[UPDATE] PSN Password Reset Vulnerable to Exploit

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
[UPDATE] PSN Password Reset Vulnerable to Exploit

According to reports, Sony websites meant to help PlayStation Network users secure their accounts were vulnerable to a simple exploit.

Sony finally brought the PlayStation Network back online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110055-Sony-Restores-the-PlayStation-Network] this week, in the process releasing a firmware update that required users to reset their passwords just to be safe. Sadly, it looks like Sony can't catch a break, as some of its websites used to help reset those passwords were also vulnerable to an exploit.

The exploit apparently allowed anyone with a PSN user's date of birth and email address to change their password without confirmation. This was reportedly information that could have been leaked in the attack on Sony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It].

NeoGAF [http://sony.nyleveia.com/2011/05/17/warning-all-psn-users-your-accounts-are-still-not-safe/]. Sony made PSN sign-in and password change unavailable on various websites such as PlayStation.com and Qriocity.com around 15 minutes after Nyleveia contacted the company, saying: "This is due to essential maintenance and at present it is unclear how long this will take." Sony is likely fixing the issue.

Thankfully, even if someone tried to change a user's password using this exploit the system would send a confirmation email, though the link inside did not need to be clicked. If you didn't get this email, in addition to an email confirmation about a password change, you're safe. Changing one's password through a PlayStation 3 console was not affected by the vulnerability.

This exploit really makes you wonder. Are these kinds of things issues with every company, and Sony merely has a magnifying glass upon it, or is Sony dropping the ball somewhere? Sony may have been the victim of a "highly sophisticated" attack, but for the password reset system to be vulnerable in such a simple way is really a "WTF" moment in light of the recent PSN debacle.

*UPDATE* To clarify, Sony's Patrick Seybold explains on the PlayStation Blog that there was no hacking or hackers involved here. "We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page," he writes. "Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed."

He recommends that anyone still needing to change their password do so through a PS3 console. It can be done through web-related means once the websites go back up.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-18-sonys-psn-password-page-hacked]

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Glad I just did it on my PS3. Kind of sad these hackers have nothing better to do, at this point Sony should just give them Linux so they can show people just wanted to get free games not another OS. Then when PS4 comes out and doesn't do shit besides play games, people won't wonder why. "It only does games."

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
It's a lot of sites. A password reset is one of the easiest ways to steal someone's account. This is how I got my World of Warcraft account stolen. You are especially screwed if the hacker knows your password to your e-mail which is how my WoW got hacked in the first place.

The best way I have seen it done is with authenticators. I have one for WoW and one for FFXIV. I wouldn't mind having them for my PSN or XBox Live but I know a lot of people would be annoyed to have to type in an 6 digit number every time they log into either. I wouldn't care because it would be secure!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
... Sony just can get a brake. This is like kicking the guy in the nuts and then repeat the assault while laughing manically like a joker rip off.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I changed mine on my PS3 and checked my email anyway, so I'm safe. Well, unless there's something else. But let's not be ridiculous. There's no way there could be anything...else...right?

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
auronvi said:
It's a lot of sites. A password reset is one of the easiest ways to steal someone's account. This is how I got my World of Warcraft account stolen. You are especially screwed if the hacker knows your password to your e-mail which is how my WoW got hacked in the first place.
Agreed; it just sucks for Sony that this was found now.

Sites *should* require more information to let you change passwords, with the more "important" log ins needing more information. It's a trade off, and too many sites err on the wrong side.
At the very least, it should have required the email's link to be clicked before changing the password.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010

Really? Can these guys just stop? Sony's been through enough already. That's coming from a PC/360 user, too.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
AstylahAthrys said:

Really? Can these guys just stop? Sony's been through enough already. That's coming from a PC/360 user, too.
They guys who found out about it let Sony know about it.

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
Geez, Sony can't catch a break, huh? The whole PSN crisis has been one setback after another snowballing into a perfect pile of shit. I don't have a PS3 myself, but I know plenty of people who do. I could only imagine what would happen if something like this happened to Xbox Live...

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
luvd1 said:
... Sony just can get a brake. This is like kicking the guy in the nuts and then repeat the assault while laughing manically like a joker rip off.
A brake? They must already have one. How do they stop their cars if they don't have brakes?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Uncle_Brainhorn said:
luvd1 said:
A brake? They must already have one. How do they stop their cars if they don't have brakes?
.... I hate the ipad's spell check sometimes.

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
gphjr14 said:
Glad I just did it on my PS3. Kind of sad these hackers have nothing better to do, at this point Sony should just give them Linux so they can show people just wanted to get free games not another OS. Then when PS4 comes out and doesn't do shit besides play games, people won't wonder why. "It only does games."
Yeah, why can't they do something useful, like play games on their television sets.

The OtherOS stuff has nothing to do with game piracy.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
Hmm...might have to sue Escapist for causing me serious injury.

Was laughing so hard I actually fell off the chair...

<--Owns a PS3 that's been modified so far the only thing it's got in common with stock is the Sony logo on the bottom sticker(can't get rid of it, polish remover not working, any ideas?).
Hack my account, please:p

eharriett

Jan 22, 2011
No, Sony isn't any different than a bunch of other sites. Both Microsoft & Apple's ID's aren't that hard if you just have a few simple pieces of info. This is an overarching problem that isn't going away with Sony making a few adjustments.

Kanaan Brood

Mar 24, 2011
You have got to be kidding me. The ineptitude of this company just keeps revealing itself. I was thinking of going with a PS3 soon and now I am not so sure.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Oh dear; I began to laugh and my ass has fallen off.

Now my pants don't fit and I can't sit down.

This is unacceptable.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
At this rate i am just going to assume the lack of information on the hacked was due to sony not knowing they had been hacked.As this is getting stupid okay i understand having a flaw with your password reset as its the easiest thing to use to hack someones account.

But when a independent website and a random user have to make you aware of the secruity flaw that is just ridiculous. what are your secruity team actually doing as at this rate if sony say there secruity team consist of 12 howler monkeys i would not be too surprised