Nintendo Shoots Down Online Play for StarFox 64 3D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Shoots Down Online Play for StarFox 64 3D

The 3DS version of Nintendo's StarFox 64 will feature its classic multiplayer mode, but you can't play it online.

Nintendo introduced the StarFox 64 3D [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosmo-Black/dp/B002I096AA/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305222294&sr=1-3] will not feature online play.

StarFox 64 included a four-player multiplayer deathmatch mode where players could kill each other in Arwings, Landmaster tanks, or even on foot in the bodies of StarFox's bazooka-wielding anthropomorphic team members. A recent Japanese retailer briefing has unveiled that this mode will indeed be included in the 3DS's upcoming StarFox 64 3D, but with online play sadly excluded. If players want to do a barrel roll to avoid each others' attacks in StarFox 64 3D, they'll have to be in the same room.

It's disappointing, considering that online play has been heralded in 3DS games like Metroid Prime Hunters [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I0IVC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305223560&sr=1-1]. Not to be overly critical, but I hope this isn't a signal of future online support in Nintendo titles such as Mario Kart 3DS, and it very well may not be considering StarFox 64 3D's nature as a remake and a primarily single-player game. Thankfully, the game's multiplayer mode will support download play, allowing those that don't own the game to get in on the action. StarFox 64 3D will also take pictures of players' faces and display them for easy recognition.

In addition, the briefing revealed that StarFox 64 3D features both "3DS" and "64" modes, presumably meaning the original game will be present without graphical updates (and other changes), and that players will be able to use the 3DS's gyroscope to tilt the system as a control method. Just tilt forward to use the boost to get through.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/12/star_fox_64_3ds_details/]

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
manythings said:
Are they just selling an N64 game "IN 3D!!!"? Cause seems like bullshit.
This. All the strongest titles are ports or remakes. MGS3, Super Street Fighter IV, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64 and one other that doesn't come immediately to mind.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
manythings said:
This. All the strongest titles are ports or remakes. MGS3, Super Street Fighter IV, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64 and one other that doesn't come immediately to mind.
At least Ocarina has Master Quest, what does Starfox have at all?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Well there goes $40 I am saving on games once I get a 3DS. If it had Online Multiplayer I would buy it though.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
subtlefuge said:
At least Ocarina has Master Quest, what does Starfox have at all?
Fully updated graphics? 3D? The ability to play it on a system that people actually still use?

I know personally I'd buy it even if it was just a re-release, because busting out my N64 just to play one game is a nuisance at best.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-releasing old titles. Heck, that's GoG.com 's whole purpose, to re-release old games to run on new platforms with no updates, and gamers do nothing but lavish praise upon them.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
*sigh*

Nintendo, you really, really don't understand what people want from multiplayer these days do you? Not everyone has up to four friends with 3DS's who get together just to play a single game. On top of that, it would be much easier for those who do to be able to just hop online and connect with their friends from wherever. Not to mention the ability to hook up with random strangers.

I'll still get this game, after all I rarely played the Starfox 64 multiplayer anyways. But Nintendo's attitude toward multiplayer in general is stuck 10 years in the past.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
manythings said:
well, still remember, it's been, what, 2 months since the 3DS launched? yeah, the launch sucked, but from what I've seen, this thing is a ***** to develop for, so I can see more diverse games coming out later on in the year. plus, just look at the DS. the two most critically acclaimed titles when it launched were Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS. so yeah, the first few months are always rough for a brand new handheld, so some delving into the backlog is acceptable for a bit. plus, it's Star Fox 64. IT'S A CLASSIC. plus, people who missed out the first time (I played it in the classic mode in Brawl) can experience it in it's entirety (same with OoT, I was around 5 when that came out).

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Doesn't seem like a big loss to me. It's not like the MP in Starfox 64 was particularly deep or engaging. It was something you dicked around with for a match or two before moving on to something else. Coding a whole bunch of online code just for that seems like it would have been a huge waste of time.

Jumwa said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-releasing old titles.
Yes there is. For all these lame re-releases we're getting, that time and effort could have gone into making something brand new. We could have had a brand new Zelda, a brand new Starfox, and so on. Instead we're getting a big pile of "been there, done that." Sure, it's kinda nice for people who for some reason skipped on the VC releases and those who are far too obsessed with graphics than anyone should be, but for the rest of us, it's just a waste of time.

Nintendo, call me when you have NEW games for me to play, not old games with a new coat of paint.

BanthaFodder said:
plus, people who missed out the first time (I played it in the classic mode in Brawl) can experience it in it's entirety (same with OoT, I was around 5 when that came out).
Again, this is a point in favor of the Wii's Virtual Console. Not wasting time upping the graphics while making us wait even longer for new titles.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Online for starfox would've been awesome, also would've been better if the original had bots....

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Oh boy another old game remade IN 3D !!!! Thank god though they aren't adding in online multi player because, lets be honest, that's really nothing but a meaningless gimmick. It's quality features like a bad 3D overlay and taking pictures of players' faces and displaying them for easy recognition that people really care about. As long as they keep focusing on important features like plastering your face in the game and avoiding anything that could be construed as original content like the plague the 3DS will continue to prosper.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Where I was from this game was called Lylat Wars, First game on my N64, it epitomizes my childhood and was the seed that started my love of games :) if they screw this up (insert hyperbolic statement of violence here)

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Yes there is. For all these lame re-releases we're getting, that time and effort could have gone into making something brand new. We could have had a brand new Zelda, a brand new Starfox, and so on. Instead we're getting a big pile of "been there, done that." Sure, it's kinda nice for people who for some reason skipped on the VC releases and those who are far too obsessed with graphics than anyone should be, but for the rest of us, it's just a waste of time.

Nintendo, call me when you have NEW games for me to play, not old games with a new coat of paint.
I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculousness. You're actually saying that some graphical updates on an older game could've measured out to a whole new game? On top of that, usually the development teams working on porting and remastering classic titles are the third-string teams who are never trusted with new, whole titles anyhow. Or the work is contracted out to outside companies.

There is nothing wrong with re-releasing old titles. Hence why GoG.com is universally hailed as a great thing by gamers. But for some reason the hyperbole of gamers when it comes to console gaming just reaches a fever pitch of absurdity.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Typical Nintendo, everyone wants and awesome feature annnnnd they just say no and end all hope of fun.

I'm stumped that people are so hyped to play their old favorite games with a texture touch up. Isn't this the forum that stands so strongly by "Graphics don't mean anything". Well apparently they do if you're willing to buy this.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I care not about the multi, Im buying it cause I loved the fuck out of starfox 64 and I want more of it even if its just the same game with better graphics