Amnesia DLC Now Free For Everyone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Amnesia DLC Now Free For Everyone

Frictional Games has released a new update for the horror hit Amnesia: The Dark Descent [http://www.amazon.com/Amnesia-Pc/dp/B004FZ9822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305678006&sr=8-1] which includes the Justine DLC and a collection of five short stories that will answer some questions but raise new ones, too.

The Justine DLC for Amnesia: The Dark Descent was originally released via Steam as part of the "1.2 update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108965-Portals-GlaDOS-Invades-Steam-With-Potato-Related-ARG], along with a couple of other goodies for the fans.

"A collection of five short-stories set in the world of Amnesia, written by our writer and illustrated by our concept artists, will be included in the update," the studio revealed. "They are sure to answer some of your questions about our universe, but also have you come up with a few new ones."

And those who purchased the game directly from Frictional can also pick up a free copy of the official, "beloved" Amnesia soundtrack. For everyone else, the soundtrack is now available for purchase from the Joystiq [http://store.frictionalgames.com/] described Justine as "super-creepy"] and five illustrated short stories completely free, so I suppose there's really not much to complain about, is there?

If it somehow managed to fly under your radar, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a first-person survival horror game released in September 2010 that's easily one of the spookiest, creepiest and downright scariest videogames ever made. Unlike conventional "monster closet" games, Amnesia relies on thick, suffocating atmosphere and the utter helplessness of the player to create a true horror experience. It's disturbing and relentlessly awful, and for fans of the genre, absolutely not a game to miss.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I want to get it but someone tell me why I should other then that the game will make me shit my pants.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Amnesia is the scariest thing I ever played. I was so scared of it I would actually get anxiety when I'd double click the icon on the desktop, sometimes I would just quit it before I even loaded the game cause it was getting dark outside ^^

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
I want to get it.
Answered your own question there, eh?

OT: Kudos to another company joining the "free DLC" bandwagon, always nice for companies to take care of customers like that.

[sub]Though, meh, that soundtrack-for-free deal would've been nice to know before I got the Steam version.[/sub]

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
I want to get it but someone tell me why I should other then that the game will make me shit my pants.
Its the very best atmospheric (spelling firefox is broked) 1st person experience i have ever played. The story is sick and twisted like a silent hill game. As i can see in your avatar you like silent hill.
Also its cheeeep! Like the budgie

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
It WILL Make you shit your pants. I can 100% guarantee that, and that's exactly why it's so awesome. Scariest game I have ever played in my life. I want to play it more, but I cannot will myself to play it anymore ( I'm at the dungeon part) it is that scary.

gideonkain said:
Amnesia is the scariest thing I ever played. I was so scared of it I would actually get anxiety when I'd double click the icon on the desktop, sometimes I would just quit it before I even loaded the game cause it was getting dark outside ^^
I've had this before a lot.

As I said up there, I'm currently stuck in the dungeon part. I'd try to play it, walk no more than 10 steps, hear a terrifying noise and then just say "fuck it, I can't handle this anymore" and quit with my heart pounding.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Is that what that update was? It always irritates me when there isn't a steam news thing telling me what's getting put into my computer :mad:

Addendum: Wait, I guess that's todays update, then what the hell was the last big update for :mad:

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
lotr rocks 0 said:
gideonkain said:

As I said up there, I'm currently stuck in the dungeon part. I'd try to play it, walk no more than 10 steps, hear a terrifying noise and then just say "fuck it, I can't handle this anymore" and quit with my heart pounding.
Yeah, I'm not even at the dungeon. I ended up quitting soon after the water part.

I really want to finish the game, but I can barely even load it up for a few seconds without freaking out and quitting. I haven't even "encountered" any monsters yet...

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Amnesia is the only game I stopped playing out of fear, as apposed to out of boredom. I did play the Justine DLC all the way through and my heart got stuck halfway up my throat so NOOOO MOOREEEE ;-;

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Anybody played this? Is it a new area in the game or a stand alone story. Are the short stories the Junstine DLC or in addition to it?

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
it's creepy, it will get under your skin, it will make you think, it will make you panic, it will make you afraid of the dark, and it will reveal its story in an atmospheric setting that combines simplicity and intelligent design with one of the best user interfaces of any game in the past two years, everything about the game is designed to sink you into it, then probe around in your brain until you freak out, or complete it

it's very well made!
worth a look if you like first person story or horror games, it will probably get you into them even if you aren't

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
HankMan said:
I'm just not into horror games, so I'd just as well forget The Dark Descent
Is this all you do?

As for the dlc, yay, but I doubt I can convince myself to delve back into the horrible world of amnesia. After my play time spent there I don't think I'll ever go back.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Dexter111 said:
You'd think those poor Indie game devs making games on a low budget and with generally lower sales and profits would be the ones requiring more money to develop more games/content...

Yet somehow it's usually always Microsoft, EA, Activision, UbiSoft etc. that are the "poor" companies asking for more money via DLC because the 20 million game box sales weren't enough... strange
The big corporations spend loads and loads more money on AAA titles than indy devs do on their games and therefore need to sell far more units in order to ensure a profit. Breakout hit indy games like amnesia make huge profits because they make a ton more off their games than they spent in development, because they were far more popular than expected.

Rabid Toilet said:
lotr rocks 0 said:
gideonkain said:

Yeah, I'm not even at the dungeon. I ended up quitting soon after the water part.

I really want to finish the game, but I can barely even load it up for a few seconds without freaking out and quitting. I haven't even "encountered" any monsters yet...
Oh my god, you havn't even seen fear yet then... you thought the other rooms were dark? You havn't seen darkness until you enter the storage or the dungeon... without your lantern you can literally only see about 3 feet in front of you. You could cut the darkness with a knife.

Dont even get me started on the monsters.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Dexter111 said:
You'd think those poor Indie game devs making games on a low budget and with generally lower sales and profits would be the ones requiring more money to develop more games/content...

Yet somehow it's usually always Microsoft, EA, Activision, UbiSoft etc. that are the "poor" companies asking for more money via DLC because the 20 million game box sales weren't enough... strange
To their credit, the big guys tend to have much bigger budgets

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
HankMan said:
Mr.Pandah said:
HankMan said:
I'm just not into horror games, so I'd just as well forget The Dark Descent
Is this all you do?
Not all, but people tend to notice my puns the most. I hope my puns are not making you a Sad Panda.
Nah, not really. I think they're just noticeable because you bold them though. lol

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Wait, that's what the update was? Damnit, now I have to play it and see what they did. I have a feeling I won't be playing it for long periods of time if I want to sleep.