Hotmail Users Accuse Microsoft of Sabotaging PSN Revival

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Some Hotmail users haven't been able to properly reset their PSN account information as the service comes back online, and they're pointing fingers at Sony's chief rival.

On Saturday, Sony was finally able to gradually restore functionality [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110055-Sony-Restores-the-PlayStation-Network] to its PlayStation Network after what felt like a bazillion weeks of outage (but was really more like three). Understandably, many users now intend to change the password on their PSN account to prevent another hack - but some of them are saying that Microsoft is intervening to stop that from happening.

According to posts on the Windows Live Help site [http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=4c3f5312-9d6e-4d42-87df-0d87836fc4f4&page=1], more than a few Hotmail users are claiming that they have not been able to receive any emails from Sony and PSN since functionality was restored - with some saying that they have been waiting for as many as 40 or 50 hours without getting their mail. Seeing as how the "reset password" links in the Sony emails expire within 24 hours of being sent, that is naturally more than a bit problematic.

Given that the users claim to have no problem receiving emails on other services like Google's Gmail - and that Hotmail is operated by MSN and thereby Microsoft - more than a few are claiming that this is a ploy by Redmond to sabotage Sony's desperate attempts to get PSN back on its feet. "It's a disguisting [sic] way of taking down Sony and PSN like this," wrote one user. "[Microsoft knows] they can't compete with [Sony] so they just backstab them after they had to put down the servers. That's just weak..."

While users are completely free to concoct as many conspiracy theories as they want - and this is admittedly a coincidence that reflects a bit poorly on Microsoft - there are other possible explanations that don't revolve around intentional sabotage. After blogging site LiveJournal suffered heavy DDoS attacks last month, several mail providers - like Hotmail - blocked email from the site since they feared it could have been compromised by spammers.

Similarly, those at Hotmail could potentially have added PSN emails to an auto-block list during the outage out of fears that the compromised network could be used to trick users into thinking spam or virus-laden emails were authentic.

Or it could just be a weird coincidence in technology. Or Microsoft could in fact be up to something shady (though personally, I don't think that one's very likely).

Maybe Sony should start its own email service and then block Xbox Live emails. It might not actually accomplish anything, but it'd sure be funny, eh?

(Thanks to everyone who sent this in!)

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
That sounds like another conspiracy theory to me. I'd support the overzealous spam filter theory any day.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Makes sense that Microsoft would block the emails in case of viruses, but Sony should be able to let them change it somehow, outside of email.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
This is normal. Sometimes I don't get messages for hours even though I am supposed to get them instant through Hotmail.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Regiment said:
That sounds like another conspiracy theory to me. I'd support the overzealous spam filter theory any day.
This.

Spam filters on hotmail are shockingly bad.

I get shady emails offering to enlarge my genitalia, but I don't receive emails from people on yahoo.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
This happened to me but fortunatly i could change my password from my ps3 without the email.. which ive only just recieved.

Feb 13, 2008
It's not just hotmail, gmail wasn't receiving my posts either; so it's more likely to be Sony's servers.

In the mean time, I rang up Station support, got straight thru and sorted out the situation with a very helpful member of staff.

(Hot tip: Don't press 5 to get to password problems as it bounces you through the system, nip to billing enquiries and they'll sort you right out.)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
redisforever said:
Makes sense that Microsoft would block the emails in case of viruses, but Sony should be able to let them change it somehow, outside of email.
The email method is only used in regards to actvating an account on a different system than the initial one. Most users needed no email.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Braedan said:
Wait, people still use Hotmail? I think we have a bigger problem here...
This. Why everyone doesn't use gmail I will never know. Can ANYONE give me a good reason? I also doubt Micro is purposely doing this, but it is a bad coincidence.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
John Funk said:

Similarly, those at Hotmail could potentially have added PSN emails to an auto-block list during the outage out of fears that the compromised network could be used to trick users into thinking spam or virus-laden emails were authentic.

I think that is what they did with many PSN accounts, including me. My Hotmail was locked and is still locked, and there is no way I can reopen it.

No matter, I was slowly transferring all my email business to my many Gmail accounts, now I have my PSN under my Gmail, so I don't even need to look back on Hotmail.

icame

Aug 4, 2010

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of that when reading the title?

OT: I have heard many people, not just those using hotmail, aren't receiving them. I bet it just has to do with glitches in the service with so many emails being sent out.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh for fucks sake. Do people actually believe this? Yes, it's Microsoft purposely trying to screw the PS3 owners. It sure couldn't be that the sheer volume of e-mails that have to be sent are causing a problem or two. It's not like Sony has said that they had to turn off all services again due to all the password change requests and that the volume of requests is causing some delay in the e-mails.

Oh wait. That's exactly what Sony said. [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/15/update-on-service-restoration-rollout/] Maybe people should read the Playstation Blog for information about PSN services before just going into fanboy & conspiracy mode.

redisforever said:
They do. If you have the same console as when the network went down, you e-mail need not be involved. If you don't have the same console, how else would Sony verify that the person changing the password is the real account holder? They can't do the standard "enter your log in, old password, and new password" thing because hackers most likely have the first two and thus could go change account passwords on people if there was no e-mail verification.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
its simple almost every PSN user out there want to change there username sonys servers yust cant handle the masive ammount of emails and accounts changes.

ashrossy

Mar 14, 2011
my gmail account got hacked, I only noticed because I sent an email to my newer, personal account (A link to an obvious virus)
I immediately changed my password of course. I'd say It was unrelated, but I doubt it.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Wow, 13 pages of unanswered complaining.
Wait, now I see it! They are going alphabetically by domain! G as in 'gmail' comes before H! And because gmail is so popular it will take days for all the poor hotmail users to get tehir password reset mail. It makes perfect sense! [/crazy theory rant]