Students Hunt Unclaimed $250K Helicopter Prize

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Students Hunt Unclaimed $250K Helicopter Prize

Meet "Gamera," the University of Maryland's new human-powered helicopter.

Constructed by engineering students in a bid to win the American Helicopter Society's $250,000 Sikorsky Prize, Gamera boasts two 13-meter-wide rotor blades powered entirely by pedals operated by a human pilot. Even more impressively, the entire contraption barely tops 200lbs, including pilot Judy Wexler.

Though the students have been so far unable to claim the Sikorsky Prize, a May 12 launch attempt (see above) in which Gamera hovered "several inches off the floor for about four seconds" proves the validity of their design.

If they hope to claim the $250,000 windfall however, the Gamera team has a long way to go. According to American Helicopter Society criteria, a winning vehicle must maintain flight under its own power for a full minute while remaining within a 10 square meter area. It must also demonstrate the ability to climb to an altitude of 3 meters.

Since its creation in 1980, no one has successfully claimed the Sikorsky Prize. The most impressive entry to date is 1994's "Yuri 1," [http://www.humanpoweredhelicopters.org/yuri1/index.htm] a vehicle conceived by Japan's Nihon Aero Student Group, which managed to float 0.2 meters above the ground for nearly 20 seconds.

Though confident in their engineering prowess, Gamera's creators are stymied by a lack of viable testing space for their creation. Unpredictable wind conditions make testing the 'copter outdoors an impossibility, so until a hangar or especially large warehouse can be located, Gamera remains grounded.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.agrc.umd.edu/gamera/]

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Wow, that thing was huge. Though i can't really see it taking flight, it does wobble quite promisingly.
But yeah, if they are able to get the prize thingy, then it's god-damn amazing. To be able to fly, or just hover, purely by using your own strength and a whole lot of weird stuff is impressive.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I have one thing to say about the first couple seconds of the video:
I'm a single, heterosexual male. Sue me.

In all seriousness, a little more explanation about what the Sikorsky Prize prize actually is would be nice. I reckon building the first human-powered helicopter, but I dunno. Regardless, cool piece of engineering that is.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
I will, that's a terrible taste in female posterior!

Eri said:
Must...resist..must..That's what she said.
Damn it
Amateur. Lemme show you how it's done:

Owlslayer said:
Wow, that thing was huge.
That's why she was riding it so hard.

OT: Hmmm, cool, but looks massively impractical for... well... anything. Still, congrats on it lifting off, hopefully they can perfect the design so we can make... well... uhm... 15 times bigger choppers operated by cyclists that can't lift anything heavier than a paperclip? Sorry, I've got nothing :p

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Vrach said:
OT: Hmmm, cool, but looks massively impractical for... well... anything. Still, congrats on it lifting off, hopefully they can perfect the design so we can make... well... uhm... 15 times bigger choppers operated by cyclists that can't lift anything heavier than a paperclip? Sorry, I've got nothing :p
I guess the point of the exercise is to create novel incredibly efficient flying machines - if the power of a human could fly a machine within the specs lain out in the competition guides, just imagine what its use could be for robotics with motors in place of squishy organics. I think the point is to encourage novel engineering solutions, not make a flying bike ;)

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Vrach said:
I guess the point of the exercise is to create novel incredibly efficient flying machines - if the power of a human could fly a machine within the specs lain out in the competition guides, just imagine what its use could be for robotics with motors in place of squishy organics. I think the point is to encourage novel engineering solutions, not make a flying bike ;)
Yah, I know, but what they've made still just strikes me as massively impractical, what with it's size and design. Besides, unless they have a method to slow the fall of that thing, imagine what happens when you stop pedaling like a madman (and she really is pedaling like crazy there, no way can you keep that up for an extended period of time) and you're 100 ft in the air.

But yeah, I know, it's encouraging ingenuity and innovation, I get it, just that looking at that thing I have the feeling like there was a series of meetups that went something like this:
"So... this shit ain't flying yet"
"Hey, I know, let's make it bigger!"
*5 days later*
"It still ain't flying guys"
"Dammit, it needs to be bigger still!"
*etc.*

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Vrach said:
Cowabungaa said:
I will, that's a terrible taste in female posterior!
Whaaaaa? It was nice, firm and round. Not too big, not too small. What's not to like?

But enough about a girl's ass, I wonder what the goal of this prize is. What do they want to research with it, what's the purpose of making these awesome but hugely impractical mechanical contraptions beyond "because we can"?

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I have one thing to say about the first couple seconds of the video:

In all seriousness, a little more explanation about what the Sikorsky Prize prize actually is would be nice. I reckon building the first human-powered helicopter, but I dunno. Regardless, cool piece of engineering that is.
I totally agree. About the start of the video, that is...

OT: Seems cool, although I personally can't see a practical application for me.