New Firmware Reportedly Causing Older PS3s to Overheat

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
New Firmware Reportedly Causing Older PS3s to Overheat

Rockstar says that the older "fat" models are at risk of malfunctioning from the newest firmware update for the PS3.

Complaints have flooded Rockstar Games, the publisher of the recently released game L.A. Noire, over a rash of frozen and malfunctioning PS3s that failed while attempting to play the mammoth game. "We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models," said a statement on the company's website.

According to Rockstar, this problem is only occurring on machines that have downloaded and installed firmware update 3.61, which was recently released by Sony in an attempt to fix the security problems discovered after the PSN hack fiasco. The update could be what is causing the problems, which "can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to 2 hours." Rockstar certainly believes that to be the case, stating "We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed."

"At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue. However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done."

Sony has yet to make a statement regarding the malfunctioning PS3s, but I imagine the general mood is "We just can't catch a break, can we."

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44386/Rockstar-PS3s-are-overheating]

Hap2

May 26, 2010
I suppose that's the big drawback with consoles after all, their hardware can't be easily updated by the user to handle new firmware that requires more power. This will suck for all of those who are holding onto their backwards compatible PS3s.

Mark Davison

Feb 14, 2010
I dont think its anything to do with the firmware - rather than the age of the PS3 in question. I have a launch console, and 2 months ago it suddenly started the "beep three times thing and shut down" after too much play. Over a week, that time went down from 2 hours to less than 10 mins. took to the local repair shop, and while it cost £90 to get it fixed, its hardly a big deal. After a few thousand hours of use , most electronics get worn (hell, the only mp3 player i've had that has lasted as much play time as the ps3 was my sony... the ipod classic lasted half that time..).

So for the most part it think its more "your device is nearly 5 years old, and has been used an ungodly amount of time - everything breaks down eventually".

Hell, i'm the only person i know who still thas the first 360 they bought :)

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Shutting down due to overheating? I can't even get into the main menu before it crashes...