[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

Sony says Rockstar Games wrongly accused the 3.61 firmware update of overheating PS3 consoles during play of L.A. Noire.

According to reports, a small number of users playing Rockstar Games' restoration [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305813593&sr=8-1] of the PlayStation Network. Now, Sony is saying it's an issue with the game itself and not the PS3's firmware.

Sony told Edge "unequivocally" that there are no issues with the 3.61 firmware update. Rockstar said it had confirmed with multiple games that its very own PS3 consoles were overheating or freezing only when 3.61 was installed, primarily with older 80GB and 60GB models, but has since retracted its statement (available through cache here [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DzwN0zzQ4QoJ:support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire+rockstar+games+l.a.+noire+ps3+firmware&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com]).

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence," Sony said. "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title L.A. Noire and have offered a workaround."

"It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles," Sony added. Rockstar's support page now features instructions [http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20126677-what-to-do-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire] for owners of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 that experience issues while playing L.A. Noire.

Rockstar Games either jumped the gun on the issue, or Sony challenged its evidence and laid the smackdown. If you've picked up L.A. Noire, just save as often as you can and keep an eye on your console so you don't have to solve its murder too.

*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/19/rockstar-games-and-sony-joint-statement-on-l-a-noire] that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire nor the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat (nor Xbox 360s?). Whether that's a load of malarkey or not is unsure, so stay vigilant during your interrogations and contact Sony or Rockstar support if you face any issues.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-la-noire-to-blame-for-consoles-overheating]

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I played it non-stop from 4 PM to 1AM yesterday, and from 9AM up to now (5PM right now). I encountered no problems, and I have an older, 40 GB console. Looks like I'm a lucky bastard once again.

Also, lol at the picture, nice job.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Dtoid also said that 360's are also heating over.

From Dtoid: http://www.destructoid.com/l-a-noire-overheats-xbox-360s-as-well-as-ps3s-201500.phtml

Yesterday, Rockstar had suggested that PS3 Firmware 3.61 was causing L.A. Noire to cook people's systems. Now it's become apparent that Xbox 360 consoles are also suffering from overheating issues due to the Team Bondi game, while Sony emphatically denies any responsibility.

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence" said Sony. "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title L.A. Noire and have offered a work around. It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

The good news is that something bad has happened and Sony is totally off the hook. The bad news is that at least twice as many gamers now run the risk of frustration. That's not really a "win" situation for the consumers.

Rockstar should hopefully be able to patch the issue. We're still waiting on our comment.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Hmm.. I have the very first ps3 out on market, 60 GB..

Having my luck and all it would probably fry my machine. And i don't want the newer edition ps3, cause it does not have the same shiny casing and it has different kind of buttons.

I like shiny things..

PS: The last sentence made me giggle.. ty..

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Thought it wasn't the firmware, had the bugger on constantly playing/watching things. But why spring this in me just 24 hours before I'm due to buy this game, or is there specific models that have this problem?

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
The PS3 simply can't handle the awesome that is LA Noire, I can understand that haha.. it must be why they split it up into three disks on the Xbox, they had to spread the load out over three disks to stop them from RROD'ing.

I did buy it on the PS3 though.. might have to break out the ice tub, water cool the bastard.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Is this like the Eternal Sonata defect mention in Commodore Hustle?

How the hell did Noire get access to the firmware to control fans, on both systems?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Ha I like entry number six on the Rockstar FAQ

"6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software."

Oh good I will just run out and buy another copy of a game that might not work or pop the game in my backup PS3 I keep around for just such occasions

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
AndrewF022 said:
The PS3 simply can't handle the awesome that is LA Noire, I can understand that haha.. it must be why they split it up into three disks on the Xbox, they had to spread the load out over three disks to stop them from RROD'ing.

I did buy it on the PS3 though.. might have to break out the ice tub, water cool the bastard.
None of what you said makes any sense :X

Also, according to n4g there are several reports of x360's overheating with LA Noire as well, supporting sony's theory that it isnt related to the firmware or the PS3 in particular.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
Belladonnah said:
AndrewF022 said:

None of what you said makes any sense :X

Also, according to n4g there are several reports of x360's overheating with LA Noire as well, supporting sony's theory that it isnt related to the firmware or the PS3 in particular.
It makes perfect sense to me, and thats all that matters haha.. but yes, I didn't see the Xbox 360 part before I posted, so it seems that even 3 disks can't contain that much awesome.

(but yes I am fully aware that 'awesome' can't break a console, but would it not be cool if it did right?)

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I didn't know if it was the game or the toy, but this case was burning up the city and water was worth more than a diamond ring.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Remember when we could just play games without having to worry about updates, bugs, hacks, overheating.

OT:I can't play it yet anyway so i'm not getting this issue. I find it hard to believe that a patch could do this.

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
Just heard on the Eurogamer grape vine that apparently Rockstar retracted the statement:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-ps3-firmware-3-61-not-crashing-la-noire

I think I'm going to wait for an official statement from Sony or something concrete and factual but I'll start backing up my PS3 saves via mem. stick for now just to be on the safe side

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Pipotchi said:
Ha I like entry number six on the Rockstar FAQ

"6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software."

Oh good I will just run out and buy another copy of a game that might not work or pop the game in my backup PS3 I keep around for just such occasions
/Facepalm

Because nobody has mates with consoles, or indeed 360 owners dont have a couple of disks.......

Just because a instruction is useless to you doenst make it useless to all.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:
And the Sony fail train keeps on trucking.

Some day, maybe we'll all finally be one big PC community rather than this balkanized platform mess. I mean, they're just crippled computers that hook up to televisions.
Did you read the article?

Rockstar admitted they were wrong. Sony hasn't failed.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
obviously you need to immersion cool your ps3 in a mineral oil bath or some sapphire if you can handle the chemical hazards