Oddworld Creator Accuses EA of "Sabotage"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Oddworld Creator Accuses EA of "Sabotage"

Lorne Lanning is pretty upset at the lack of marketing EA put behind Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

The Xbox's Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath [http://www.amazon.com/Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath-Xbox/dp/B0006I5I58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305310189&sr=8-1] was released in 2005 to critical acclaim, but it may not have sold as well as its creators envisioned. Oddworld Inhabitants co-founder Lorne Lanning recently bashed EA saying that the game's inadequate sales numbers were due to the "crappy job" the publisher did with marketing.

Lanning calls Stranger's Wrath a "major achievement" for the time. It diverged from the side-scrolling/platforming formula of previous Oddworld games to put players in the shoes of a bad-ass bounty hunter that used an array of strange critters as ammunition.

"I'm thrilled EA did such a crappy job distributing it back in the day," Lanning told Eurogamer. "It's a title that hasn't been exposed to the world. My personal feeling is Stranger was the best game we ever made."

Lanning says that EA "sabotaged" Stranger's Wrath by giving it no marketing budget. Once Oddworld Inhabitants learned of this fact, it killed the company's prospects for the title and its interest in working with EA any further.

"Our story is not unique," Lanning added. "This is common in the development community. Business decisions are made and the developer's faucet is turned off as a result."

Luckily, the Oddworld series has new life with the help of developer Just Add Water, which is Hand of Odd [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103250-Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath-Moseys-Onto-PSN]. Lanning reveals that the PlayStation Network releases of Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey and Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus sold "hundreds of thousands of units" in 2010, and hopes that Stranger's Wrath will also get a "second wind of life" now that having a publisher's huge marketing budget behind a game isn't necessary anymore.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-12-lanning-ea-sabotaged-strangers-wrath]

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'd have to agree with the dev. on that one; I cannot think of a single instance when I heard of SW outside of a single review in a gaming magazine. And it's not like I was avoiding it either, I loved the other games in the Oddworld series.

Of course, I didn't own an Xbox so the point was moot. Still, I'd be interested to see how the remake goes.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Valve was smart and realized EA sabotages marketing, thats why they went off and did their own material. I could easily see Oddworld doing that too, hell I think they used to in the past.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
I remember seeing Stranger's Wrath being advertised on G4 when I was younger.
I was wondering what ever happened to the Oddworld series.

Apr 28, 2008
I never saw an advert for this game. Reason I got it was because of previous Oddworld games.

Shame on you EA, shame on you.

This game is awesome, by the way, and available on Steam right now. I recommend it.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
I missed this game on the xbox, can't wait to get it off PSN... does anyone know when it is out?

I heard it was going to be around May and since PSN is down, I hope it doesn't push the release date back.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Pirakahunter788 said:
I was wondering what ever happened to the series.
You mean the Oddworld series or G4 actual shows that appeal to gamers?

BUM DUM TISH

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I just wish devs would stop going to EA for publishing. There has to be a somewhat more reasonable publisher out there that doesn't require your soul for the price of admission.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
wicked game. i fully recommend. I remember playing it on original Xbox, and loved it. too bad EA is EA...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
While I don't necessarily think it's the best game Oddworld Inhabitants has put out, I can agree that EA could've done a better job with marketing Stranger's Wrath.

Anyway, it's good news that there's a PS3 version coming out. I've never beaten the original version.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Dr. wonderful said:
Pirakahunter788 said:
I was wondering what ever happened to the series.
You mean the Oddworld series or G4 actual shows that appeal to gamers?

BUM DUM TISH
Both.
BUM DUM TISH

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
I remember reading a review of this in Game Master when it first came out, next to big page ad for it.

Beyond that, I never saw any other advertisements.