Sega Brings Back Cult-Hit Crush With 3DS's Crush3D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sega Brings Back Cult-Hit Crush With 3DS's Crush3D

One of the titles that started the 2D to 3D gameplay craze is coming back on the 3DS.

The PSP's Crush [http://www.amazon.com/Crush-Sony-PSP/dp/B000NRUV4U], released in 2007, was heralded as one of the system's most unique titles due to its primary gameplay mechanic. The puzzle game forced players to collect marbles by switching between 2D and 3D perspectives, enabling new paths through each level. Sega recently announced that Crush is back, but on the 3DS in the form of Crush3D.

It's a title you could either interpret as Crush 3D, or "crushed" in l33t-speak. Sega got pretty lucky there.

Players will go back into the mind of Danny as he tries to cure himself of mental ailments (he's collecting his marbles, get it?). Sega says that Crush3D is based on Crush, but features the addition of new locations, new characters, and a hint system. There's also StreetPass functionality, for anyone that can actually use it outside of Japan, that'll leave gifts for friends to collect.

[gallery=238]

It's the perfect game for a 3D system, and should literally make the world pop right into your face when Danny does his "crush" move. The graphics are lighter and a little more cartoony this time, possibly to appeal to a younger crowd, but the addition of a hint system makes me believe it'll still be a challenge.

Crush3D is coming to the 3DS in North America on September 6, and in Europe/Austrailia on September 9.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
This, actually looks really cool and fun to play...

I really didn't want to buy a 3DS you know, stupid sexy Crush3D...

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Seriously? Are there no origional games coming to the 3DS? only ports of old games? That's all I ever hear about.

May 25, 2010
The original game on PSP was amazing. Best game on the system easily and one of the best puzzle games this generation, second only to Portal.

What I don't like is the new FUCKING art style. What is this?!?! It looks hideous!

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Braedan said:
Seriously? Are there no origional games coming to the 3DS? only ports of old games? That's all I ever hear about.
The graphics have been changed and you can bet new levels will be added. Plus, it's a game that should play to the 3DS' strengths so it should prove to be a worthwhile port.

That said, this kind of gameplay looks like it could get mindbendingly difficult in the later stages. I'd love to see what people could do with some kind of custom map tools, though that's probably a pipe dream.