Unreleased NES Game War On Wheels Now For Sale

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Unreleased NES Game War On Wheels Now For Sale

Two decades after development was halted on Jaleco's War On Wheels, the NES roller derby simulation is finally available for purchase.

According to Sculptured Software [http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/11/war-on-wheels-nes-unreleased/] in 1991 that allowed gamers to physically assault anyone they couldn't out-skate. Reviews of the game exist in magazines of the time, though no one seems to have any idea why a title so close to completion was canned.

Regardless, The NES Dump is now selling a limited run of the game freshly burned onto the NES-trademark grey plastic cartridges. For $50 (plus $5 shipping if you live anywhere outside the U.S.), the site will send you the game, a 10-page instruction manual, and a classic NES-style cardboard box sourced from the game's pre-production artwork.

Originally I was going to comment on the excellent work The NES Dump has done in resurrecting a game that would otherwise be lost to the fires of development hell, but then I was distracted by the video GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/05/danny_unreleased_nes_game_war.php] found of the game itself.

Did you notice anything odd there? Maybe something regarding the naming scheme of the teams?

War On Wheels features a team named the "Los Angeles Illegals."

Presumably because the "Los Angeles Schwarzenegger's Illegitimate Children" wouldn't make any sense for another 20 years.

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.thenesdump.com/New%20Website/war%20on%20wheels.htm]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm very tempted to get this...Then again I would be one of the only people who would buy NES and SNES games if Nintendo started making and releasing new ones.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Eh, call me when someone sells a beta disc of a PS2 game or something.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Wow a crappy looking, racist video game can finally see the light of day! ... Why exactly?
The naming thing was just a rhyming coincidence that's two decades off!

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I can't wait to play this on my PS-- my, Nintendo Wi--, err... my Game Cu--

Well... This is a bit of a sticky wicket.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
if it had some catchy 80's American background music or some iteration or an 8bit Beatles rip off, i would have been so down for this

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
if i still owned a nes, then yeah....maybe. But at that price....a lil bit outrageous . They cant even claim development costs >.>

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
laryri said:
Duke Nukem Forever just got one upped in the late release department.
well, back to the can for DN4... If the Duke can't even properly claim the longest development time then what's the point?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Huh. I wasn't expecting so many of you to be opposed to the idea of buying this thing. I guess this isn't a retro collector crowd.

Does the rarity of this thing not do anything for you guys? Sure, it's forced and entirely intended, but for a maximum of $55, you're getting one of the only 250 cartridges of this game in existence.

That's kinda cool, right?

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Huh. I wasn't expecting so many of you to be opposed to the idea of buying this thing. I guess this isn't a retro collector crowd.

Does the rarity of this thing not do anything for you guys? Sure, it's forced and entirely intended, but for a maximum of $55, you're getting one of the only 250 cartridges of this game in existence.

Well, isn't the main point of collecting rare stuff mostly just bragging rights or because you're a huge fan of the series or makers of the game?
And there are plenty other rare and limited edition stuff out there from better known game series and/or developers...

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Brand new NES titles in 2011...

Maybe this planet isn't TOO bad.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:

I'm not opposed to buying it, I just don't have $50. I don't even have any of the current gen systems >_> does the PSP count as current gen still? I have 2 game for it...

how do I live, right? I've been playing Pokemon Crystal on my Gameboy Color to entertain
myself for the past few weeks.

also...

LOLOL they even put the Nintendo seal of Approval on the box and stuff. I wonder if they actually went through Nintendo to get that on there...