Natsume Ships Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny to North America

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Natsume Ships Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny to North America

Sailing/farming/action-RPG Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is coming to North America on both the Wii and PS3.

One of the most heftily played RPGs on the Wii was Rune Factory: Oceans [http://www.amazon.com/Rune-Factory-Frontier-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001HB7KAO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1305646153&sr=8-4], will attempt to give Frontier a run for its money, as Natsume has confirmed that it'll publish the game as Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny in North America for both the Wii and PlayStation 3.

Rune Factory is a spin-off of the Harvest Moon [http://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Moon-Animal-Parade-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002HJYKG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305646601&sr=1-1] franchise, known for bringing players through the trials and tribulations of a young farmer. Rune Factory adds some excitement through a real-time combat system and dungeon crawling, forcing players to both cut down goblins and ensure they don't let their squash crops rot.

In addition, Tides of Destiny stacks on a new element: sailing. Sort of. Instead of remaining land-locked as in Frontier, players will ride on the back of a giant named Ymir through the game's vast oceans. As you seek out hidden islands and dungeons, you'll also have to deal with massive enemy sea creatures. And make sure you don't forget about that squash.

The game's storyline follows two lifelong friends, a male and female named Aden and Sonja, that wake up one day to find both of their souls are trapped in the same body. Their home has also been replaced by a strange island populated by strange people. They have to figure out what the heck is going on while... yeah... the squash.

Rune Factory is notable for the large amount of freedom and activities it gives players. They can take down monsters and collect loot from dungeons, go fishing, attempt to seduce mates, craft all sorts of different weapons and items, and more. Tides of Destiny marks the first time the series has hit the PlayStation 3. Natsume will show the game off in action at E3 2011, scheduled for June 7-9.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
I played an embarassing amount of Frontier last summer before I bought a PS3, and I have a feeling this one will addict me just as much.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
This sounds pretty good. I enjoyed Harvest Moon on the Gamecube, and I need something to dust off the Wii.
This seduction thing sounds awkward if there's a male and female in one body. I mean, even if you get lucky and one is homosexual, they're using the wrong body. Still, Harvest Moon with violence, sounds like a winning combination.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Played the first Rune Factory on the DS to death, as I found it to be a much better game than any of the harvest moons will ever be.

So, yeah, colour me interested.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
...You can 'seduce mates' while being a boy and girl trapped in the same body? And childhood friends no less?

Awkward

Does that make masturbation sex? They'd technically be having sex with each other...

Why am I so stuck on this?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Hell yes, Frontier is easily one of my favorite Wii games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.250682-Phunky-reviews-Rune-Factory-Frontier#9284443]. And is that dual blades I see? Awesome!

brunothepig said:
This sounds pretty good. I enjoyed Harvest Moon on the Gamecube, and I need something to dust off the Wii.
This seduction thing sounds awkward if there's a male and female in one body. I mean, even if you get lucky and one is homosexual, they're using the wrong body. Still, Harvest Moon with violence, sounds like a winning combination.
I would highly recommend Frontier to you, I've played almost every Harvest Moon/Rune Factory game out there, and I'd easily rank Frontier as one of the best. The price has also gone down quite a bit, so you should be able to get it new for pretty cheap. (I got it brand new for $20 on Amazon)

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
I love the Harvest moon games but I have yet to play any of the Rune factories yet. My friend has been trying to convert me to play them starting with this.

Jan 27, 2011
....I need to change my pants now. This is good news. Like, super super good news.

Now PLEEEEEEEASE Natsume. PLEASE don't put some arbitrary annoying mechanic in the game that will take away time from our monster hunting and farm-growing escapades!

Seriously, Rune Factory Frontier broke my heart. It was the PERFECT harvest moon game. Everything about it was awesome......Until the Runey system reared its ugly head. I don't want to have to waste 2-3 in game hours making sure the stupid runeys are well distributed, time I could be spending on exploring deeper into the dungeons, or seducing the local women. The runey System killed frontier for me.

So please Natsume. Don't do that to me again. Don't make a perfect game, only to muck it up with some stupid and annoying system.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
The only more desirable game I can think of, is a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory with the freedom to chat up anyone.

I remember marrying Anne(?) in one of the HM games purely because her father owned the Inn so when he kicked it, I'd have a financial boost one way or the other. Plus, she was used to hard work and easy to woo.

Sure, that was all in my head, but I'd LOVE the ability to be able to choose ANYONE and fill in the backstory myself. For example, the Mayor's wife. She was always sitting alone in the living room, regal and lonely. Why can't I woo her with my rippling muscles and rapidly-expanding wealth?

Or, for that matter, why can't I have a steamy gay love affair with Gill(?), the Mayor's son from HM:ToT? Or a lesbian wedding with that rude-yet-sexy Gerudo-looking chick whose parents owned their own tropical island?

Or maybe I could find true love with that weird old guy who lived in the mountains and grew 'herbs'.

...Or at least let me customise my character's looks, maybe? I'll settle for that.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Seriously, Rune Factory Frontier broke my heart. It was the PERFECT harvest moon game. Everything about it was awesome......Until the Runey system reared its ugly head. I don't want to have to waste 2-3 in game hours making sure the stupid runeys are well distributed, time I could be spending on exploring deeper into the dungeons, or seducing the local women. The runey System killed frontier for me.
I hear you on that one. I've ended up almost ignoring the Ruey's, only checking up on them once a week or so to make sure they're not about to die. It's a shame, because that aside RFF is one of the best Harvest Moon games out there. It feels like all the best aspects of the series rolled up into one big ball of awesome.

MrThisguy978

Dat Elsie
Aug 28, 2010
Never did get to play Frontier, but god knows i've done every possible end on rune factory 3
Definitely looking forward to this, hopefully wont take too long to localize

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
VondeVon said:
The only more desirable game I can think of, is a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory with the freedom to chat up anyone.

I remember marrying Anne(?) in one of the HM games purely because her father owned the Inn so when he kicked it, I'd have a financial boost one way or the other. Plus, she was used to hard work and easy to woo.

Sure, that was all in my head, but I'd LOVE the ability to be able to choose ANYONE and fill in the backstory myself. For example, the Mayor's wife. She was always sitting alone in the living room, regal and lonely. Why can't I woo her with my rippling muscles and rapidly-expanding wealth?

Or, for that matter, why can't I have a steamy gay love affair with Gill(?), the Mayor's son from HM:ToT? Or a lesbian wedding with that rude-yet-sexy Gerudo-looking chick whose parents owned their own tropical island?

Or maybe I could find true love with that weird old guy who lived in the mountains and grew 'herbs'.

...Or at least let me customise my character's looks, maybe? I'll settle for that.
I went for Ann too... mostly because she was absurdly easy to woo...

"Here's an egg."

"OMG I LUV YOU!"

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Panayjon said:
VondeVon said:

"Here's an egg."

"OMG I LUV YOU!"
:D

Oh, you cheap cad. Please tell me you at least threw it in the stinking hot springs first.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
VondeVon said:
Panayjon said:
VondeVon said:

"Here's an egg."

"OMG I LUV YOU!"
:D

Oh, you cheap cad. Please tell me you at least threw it in the stinking hot springs first.
Yes, I'm very classy that way. Spring-boiled eggs for the lovely lady. Though, honestly she was also the most attractive to me! Would have loved to see her with her hair down at some point though.