223: TGI: Power in the Making

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
TGI: Power in the Making

It seems an unlikely strategy at first: Join up with your competitors to promote your region and hope everyone reaps the benefits. But what has succeeded for Montreal and Austin is now benefitting the game development community in central North Carolina. Russ Pitts profiles the Triangle Game Initiative.

Read Full Article

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Neat article Russ. I had no idea that all this was going on right in my back yard. You're right though when i think of game development I tend to think of LA or New York. Good to know that NC has it's own nice little pool of talent.

crowlski

Mar 20, 2008
Great article, Russ! For anyone who is interested, the next Triangle Game Conference will be held April 7-8, 2010.

nmaster64

Nov 7, 2007
Had a lot of fun at TGC last year, very informative and an unparalleled opportunity for networking in the area. Really looking forward to the next one...

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Interesting article, Russ Pitts.

I really didn't know very much about the Triangle Game Initiative before reading this article.

I can see how an alliance between smaller developers would be beneficial.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
As a programming student hoping to get into game programming or animation once I graduate its nice to know of a place like this. Too bad I already have my list of places I want to work.

1. Blizzard
2. Double Fine
3. Bethesda

None of which are in the North Carolina area.

This list will probably change in a few years. I might even find out working for these companies might suck once I get said dream job. If this happened, then I'll definitely look into this area. Because these developers are smaller than most, I might even get to do a bunch of different jobs I like instead of one job I despise. Thats the good thing about smaller developers: more jobs.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
This is certainly an interesting and encouraging read nonetheless. Returning from VGXPO a founder of a small NJ studio putting out their first game recommended moving to the West Coast if you want a job in games, as there just isn't as much on the East Coast. However, it would be great to see a larger presence here, and it's looking like that may happen. With this triangle, Harmonix and newly found Moonshot Games in Boston and developers like Atari in NYC and Vicarious Visions in Albany, getting a job in games on the East coast may be easier.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
ccesarano said:
This is certainly an interesting and encouraging read nonetheless. Returning from VGXPO a founder of a small NJ studio putting out their first game recommended moving to the West Coast if you want a job in games, as there just isn't as much on the East Coast. However, it would be great to see a larger presence here, and it's looking like that may happen. With this triangle, Harmonix and newly found Moonshot Games in Boston and developers like Atari in NYC and Vicarious Visions in Albany, getting a job in games on the East coast may be easier.
Holy crap, Vicarious Visions is like fifteen minutes from me. That's crazy.

A shame I don't have any of the qualifications they're looking for....