Cave Story 3D Retro Mode Puts 2D Sprites in 3D Environments

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Cave Story 3D Retro Mode Puts 2D Sprites in 3D Environments

The 2D characters from the original Cave Story are making their way into Cave Story 3D.

As seen Cave Story 3D [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109687-Cave-Story-3D-Screens-Show-Major-Changes] looks very different from the game's previous versions. However, it won't be totally unfamiliar thanks to a newly unveiled 2D sprite mode.

Cave Story 3D is more of a remake than a port due to brand new 3D environments and character models. 2D sprite mode will replace those character models with sprites from the original game created by Daisuke Amaya for the PC in 2004. According to developer Nicalis's Tyrone Rodriguez, the mode will replace "literally every character and boss in the game."

Cave Story's graphics have been altered once before for the WiiWare release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7402-Review-Cave-Story] of the title, upgrading the 2D sprites to a higher resolution. These are not being included, nor are 2D environments, due to hardware differences and the new engine used for the 3DS.

What you get, going by the single screenshot available, is a strange combination of new and old. By strange, I mean strangely appealing, as if the game's characters took a trip through a dimensional portal. Retro throwbacks are always welcomed in my book.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-old-meets-new-in-cave-story-3d-201557.phtml]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
damn, I was hoping that if I wanted to I could forgo the 3d and just play the classic 2d version but it sounds like that wont be an option

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
Oh. My. Gawd.
This has confirmed my decision to buy a 3DS.
I didn't even know of Cave Story 3D until now.
Made my day.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
2d sprites on 3D environments?

that reminds me mostly of the special stages of Knuckles Chaotix on the 32X

other than that, this game might just be the only reason for me to buy a 3DS

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
With 2D sprites it brings back the charm that was lost when it was purely 3D.
But I may still prefer the original version.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Worgen said:
damn, I was hoping that if I wanted to I could forgo the 3d and just play the classic 2d version but it sounds like that wont be an option
well you could just play the free pc version in that case.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
I guess it's trying to go for the Paper Mario look...

honestly, those sprites better get cleaned up a bit if they're going through with this. Right now it's too stark a contrast for me to buy.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
zidine100 said:
Worgen said:
well you could just play the free pc version in that case.
I know but I still want to be able to do it on my 3ds

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
So will it be a sidescroller like the last or will it be more like Paper Mario? I was skeptical of the 3D models but even now I'm unsure whether to get this one for the 3DS or the Wiiware original.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
So will it be a sidescroller like the last or will it be more like Paper Mario? I was skeptical of the 3D models but even now I'm unsure whether to get this one for the 3DS or the Wiiware original.
It looks like 2D gameplay. The WiiWare/DSiWare version still has the remastered 2D graphics version with the redone soundtrack (that is actually better than the original, but hated on for no good reason).

Marcusss said:
Still ugly...:/
I wouldn't be making that claim sporting a NEGIMA avatar. Just sayin'.

Palademon said:
With 2D sprites it brings back the charm that was lost when it was purely 3D.
But I may still prefer the original version.
No "charm" is lost in the transition to 3D. This is rose-colored glasses talk.

The preceding reality check comes from a HUGE Cave Story fan.

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
Carlos Alexandre said:
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
It looks like 2D gameplay. The WiiWare/DSiWare version still has the remastered 2D graphics version with the redone soundtrack (that is actually better than the original, but hated on for no good reason).
I played the demo for the Wiiware version and I preferred the original 8-bit style music to the remastered one. The new soundtrack just sounded a bit too slow for my tastes. Hopefully this new version gives us the option, but I doubt it will happen.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
I played the demo for the Wiiware version and I preferred the original 8-bit style music to the remastered one. The new soundtrack just sounded a bit too slow for my tastes. Hopefully this new version gives us the option, but I doubt it will happen.
Apologies: I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone using the original soundtrack was wrong to do so. I just got sick of the new soundtrack getting ripped on, hence my little bracketed jab.

As for the new version's soundtrack; it's getting redone again. I'm thinking the 3DS game card should be able to fit all three soundtracks. We'll see.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
I loved Cave Story originally, and I've been excited for this since it was announced. I really like the idea of having a 2D sprite option.

Dissolve

Garroter of Maladjusted Slobs
Apr 27, 2011
I really hate to sound like a bear with a sore head, but I've been seriously annoyed by NIS for charging for ports of a free game. I might note that there have already been free ports of this games to other platforms, including both the original Xbox and PSP. Any proper developer would take the license of such a renowned game and at least pair it with additional content. For example, a prequel could flesh out what kind of devastating war was fought before the events of Cave Story, and would more than excuse placing a price on repackaging an old title.

Someone please tell me that Daisuke Amaya is getting royalties for this.