Aim for the Demon Groin in Shadows of the Damned Screenshots

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Aim for the Demon Groin in Shadows of the Damned Screenshots

These screens are just a taste of the twisted world players have to survive in Suda 51's Shadows of the Damned.

Grasshopper Manufacture has released a new set of screens for Shinji Mikami and Suda 51 team-up Shadows of the Damned [http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Damned-Playstation-3/dp/B00432O50W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305332379&sr=1-2], probably one of the most messed up games you'll ever play. The punk-horror third-person shooter takes place in hell, and features some really twisted sh*t.

The screens from Act 1 & 2 of the game are relatively tame, but give a glimpse into the freaky stuff players will have to face. For example, a dude with three faces stacked on top of each other. That doesn't seem useful for anything other than to creep me out.

[gallery=242]

The dead girl hanging from her neck is main character Garcia Hotspur's girlfriend, who he's trying to save from hell. He must have failed, you say? Nope. That body is probably just a demon in disguise. You see, demons like to screw with humans in Shadows of the Damned, as we saw previously here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108332-Meet-the-Girlfriend-From-Hell-in-Shadows-of-the-Damned].

Hotspur will at least have an array of weaponry with which to defend himself, including a gun made of his floating skull partner named Johnson. The best place to aim at a giant demon? The groin, apparently. Who knew.

I hear it also features demon pubes as barriers. Neat. To learn more about Shadows of the Damned, check out this trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3141-Shadows-of-the-Damned-Unique] that features an explanation from Suda 51 and Shinji Mikami themselves. It'll be released on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in June.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'm not usually one for graphics being important, but I swear that last image looks completely horrible when compared to earlier ones.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Kind of looks like a hi-res console remake of Painkiller, but I doubt they'll have the Shurikens-and-Lightning-gun.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Aim for a demon's crotch? Makes sense. Out of all the times I shot at people's groins in Fallout 2? Yeah... Jack is interested in this one. It looks freaky, and fun. Also, I mentioned before...it's like a take on Orpheus' journey into Hades.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
I'm genuinely intrigued... May pick it up when Catherine forces me to buy a PS3 this summer.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
awwww crap i get the feeling that this is gonna get the australian censors riled up. fingers crossed it slips by unnoticed

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Should I aim for the groin with my Big Boner?[footnote]

"In this developer diary, Suda 51 and Shinji Mikami talk about Shadows of the Damned, and make mention of a long-barreled gun, the 'Big Boner.'" [http://www.gamefront.com/new-shadows-of-the-damned-developer-diary-video/][/footnote]

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Seems like Suda is getting his weird/surreal on again. At last!!!
Very much looking forward to this... summer is going to be pretty expensive for game releases me thinks :D

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If only this were coming for PC... I guess my xbox will finally see some action again (haven't touched it since I got a gamer computer).

Negotiator

Mar 17, 2011
I've been waiting for this the moment I heard it's a new game from Suda51 and Shinji Mikami, even though the first screenshots I saw were kinda generic. Now, the screenies are way better and I'm loving the concept. A must buy.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Zidantas said:
Seems too reminiscent of Dante's inferno...anyone else notice that?
Thats what I thought as I was reading it but then again quite a lot of games these days are following each other's premise. Ill still give it a try!

Zidantas

Apr 7, 2011
Fasckira said:
Zidantas said:
Seems too reminiscent of Dante's inferno...anyone else notice that?
Thats what I thought as I was reading it but then again quite a lot of games these days are following each other's premise. Ill still give it a try!
Heh, me too. Not to say the game doesn't look good, but the whole premise seems to be around some new and unexplored concept. Even though it's just, IMO, a mix of Dead Space and Dante's Inferno. Still going to get it though, as I love both those games xD

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Well, Suda knows how to put a spin on the whole "Rescue your lover from Hell" Thing. Then again, he managed to spin the surreal assassination shtick and politics.

RE 4 mixed with Dante's Inferno?

Why the fuck not?