Arkham City's Harley Quinn Might Sound Like My Little Pony

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Arkham City's Harley Quinn Might Sound Like My Little Pony

Voice actress Arleen Sorkin, who defined the character of Harley Quinn in Batman: The Animated Series, will not be reprising her role in the upcoming Arkham City.

The critically acclaimed 1990s cartoon Batman: The Animated Series brought Bat-fans everywhere the defining voices for many of DC's iconic characters. Kevin Conroy was a stalwart Dark Knight, Mark Hamill nailed a legendary performance as the Joker, and Arleen Sorkin captured the part of Harley Quinn, Joker's lovesick, devoted and slightly psychotic sidekick.

These actors have reprised their roles many a time since then, like with 2009's stellar Batman: Arkham Asylum. Some are returning for its sequel - though Mark Hamill has confirmed that it will be the final time he voices Joker - but Sorkin's Harley Quinn will not be one of them.

Replacing Arleen Sorkin as Harley will be veteran voice actor Tara Strong, who has voiced taken the internet by storm [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Strong] as unicorn mage Twilight Sparkle in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

This won't be Strong's first time in the Batman universe, either - she voiced Batgirl in the TAS followup The New Batman Adventures as well as in several games, and has also appeared on Batman: The Brave and the Bold as Huntress.

There's an excellent Q&A with Ms. Strong on the Arkham City site [http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/951-The-Voice-Behind-Harley-Quinn?p=15875], in which she assures fans of Arleen Sorkin's Harley that she knows the role has "an established voice and character" that she intends to honor to the best of her ability. Given the wide variety of her roles, one can only imagine she has the chops for it.

Make no mistake, Tara Strong is certainly a talented and varied voice actor, and I have no doubt that she'll do a great job as Harley Quinn. That doesn't mean that part of me won't kind of miss Arleen Sorkin's "puddin'," though - it might be a great performance, but it won't be what we're used to, and I don't blame fans for being a bit disappointed.

(Joystiq [http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/951-The-Voice-Behind-Harley-Quinn?p=15875])

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
But she did her voice in the trailer that is just plain cruel I can't image Quinn being voiced by anyone else!

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Azurian said:
But she did her voice in the trailer that is just plain cruel I can't image Quinn being voiced by anyone else!
That's not her voice in the trailer, buddy.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well.... Its a darn shame :(
BUT!!!

I hope that, amoing the bound to be hundred of posters all whining about the loss of Sorkin and immediate damnation of Strong as Harley Quin, 1 poster will realize that Tara Strong is freaking awesome!

And even if she can't match Sorkin's work, well... I mean... what the hell does Quin actually ever add to... anything?
I mean I love her and everything but... Really? What the does she even do?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Huh. Well that's not really a bad thing.

I love the regular voice of Quinn but Tara Strong has done tons of voice work before and from other stuff I've heard her in, she can do a high pitched voice, so it probably will sound pretty good. Plus, I may be a minority here, but Strong sounds pretty damn good in everything I've heard her in. She's not in hundreds of voice roles for nothing.

Besides, it's Batman. It'll be awesome regardless of who's doing the voices here.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Tara Strong is a really good voice actress. Why are people deeming Arkham City RUINED FOREVAR??!!1?!11

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, that would be weird. I can't watch any Batman cartoon because I was spoiled on Mark Hamil as the Joker in the 90s. Sorkin voiced Harley in a similar way. Even if I haven't watched anything with the character in years, I can still conjure Harley's voice in my head with ease.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I could of told you this a few months ago when it was a rumour on IMDB... It's hardly news, is it? ¬_¬

Also you missed the best part: Catwoman will be voiced by Grey DeLisle. If she and Tara Strong share any scenes it will be impossible to take it seriously.

Seriously, all I'll be able to hear is these two

Top35

Apr 14, 2010
Now whenever I hear her voice in the game I'm gonna hum the My Little Pony theme. hehehe

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Internet reaction:
This game is completely fucking destroyed now!
I refuse to buy this game and Rocksteady is now officially the worst developer in the universe and this woman is worse than Hitler.

Reality:
Most people probably wont notice the difference when playing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I found out she voiced Dil Pickles, and my mind exploded.

Beyond that, I bet she'll knock the socks off everyone's expectations, even if many fans won't notice.

This doesn't ruin Batman Arkham City. I mean, it's HARLEY QUINN. If you changed Batman or the Joker, maybe we'd have a few issues. But it's just Harley Quinn.