Dio Cut From Brütal Legend

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dio Cut From Brütal Legend

Former Black Sabbath frontman Brütal Legend [http://www.ronniejamesdio.com/], has been removed from the game.

Dio's management confirmed with fueled [http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=121899] by his wife, Sharon, who seems to have little tolerance for anyone who threatens to outshine her man), who also appears in the game, may have had something to do with it.

The good news in all this is the addition of Curry, an actor of some repute who's not entirely unfamiliar with the realm of videogames: He provided the voice of the title character in the 1993 Sierra release Commander & Conquer: Red Alert 3 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Knight:_Sins_of_the_Fathers].

An explanation for the switch will no doubt be forthcoming but in the meantime we can all have some fun theorizing about what happened. I'm betting on the simple, dull and obvious reason: Dio's voice work just wasn't making the cut and he had to be replaced. Ozzy's spot in the game is assured simply by virtue of his famously garbled speech, but Dio, while a great singer, doesn't have that immediately identifiable schtick to fall back on. Metal purists may be unhappy with the switch but sometimes it's just better to go with the pro.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/14/dio-cut-from-brutal-legend-replaced-by-tim-curry/]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Hm, Ozzy versus Ronnie...screamy throat singing versus windpipe of gold...Crazy Train versus Holy Diver...Black Sabbath, War Pigs and Iron Man versus Neon Knights, Heaven and Hell and Children of the Sea. Peace sign versus THE FUCKIN' HORNS.

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
NO NOT DIO!!!!

Man...a game about Heavy Metal without Dio...

Well it still has Lemmy, Ozzy, Lita Ford and Rob Halford.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Ah, RJD. You're like a rainbow in the dark, my friend. A rainbow. In the dark. Think about it.

kenji8055

May 28, 2008
bloody typical, why is there always some kind of drama that results in us (the fans) being proverbially dumped on?

Dio is tons better than dear old Ozzy and I would like to suggest that if Sharon DID have something to do with this (and I bet she did) then she should remember that no-one's interested in her opinion... she married a rock legend, and turned him into an old man.

BTW just remembered this is almost the same as when she tried to mess up Iron Maiden during a live performance.

Mar 17, 2009
Psychosocial said:
The Great JT said:
Hm, Ozzy versus Ronnie...screamy throat singing versus windpipe of gold...Crazy Train versus Holy Diver...Black Sabbath, War Pigs and Iron Man versus Neon Knights, Heaven and Hell and Children of the Sea. Peace sign versus THE FUCKIN' HORNS.

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.
AGREED!

Ronnie James Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ozzy Osbourne
You seem to have put the names in the wrong order. Everybody and their grandma knows that Ozzy is a milion times better than Dio. Not that I have anything against Dio, great guy, love Heaven and Hell, but Ozzy Osbourne is the motherfuckin' Prince of Darkness and Godfather of Metal. You just can't beat that.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Dio can you hear me?
I am lost and so alone...
I'm askin' for your guidance,
Would you come down from your throne?
I need a tight compadre
Who will teach me how to rock...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
The infamous SCAMola said:
Psychosocial said:
The Great JT said:

CUT THE FUCK OUTTA OZZY.
AGREED!

Ronnie James Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ozzy Osbourne
You seem to have put the names in the wrong order. Everybody and their grandma knows that Ozzy is a milion times better than Dio. Not that I have anything against Dio, great guy, love Heaven and Hell, but Ozzy Osbourne is the motherfuckin' Prince of Darkness and Godfather of Metal. You just can't beat that.
Dio is a better singer. But Ozzy is more iconic.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
It wouldn't really be a rock game without some drama hitching up development, this just adds to the magic.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
oliveira8 said:
NO NOT DIO!!!!

Man...a game about Heavy Metal without Dio...

Well it still has Lemmy, Ozzy, Lita Ford and Rob Halford.
Still, Tim Curry fits into the humour side of this game, and hopefully they'll be able to morph the existing character to take advantage of his crazyyyyy voice.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
curlycrouton said:
Dio can you hear me?
I am lost and so alone...
I'm askin' for your guidance,
Would you come down from your throne?
I need a tight compadre
Who will teach me how to rock...
Ozzie Osbourne thinks you're evil but man he can suck a ****
Rock is not the devil's work it's magical and rad
I'll never rock as long as I am stuck here with that fad

:D

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Umm.. I think that having ozzy involved would turn OFF more people than turn ON.. I mean.. helloo.. the Osbournes? I think that we are Ozzy'd out already.

This is LAME. Dio, I love you <3

Mar 17, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Dio is a better singer. But Ozzy is more iconic.
Meh, I disagree, they have very different styles and both have their own songs. Obviouslly something like Paranoid or Iron Man is better suited for Ozzy while something like Heaven and Hell is obviously a Dio song. You get the two to do each other's songs, and it ain't that good anymore.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Bullshit! If Ozzys mumbled mess of the English language is the schtick your referring to, I'll take Ronnie any day. The man taught metal how to throw the horns. Thats big.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Will Tim Curry be doing his dodgy Russian accent?
One can only hope so.

The only slight consolation to the fact he's replacing Dio is the possibility that he hams it up like in Red Alert 3. By Dio was that funny.

Still, even if you resurrected Peter Sellers himself and had him doing his Swedish sailor [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFgnT8Ikco] impression, it still wouldn't quite make up for cutting Ronnie James Dio from a metal game. Not even all the dodgy accents in Hammywood could make up for this travesty.