NBC Turns Down Wonder Woman Pilot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
NBC Turns Down Wonder Woman Pilot

Costume complaints and mixed reviews have apparently put paid to Wonder Woman's return to the screen.

After a hard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106794-Warner-Bros-Shelves-Wonder-Woman-TV-Show] run [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107189-Wonder-Woman-Lassos-New-TV-Show-After-All] race, David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV show has sadly fallen at the last hurdle. TV network NBC - the only network that could have afforded to make the show, not to mention the only one that showed any interest - has decided not to pick it up.

Kelley's concept for the show was an updated version of the character with Friday Night Lights actress Adrianne Palicki in the lead role. This new Wonder Woman was a successful corporate executive by day, and a vigilante crime fighter by night. NBC hasn't officially said why it turned the show down, but sources suggest that the pilot received mixed reviews during test screenings. There is also the suggestion that the negative response to the costume [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108876-Wonder-Woman-Costume-Revised-for-TV-Pilot], which originally included shiny blue spandex pants, played a part.

Obviously, this is bad news for the show, and while it doesn't mean that Wonder Woman definitely won't get her own TV show, it does make it a whole lot more unlikely. As the pilot hasn't aired, there's no way to tell if it really was only average, or if it was a misunderstood gem that just didn't resonate with a mainstream audience. In many ways, the former would be preferable, as it would mean that not seeing it wouldn't be so bad.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/12/nbc-rejects-wonder-woman/]

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
I'm actually happy. The whole "Corporate executive by day and a vigilante crime fighter by night" concept can work for Batman, but not for a proud amazonian princess damnit!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
can't say im all that disappointed. wonder woman felt out of place live action :(

Its says a lot if the picture used is a cartoon rendition :p

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
While I didn't like the idea of the show I would still like to have seen the pilot. Just to see how it was. Maybe they'll show it at some point.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Well, darn. After hearing all the hubbub about the costume, I was looking forward to seeing this.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
No one is interested in following a fictional corporate executive. Corporate executives are the scum of the Earth and the vermin should be eradicated with the utmost prejudice.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If they'd just followed the canon instead of trying to make their own...
True.

I like the stories where she does not have a secret identity, the identity of a CEO (I don't remember having that as one) seems like it was added to make obvious and bad political arguments, as well as commentary about women in the corporate world.

Also knowing NBC It would have been nice for a season and a half then get confusing as it falls into the gutter, probably due to the CEO identity cancerously taking over the show.

EDIT: Also all the Wonder Women costume redesigns never looked right. The Blue spandex just looked half assed, the newer one made her look like a country singer.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
CommanderKirov said:
I'm actually happy. The whole "Corporate executive by day and a vigilante crime fighter by night" concept can work for Batman, but not for a proud amazonian princess damnit!
Didn't she work at a taco stand for an issue or two?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Is anyone really surprised?
The whole thing reeked of mediocrity, especially when they focused so desperately on bringing out her chest.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
has decided not to pick the it up.Permalink
"...has decided not to pick it up" is probably what you meant.

OT: I'm pretty neutral abut this news, I guess it's probably for the best as, they were trying to target the mainstream audience and apparently failed. They probably also would've alienated true fans in the process.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Trolldor said:
Is anyone really surprised?
The whole thing reeked of mediocrity, especially when they focused so desperately on bringing out her chest.
And that stops shows from being made?

But yeah, meh, hard to care.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I'm a bit bummed out about this one, I am probably one of the few people that was looking forward to this show...