Chrono Trigger Hits Virtual Console May 16

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Chrono Trigger Hits Virtual Console May 16

As if to subtly remind us of an era when everything it touched turned to gold, Square Enix has announced the imminent Virtual Console release of beloved time-travel epic Chrono Trigger.

In case you somehow missed Chrono Trigger over the last 16 years, imagine a Final Fantasy game with the aesthetics of Dragon Quest and a time travel storyline that reads like H.G. Wells if he were reincarnated as the lovechild of James Cameron and Hayao Miyazaki. Add a wicked clever job system, and a soundtrack that rivals even the best Castlevania tunes, and you understand why some people might be excited by this news.

The May 16 release would mark the third time Chrono Trigger has been reissued following its Super Nintendo debut in 1995. To date the classic roleplaying game has also appeared on Sony's original PlayStation and the Nintendo DS. Both of those versions received a handful of upgrades, including anime cutscenes, new control schemes and even new dungeons to explore.

Sadly, this latest incarnation of Chrono Trigger appears to be a simple port of the original SNES release. Given that the Virtual Console is largely a showcase for classic games from Nintendo consoles this isn't all that surprising, but knowing that the download is not the best version of Chrono Trigger available may make it a bit more difficult sell to those gamers who aren't slavering fans already.

Then again, fans don't get much more slavering than those devoted to Square's 90s-era RPGs. This thing will probably make a mint.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Good timing I guess; what with Square's revelation their financials have taken a tumble.

I still haven't played it though... perhaps I should get get it for the DS finally.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
About...fracking...time!

Seriously, I've been bugging Nintendo about this for quite some time. Of course, since I have it on DS, this news is kinda rendered moot, but finally, it will be there for people to get if they have a Wii but not a DS, an emulator, or a PSX (or an SNES and absurd amounts of cash. I've seen new copies go for as high as $4k, and the used ones are an average of $100 last I checked).

Actually, I just remembered, I have the PSX version too. I might pick this up and then play all three versions to experience the differences.

Now all Nintendo needs to do is get Earthbound on VC and we will be SET! Just as soon as they release Mother, Mother 3, and the early Fire Emblem games Stateside, that is...

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Sadly, this latest incarnation of Chrono Trigger appears to be a simple port of the original SNES release.
There's a lot to be said for preserving games as they were originally created, with the deadlines, budget, and technology the developers had to work with at the time. Videogame preservation is generally pretty spotty, so I'm glad to see a straight port for a game like Chrono Trigger. It's not like it is lacking in its original form, anyway.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I've heard this term bandied about, but what exactly is a job system? I've played Chrono Trigger to death and i'm not sure how a job system relates to the techs or the team techs that are used in the game. Characters really don't seem to switch roles (like healer or damage dealer), or is it referring to something deeper?

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Would it kill them to just make a new game in the series? Well okay, maybe with their current financial situation it might. I really have no reason to buy ANOTHER copy of this game, though. I still have my SNES original.

I'm not sure where the "wicked clever job system" is, though.

Macgyvercas said:
Now all Nintendo needs to do is get Earthbound on VC and we will be SET! Just as soon as they release Mother, Mother 3, and the early Fire Emblem games Stateside, that is...
I would kill for Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy-War in any sort of official English capacity.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Chrono..Trigger..DROOOL!

Oh, sweet god, I'm a fanboy, but I don't care. Give me my best-time-travel-game-EVAR-fix.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
No updates that were included with the DS? That's a crime. The FF-1 version they did for iPhone had the DS updates and was a LOT better than the original (amazing) NES version.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Ne1butme said:
I've heard this term bandied about, but what exactly is a job system? I've played Chrono Trigger to death and i'm not sure how a job system relates to the techs or the team techs that are used in the game. Characters really don't seem to switch roles (like healer or damage dealer), or is it referring to something deeper?
Okey, "Job-system" might be a bit wrong. In fact, it's very wrong. CT has nothing close to the "job-system" of FF IV, etc. But I think he's hinting at the dual and triple combos, which worked quite well (except that noone got a cross-combo with Magus, but there are rumors about an excluded playable character which he would share with. I won't go into detail..)

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Should I feel bad that I have a copy of this (and Chrono Cross) for my PS1 and I've never played either? I should do an old school gaming binge sometime...

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
And when this version of Chrono Trigger doesn't sell particularly well because it is arguably inferior to the other ports they've been releasing over the last decade, Square Enix can say "IF YOU WANT ANOTHER CHRONO GAME YOU SHOULD BUY MORE OF OUR PORTS". The perpetual cycle of not-sequel to one of the greatest games ever continues.

Impressive, Square Enix.

And I refuse to accept Chrono Cross as a sequel. Look up Cross on TVtropes and you may understand why.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Awesomesauce! The DS version remains my favorite, but the SNES had Ted Woosley doing translations, which is all fine and dandy by me. :]

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
AetherWolf said:
Awesomesauce! The DS version remains my favorite, but the SNES had Translation God doing translations, which is all fine and dandy by me. :]
Fix'd that for you.

OT: I probably will be buying this, even though I have FF Chronicles (IV and Trigger) on PS1. If people help out and buy a great game like this, it'll help Square out of their massive debt, which is a win-win for every Square fan, right?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I don't really understand some of the complaining here, for two reasons:

1. It's Virtual Console. The entire point is to port a game from whatever system it was originally on. While Square Enix COULD have added the extra DS features, it should never be expected when it's on Virtual Console. Developers aren't obligated to release remakes and extra features for the service. It's somewhat like buying an original copy of a classic game, and then wondering why it doesn't have the same features as the more recent remake.

2. Why do you want the extra DS features, anyways? The anime cutscenes are nice, but those extra dungeons were just made from recycled bits and pieces of areas you've already been to. The new ending wasn't anything special. (You don't even get a resolution to the actual story, it just serves to add even more confusion in Chrono Cross's mindfuck of a story) Then there's the Lost Sanctum, a long, boring, completely uninteresting area that has you going back and forth through un-avoidable enemies about 50 times. Though I did like the monster arena, even if it was somewhat pointless to the main game.