Kinect Takes the Hassle Out of Trying On Trousers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kinect Takes the Hassle Out of Trying On Trousers

Thanks to Kinect, trying on clothes has never been easier, because you don't have to actually do it anymore.

A clothes shop in Russia is now using Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305220437&sr=8-1] to give itself a competitive edge in the garment business. A new augmented reality fitting room installed in the shop allows customers to try on clothes without having to get naked, and without the clothes even having to exist.

Moscow's TopShop, a store that evidently serves refreshments and is manned by a model DJ, teamed up with augmented reality company AR Door for the technology. When customers step in front of the virtual fitting room, a piece of 3D clothing from the store is displayed on their body onscreen. They can switch garments by moving their arms to the sides of the screen.

It reportedly uses Kinect to track a user's body and move the dress as he/she moves. Customers can even turn around, and the clothing will turn with them.

It doesn't look like it works very well, but it could at least give shoppers an idea if they actually want to take a piece of clothing into the dressing room beforehand, adding another step to the already involved shopping process. Depending on who you ask, that could be a a very bad, or very good thing.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Seems like a waste of time to me, but I only care about clothes that fit well. I don't give a rat's ass about fashion, and thus I wouldn't have to worry about how it's going to look so much.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Meh.

You could just hold it up to yourself in a mirror, and that doesn't always give a very good impression a lot of the time anyway.

Viva la fucking revolution though I suppose.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Exactly how is this different from simply holding the clothes up against yourself and then looking in a mirror?

I admire the idea and it is cool, it's just I don't see the point.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
A new augmented reality fitting room installed in the shop allows customers to try on clothes without having to get naked, and without the clothes even having to exist.
I would like to officially protest anything that reduces my frequency of getting naked.

In other news, is there anyone else here who saw this and immediately thought of the Max Headroom episode "Neurostim"? (About 26 minutes in. [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5159636661461723061])

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If i chose my clothes with that instead of actually trying them on i would end up with a lot of useless tight or loose clothes. While useless it does look like a fun thing to mess around with while your girlfriend is changing.

CG NUTS

May 1, 2010
they should make that for barbers. cause you can take of ugly clothes buth not a bad hairstyle.

RSparowe

Apr 25, 2011
Didn't take Microsoft very long to steal this Google Demo Slam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-5BIhItn18

Chaza

Dec 15, 2010
Hehe the DJ lady acted funny.
O.T. That's pretty cool, if really pointless. Whats so bad about trying on clothes normally?!
I'm just jealous that it's in russia and not where I live :mad:

But I can see this working... Trying on clothes on xbox live and buying them if they look cool!

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
I would definitely go shopping much more often if drinking was involved. "A porter with your jeans sir?"

OT: I suppose after several generations of updates it could properly map and lay clothes on you correctly. This tech seems little beyond the charcoal on wall level when "we" want Pixar.

Whoolpurse

Jul 14, 2008
Wow fancy store! A DJ, And a dude who offers you champagne? (Or water in a fancy way, I don't know)

Anyways, Seems very redundant.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Another interesting, if mildly trivial, use of the Kinect. Well done, guys.

HankMan said:
No matter how you try and dress it, this is still just a pointless gimmick.
I have to say, you are quite prolific with your monosyllabic puns. Well done, and may it please you to know that you've earned yourself a few mild chuckles.