, as confused I am to hear that, I'm even more confused that Rockstar is saying that L.A. Noire, the game they kinda only publish, is the first step of their studio towards going gun-free.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

Sorry, but, just, no. Not happening despite what they think.

Well not if they want money anyway

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Jonny1188 said:
License and make a Dexter game!
Unfortunately an abomination had been made by that name and franchise.
I doubt one could truely embody the awesomeness of that concept in an interactive story-telling experience, or whatever you call a heavy rain realistic 'no guns' approach.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Well midnight club had 5 games (there's a few re-releases) released since the year 2000 no exactly small foot note.

Danhoyt

Feb 19, 2009
Maybe Jeronimo Barrera and John Funk just forgot that Rockstar made that table tennis game. It's the only table tennis game I've ever wanted to play. They should get credit for that.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Braedan said:
damn, ninja'd twice. oh well. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Games_presents_Table_Tennis rockstar did to table tennis...
Someone mentioned Midnight whatever driving too.
I immediately thought of Bully... I don't remember shooting anyone in that.

Or state of emergency but that's probably because I could only stand playing it for 5 mins.
TheIronRuler said:
Jonny1188 said:
License and make a Dexter game!
Unfortunately an abomination had been made by that name and franchise.
I doubt one could truely embody the awesomeness of that concept in an interactive story-telling experience, or whatever you call a heavy rain realistic 'no guns' approach.
As long as it wasn't a collection of QTEs I would give it a shot. I'm one of those people who like the books & the shows.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I guess that what he is trying to say is a story driven TPS game, racing and sports games usually dont have guns so it wasnt a challenge, this however is a challenge, imagine Half Life 2 without guns. Yeah, basicly the entire game is the first level.

And thats the thing, instead of each level being challenges that are resolved with gunfights they are challenges resolved by dialogue. In the first level of Half Life 2 manages to keep your interest, even though you dont use a gun, with having the characters and the enviorment telling the story.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
This could be good, though I doubt they'd make a habit of it. What I find odd is that they still release all this video of gun fights for a game that is supposed to have sparse use of the gun in your holster. This is starting to shake my trust that the game will deliver what it promises.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
You know, they just said "guns free". They never said anything about taking out violence or knives or any other sort of weapons.