Yale Medical School Develops Game To Fight HIV

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Yale Medical School Develops Game To Fight HIV

Videogames are great for entertainment and stress relief, but a new plan created by researchers at the Yale School of Medicine hopes to utilize the medium to combat the spread of HIV.

This initiative, dubbed "Play2Prevent" aims to educate young people deemed "at-risk" for the transmission of the HIV through the use of informative games and educational materials and "targeted interventions" by trained professionals.

Like the serious games movement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109995-GameSave-Might-Just-Save-Your-Life]. Specifically, the concept that videogames are an attractive, user-friendly way to disseminate information to people in a quick and efficient fashion.

"Games are powerful tools in helping people explore roles and risks before life makes them all-too-real and risky," states Yale associate professor of medicine Dr. Lynn E. Fiellin. "The Play2Prevent initiative focused on helping its players meet the challenges at-risk youth must face head on."

The Play2Prevent program will be developed over the next 18 months, before being tested on 300 students in New Haven, Connecticut. If the program proves successful, the researchers hope to have the game running on low-end PC tablet devices sometime in the next year.

I like this plan a lot, though the pessimist in me wonders if this will even make a dent in the issue. Even discounting all the other HIV/AIDS vectors, the process of educating people in safe sex alone has to contend with very real parts of our modern world in which people consider condoms anathema by virtue of their religious beliefs. These are the same regions that, in an example of the universe's sick sense of humor, also boast our planet's highest incidence of sexual assault.

The serious games concept is sound and I'm certainly a proponent, but the full extent of its powers to help the grim corners of human existence have yet to be tested.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.play2prevent.org/index.aspx]

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Certainly sounds better than having leaflets laying around doctors' waiting rooms.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I'm picturing some kind of messed up Kinect game where you move your hands over your crotch to put a virtual condom on a giant onscreen dick.

lol

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
sounds like a hentai game...except with condoms.

....what? why are you looking at me like that? DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
haha damn. Guess I have to wait another fifty years before they make a game where you control nanobots within someone's actual body and destroy some AIDS or Cancer or simple bacteria... Come on science, make medicine fun!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
squid5580 said:
Hey thats brilliant. Turn everyone into gamers so no one can get laid
If I didn't know so many people who fit into that stereotype, I might be offended.

However, currently I think this statement is accurate :p

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
I thought WoW was already doing a great job at HIV, sex, UV exposure, and gainful employment prevention.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
But do people really enjoy playing serious games? I may be a cynical old bastard, but I don't think any serious game will ever make a difference if it isn't designed by people who's is to make games. If it isn't fun, no one will pay attention.