BioWare Tweet Confirms Dragon Age 3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioWare Tweet Confirms Dragon Age 3

Thanks to some BioWare tweeting, we now know that Dragon Age 3 is under development.

BioWare has confirmed the development of Dragon Age 3, though in the worst way. While you'd hope BioWare would at least first announce the game through a press release or interview that provides some kind of information, instead we have a 140-character tweet to thank.

BioWare's senior director of creative development Alistair McNally sent out a tweet hoping to recruit 3D artists to come work at BioWare Edmonton. A hashtag within the tweet kind of hints that the artist would be helping out on Dragon Age 3.

"I'm looking for exceptional environment artists to join me at #BioWare Edmonton, Canada to work on #DragonAge3 #gamejobs #jobs #3D #artists," the tweet reads. Got the chops? Send over your portfolio.

The notion of BioWare continuing work on its successful Dragon Age [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Ultimate-Pc/dp/B0045ZB66I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305900329&sr=8-3] franchise is about as crazy as putting syrup on pancakes. What this tweet really does is start the flood of speculation as to where BioWare will take the Dragon Age storyline.

While connected to Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Pc/dp/B0047THYWC/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305900448&sr=1-2] was not necessarily a direct sequel, following a new character named Hawke. For all we know, Dragon Age 3 could take players down another new path with a another new set of legendary folks doing legendary things.

Dragon Age: Origins was released in November 2009, followed by expansion pack Dragon Age: Awakening [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Awakening-Pc/dp/B003336KG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305901237&sr=8-3] in March 2010, with Dragon Age 2 dropping in March 2011. If BioWare sticks to that sort of release schedule for Dragon Age 3, we could see it hit shelves sometime in 2012. But first, how's abouts some screenshots or something?

Source: IGN [http://twitter.com/#!/Al_McNally]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm hoping this won't be a direct sequel, but I'm guessing it will be in at least some respect given the sequel-bait ending. The one that made no sense for a lot of people.

If my Warden sacrificed himself, and then a completely unrelated person disappears from public life 10 years later, how is that in any way "not a coincidence"?! At least I wasn't one of the ones who killed Leilana and then had her turn up I suppose.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This doesn't surprise me in any way at all. Dragon Age 2 may have been received poorly(I didn't mind it too much), it sold pretty well.

Hopefully they take all the criticism that hardcore fans have given them and find a good middle ground for everybody to enjoy the next game.

Definitely needs more variation in locations though.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
I'm looking forward to it. However I do have a message to Bioware. Please, please, please, PLEASE let me play as a dwarf! I want my great big bushy beard and my giant battleaxe back. Is that really too much to ask?

May 25, 2010
Dragon Age II had some good ideas but felt rushed. If they don't develop this game for at least 2 years, I predict shittyness. And a lot of it ,too. I like Dragon Age as a series, so I suppose I'm interested where they're taking this.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
oh Fuck, EA is turning Bioware into a Cash cow. from the date its almost a dragon age per year. EA ruins everything.

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
Sober Thal said:
'environment artists'

Yeah, they might need more than one. Give us more than just a few locations please ; )
That, which complements my wish for them to not rush-release an obviously unfinished game this time around.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
And in news that surprised no one...

Ehh I don't care that much. I didn't enjoy Origins and I never played anything more than the demo for DA:2.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Please, not 2012, I liked DA2 and all, but if Bioware are going to win some players back they'll need more time than that.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Well, it was pretty clear it was going to get made, so they hardly ruined the announcement.

Infact, I predict positive reactions to the hiring of new environment artists after Dragon Age 2's Copypastecopypastecopypaste problem.

Hopefully the EA statement about yearly installments was bunk and they'll take their time.
Maybe we'll actually get a worthy sequel to Origins then. That would be fun.
Still, this is gonna have to be one hell of a marketing campaign to repair the damage that was done.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So this means that we'll get another game like DA2 that was rushed and over simplified like the last?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
This doesn't surprise me in any way at all. Dragon Age 2 may have been received poorly(I didn't mind it too much), it sold pretty well.

Hopefully they take all the criticism that hardcore fans have given them and find a good middle ground for everybody to enjoy the next game.

Definitely needs more variation in locations though.
I don't really see why they need a middle ground. Origins went way over their expected sales, and was received a lot more positively. I think that even whilst DA2 sold more in the first week or so, its sales dropped pretty quickly, whereas Origins was much more steady.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
No way! I didn't think they would make another one. I hope the use DA2's plot for a setup for an all out way between Mages and Templars. It would be nice to have to pick a side at the start and not be retardedly in between like DA2.

I mean, wtf seriously. I am running around casting spells in the city carrying a Mages staff and all they all keep talking crap about "all mages should be caged" to my face. Idiotic writing. Maybe if they didnt say it to my face? I guess it would have been bad if I didnt play a mage but seriously.

Make me pick a side at the start and work for a resolution from within the factions.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I didn't know whether there would even be a DA3. I guess that is settled. It kinda has to be a direct sequel. DA2's ending was pure sequel bait.

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
Dragon Age 2 had a few major problems, but I still found it more interesting than Dragon Age Origins.

Using the same environment over and over again, because the large amount of voicework took up so much space of the discs on the console versions. They probably realized they would receive a large amount of flaming from the IP's fans of that decision themselves before the game came out, but sacrificed it nonetheless.

Waves of enemies. Tactics were generally useless in Dragon Age 2, because even if there was already a large amount of enemies. You could be certain the amount would be doubled by enemies appearing out of thin air, rooftops, closed doors, cleared tunnels or whatever else they could make up. I think most people would prefer enemies who are stronger instead of a large quantity to make the game challenging. If I am chasing a group of eight templars who are abusing their power, I find it quite unlikely that they suddenly get support from another 40 templars who appear out of thin air.

Some of your companions were just crap. Read Merril.

Spoiler: The ending of the game was also quite unsatisfying. I picked the side of the mages, but instead of the side of the mages winning I pretty much had to elimate every single mage I encountered, because they would all automatically resort to blood magic even if you were on the winning side. I also quite disliked how you never got the chance to prevent Anders from turning into a terrorist.

The way the story was told was quite interesting however. The game actually tricked you several times by making Varric lie to the seeker, resulting in you having to live through obvious lies of a storytelling dwarf. It was nearly as clever as the trial in chrono trigger, instead of rewarding you for the usual rpg behaviour, you got tricked.

The voicework was really well-done and the amount of it was quite amazing, but at a cost as you know.

I liked how they introduced some known characters from the franchise, but at the same time didn't give them the huge amount of influence they had in the original game. Alistair, Zhevran, Leliana, Sandal and his father to name a few.