Netflix Now Largest Data Trafficker in North America

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Netflix Now Largest Data Trafficker in North America

Streaming movies and TV over the web on Netflix is the biggest source of traffic in North America.

When Netflix started gaining steam among my friends in the early Oughts, I was impressed at being able to get virtually any film I wanted delivered to my door - even if I rarely watched them. Now though, I'm still a member of Netflix but I don't bother to have DVDs mailed to me anymore because I can stream anything I want through my Xbox 360. It appears that I'm not alone as a report from broadband network company Sandvine states that 29.7 percent of all downstream internet traffic comes from Netflix streaming during peak usage hours. If you combine that with offer forms of "real-time entertainment" like Hulu or videos on The Escapist, the traffic accounts for 49.2 percent of peak bandwidth usage in North America.

The boost in traffic for Netflix - a growth of 44 percent from Sandvine's report last fall - points to the growing trend for people to access entertainment on-demand. If you consider the rise of DVR services, we are definitely no longer content with being tied to a schedule of programming.

"That speaks to an insatiable demand we all have for accessing information and entertainment over different mediums at different times," said Tom Donnelly from Sandvine.

Science-fiction has portrayed entertainment in various ways, from the "walls" of television in Fahrenheit 451 to the multiple channel watching Marty McFly Jr. indulges in Back to the Future II. But even such fantasies will pale compared to how entertainment will be distributed in even five years time.

Soon, humans will be able to access whatever content we want, whenever we want. Netflix is only the beginning.

Source: SF Chronicle [http://www.sandvine.com/news/pr_detail.asp?ID=312]

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
As much as i hate Netflix for their evil pop-up advertising all over the interweb, i really love their streaming movies and such. Interesting to see how much "volume" they're doing, though.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Except in Canada where you are better off watching TV through the neighbour's window.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
And oh, how did it lag! Bandwidth is too expensive to be streaming 1080p movies :/

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Braedan said:
Except in Canada where you are better off watching TV through the neighbour's window.
Yeah, no longer living in the US, Netflix and Hulu are like some Golden Gods which have ceased to shine upon me.

I once tried to trick Hulu but their machine spirits were not fooled by my antics. At least, not for long. I guess they routinely look for those kinds of exploits.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yay. Now back to streaming Eureka. And then onto Twin Peaks.
No, take your laptop into the kitchen, finish Eureka and bake some damn pie. You can't marathon Twin Peaks without pie. I actually went to the diner and saw the waterfall and ate the pie in Snoqualmie.
You MUST have the pie. Pieeee.
It even has a trading card:
[http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tpcard07.html]

...Aaaand back on topic, I'm enjoying my extremely high "unlimited" american andwidth limits, but I can't help but feel like we're being a bit wasteful nonetheless. I mean, do we really need all our movies in HD?

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
NETFLIX? Humm you mean that annoying icon that came with my laptop? i opened it up and they expected me to pay $13 a month to watch videos i do that free on youtube >_>

FattyMcGee

Aug 13, 2008
ionveau said:
NETFLIX? Humm you mean that annoying icon that came with my laptop? i opened it up and they expected me to pay $13 a month to watch videos i do that free on youtube >_>
7.99 for just streaming, and you get much more then you could find on youtube, plus no commercials.

Side note, think ondemand is getting so popular because people no longer have to plan there evening on some new show they are enjoying, they can enjoy it when they have time, and live there lifes otherwise.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
FattyMcGee said:
ionveau said:
7.99 for just streaming, and you get much more then you could find on youtube, plus no commercials.

Side note, think ondemand is getting so popular because people no longer have to plan there evening on some new show they are enjoying, they can enjoy it when they have time, and live there lifes otherwise.
ADs...ya i remember those....and i remember youtube preroll ads where the main cause of me disabled them.