Rumor: Wii 2's Controller Will Feature Front-Facing Camera

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Rumor: Wii 2's Controller Will Feature Front-Facing Camera

Project Cafe's fancy controller sounds more similar to the 3DS by the day, and an anonymous source says this might not be a coincidence.

According to a source that Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37732/Develop-Source-Wii-2-pad-adds-camera-system] calls "close to the matter," the controller for Nintendo's next console will have a front-facing camera, which will be used for creating in-game images.

This comes after weeks of speculation about the new console and its controller, and the source also claims to be able to confirm some of those rumors. Supposedly, the controller will indeed have a large, 6 inch touchscreen (stylus perhaps included) and a standard button layout, as was first rumored about a month ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109445-Rumor-Concept-Designs-for-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-Surface].

With a touchscreen and camera, the new controller sounds suspiciously like a Nintendo DS or 3DS, and the source believes (but does not know for sure) that the handheld may be able to be used as a controller for the console. "The functions are the same," he says. "It is a standard wireless controller added with a front-facing camera and touch screen. That sounds far too much like a 3DS to me. But I can't confirm this, Nintendo is being very cautious about the details."

While it would certainly be interesting to see Nintendo's handhelds integrated into its next console as controllers, we won't know for sure the design or capabilities of either the console or its peripherals until Nintendo makes its official reveal next month at E3.

Source: CVG [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37732/Develop-Source-Wii-2-pad-adds-camera-system]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
And then you'll tell me that it will also be a toaster and that it will dispense chocolates (that would be awesome). I'm excited about seeing Project Cafe' at E3, but come on. Can we please stop with the speculation?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
This makes me worry, about just how much these controllers are going to cost...

I'm not up for £80 a pad.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
that doesn't sound good. i'm struggling to see what great gameplay can come out of a camera on the controller...

just sounds like a way to make the controller cost a bomb...

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Online video chat to replace online voice chat. That's the good it will do.

of course, because of how most people hold a controller, you're likely to only see necks, so brace for the beards.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Hitman Dread said:
Online video chat to replace online voice chat. That's the good it will do.

of course, because of how most people hold a controller, you're likely to only see necks, so brace for the beards.
So now you will get to see the face and/or neck of the five year old screaming in your ear?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
The new wii 2 is also rumored to have a rectal cam, and the system it's self will run on lasers and may be advertised as the new total gym just so Chuck norris can endorse it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Told you!! Ever since the first rumour, I've been saying that the 3DS and DS would be controllers.
Just wait for e3, you'll see I'm right!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
The DS could also be used as a controller for the Wii. My little brother had a spelling game where you could connect the DS and write the words on the touchscreen instead of trying to use the remote.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
They may want to turn the pad into something you can play on the move. We don't need that when the 3DS is still new.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This sounds good and all, plus for AAA games the camera can just be ignored (if devs are smart...), but I'm starting to worry about the price of controllers... they're already too expensive this gen, a lot going for the same price as a new game.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Being able to use handhelds as controllers is awesome. Being forced to buy handhelds to play with your friends, not so much.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Unsurprising. This is really only the natural evolution for Nintendo's philosophy. They did the same thing with the GBA/Gamecube (Four Swords Adventures/Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles) and DS/Wii (Pokemon Battle Revolution) - and it worked really well, but nobody wants to buy four handhelds for controllers.

If Nintendo is intentionally designing the Wii 2 around this sort of thing - and making it that so the 3DS can sub in for a controller, or you can just buy a new controller - that could be a marketing slam dunk.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Scott Bullock said:
Would really be super nice of them to rig it so their few-but-proud 3DS customers could just use that contraption rather than shelling out top dollar for a brand new copy of the same thing they just got done buying.

Of course, that's exactly why I didn't by a 3DS, so it might just be "lesson learned" for the ground-floor folks.