224: Behind the Counter at GameStop

Jason Fanelli

Oct 19, 2009
Behind the Counter at GameStop

Ever since he was a young boy, Jason Fanelli had a dream: to sell games at a specialty retailer like GameStop. Over a decade later, that dream finally became a reality. But would actually working behind the counter live up to his expectations?

Read Full Article

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
I've always gone to my local EB Games and gotten whatever new title had cought my eye. But, they stoped being interested in PC games after gamestop bought them out. And i've heared lots of negativity about gamestop. I still go in there to get my new games but, I seem to have lost my respect for the store. Sorry, to sound like a PC Gaming elitist but, its the only platform that I actually have any good games on.

It seems that It'd be great to work there for keeping up to date on whats happening, but how do you deal with the anti-gaming mothers and the whiny little kids? (My friends sister works at the game section of Futureshop) just curious to see if you have any funny stories about that.

G-Mang

May 11, 2009
I can't help but feel like having to work selling games and know all about them regardless of whether or not I've played them like that would have quite a negative effect on my personal gaming.

I'm also surprised by the lack of mention about grievances provided by a lot of gamespot employees (see Zero Originality [http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/zero%2Boriginality/video/x6wnow_zero-originality-episode-1_videogames]).

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
This article was kind of a slope toward disappointment. The title seemed interesting enough. I used to work at a Gamestop a few years ago during a break between undergrad and law school. When I saw it was by an acting manager, I figured it might be a little slanted, but hey, there's plenty of anti-gamestop stuff out there already so let's hear both sides.

It ended up being cloyingly naive and one-sided. Someone really expected working at a store that sells games would somehow plug them into the "industry"? Come on. Working at Blockbuster doesn't plug you into the film industry, and essentially Gamestop cycles games through almost as many hands as a rental store (at least they hope to).

All in all, it would have been more interesting to hear someone who actively wanted (and still seems to want) to be a part of a much-reviled company say something to address the critics. If the writer is so upbeat, I don't want to force him to look at the company's dirty laundry, but he has to be aware of it. And I think someone so keen on the job might have an interesting perspective.

Oh well, not this time.

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
G-Mang said:
I can't help but feel like having to work selling games and know all about them regardless of whether or not I've played them like that would have quite a negative effect on my personal gaming.
While I don't work for GameStop, I can tell you as a retailer myself that knowing everything about games is something I'd be doing even if I wasn't. In fact, I was doing all this, reading articles and magazines, consuming news voraciously, all of that I was doing before I got my job. And it's why how I'm a retailer now: it was my step in the door!

The only negative impact it's had on me is that I don't enjoy my time as a customer in a game store like I used to. I could spend hours in EBGames (back when they were called Electronics Boutique, I tell you!), just browsing, or maybe talking to the employees there if it was quiet. Now, I know the library of any standard game retailer back to front with a glance. I know all the new titles, what they're like, what people're buying, and what they're scorning.

And that provides some very interesting insights. Wii is well and truly -king-, in terms of numbers sold. Sports games have some seriously hardcore fans, and will absolutely turn a profit. Used games... they're not just good moneymakers, they're crucial to a retailer's success. These are things I might have disagreed with, or outright disbelieved, had I not worked where I do. I can also tell you that the population of gamers on The Escapist is -nothing- like the total gaming demographic, since Wii and DS rocked up.

What hasn't changed, and I don't see it changing anytime soon, is my love of gaming, and even moreso, my love of games. Knowing who made what, what companies just merged together or split, knowing -how- a game works doesn't detract; it enhances. But most importantly, games are still engines designed for FUN! And I get that out of them in spades, for so many reasons.

Jason, you wrote a great article. Gaming isn't my hobby, it's my life. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

jrr

Aug 5, 2009
how do you feel about having to sell disc doctors and push preorders?

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Nice Article Jason. I had wanted to get a job at an EB back in the day, but the EB by me always had a long list of people waiting for a job there. Still I have spent many afternoons and evenings talking about games and helping various Mom's and Dad's pick out the best games for their kids.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Eudaemonian said:
All in all, it would have been more interesting to hear someone who actively wanted (and still seems to want) to be a part of a much-reviled company say something to address the critics. If the writer is so upbeat, I don't want to force him to look at the company's dirty laundry, but he has to be aware of it. And I think someone so keen on the job might have an interesting perspective.

Oh well, not this time.
I'm just left wondering how much the Escapist was paid for this article.

I hope it was a good chunk of change.

The crowds at game conventions are already a deterrent, Add a legion of fruitcakes who work at Gamestop and it'll be like Idiocracy. They should just open up their own little convention as suggested; unless of course those meetings are really Bilderberg like conclaves where they figure out new ways of ripping off gamers. Then I can see why they wouldn't want their minimum wage grunts know how much money the company is really pulling in.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The employees tend to be great at Gamestop. It's the executives who are clueless about gaming.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
GonzoGamer said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it is disappointing that they thought a virtually contentless article that reads like a PR release from Gamestop was a good idea. I tend to find that poor judgment is a better and more common explanation for things than genuine treachery.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I'll admit this article sounded like a recruitment advert for Gamestop. Yet nothing was mentioned about giving a total pittance to the gamers who try to trade in used games. Which is not a nice way to treat "the people who keep gaming alive" as the article would have us believe.

I don't mind the store taking home a profit - that's capitalism for you. But when they rip the customers off like that is nothing short of insulting. But sadly, as the gamers do choose to trade with Gamestop - nothing can be done about it because it's all done willingly.

There is an alternative to this in the form of selling your games online - but that's no guaranty that you'll get a sale. But if you do, you'll get far more money for your game. (And sweet FA if you don't.)

I guess the equation all boils down to:

Gamestop will definitely give you something for your games - a pittance and convenience.
Internet will give you more money, but more trouble in the form of postage and packing.

Gamestop would probably receive far more trade-ins if they didn't give such a pittance to the gamer for them.

Drakey

May 17, 2008
Yay! What a nice thing to see! As an Eb Games / GameStop AssMan myself its awesome to see another write out just how Neat it really is to be on the other side of the counter!

I noticed that there were no children in ovens, no burning effigys, torturous screams from the back room, Subtle red horns growning from the forehead, etc..

Yay! I too am envyous of the vendor show. To not only go to a semi-personalized 'e3' for Eb/Gamestop managers, but to be wined and dined by the big three and more also seems very tantalizing! I cant wait till I get to bring home my own swag box to pass around to the kids at my store :)

Its a dirty job, but hey... I get to do it, you other schmucks can wait your turn :)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Eudaemonian said:
GonzoGamer said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it is disappointing that they thought a virtually contentless article that reads like a PR release from Gamestop was a good idea. I tend to find that poor judgment is a better and more common explanation for things than genuine treachery.
Don't get me wrong, I don't resent the escapist for taking kickbacks (if that's what was involved here) for publishing some questionable credible articles. I'm just saying that I hope that if that was the case, they made a lot of money.

That and I Hate Gamestop. As a consumer I generally don't like the price gouging or the pre-order scam, but it's the morons who work there that prevent me from shopping there anymore.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Drakey said:
Yay! What a nice thing to see! As an Eb Games / GameStop AssMan myself its awesome to see another write out just how Neat it really is to be on the other side of the counter!

I noticed that there were no children in ovens, no burning effigys, torturous screams from the back room, Subtle red horns growning from the forehead, etc..

Yay! I too am envyous of the vendor show. To not only go to a semi-personalized 'e3' for Eb/Gamestop managers, but to be wined and dined by the big three and more also seems very tantalizing! I cant wait till I get to bring home my own swag box to pass around to the kids at my store :)

Its a dirty job, but hey... I get to do it, you other schmucks can wait your turn :)
This post is so enthusiastic that I really want it to be sarcastic, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I'm really surprised that the "wow I work at a game store" euphoria persists for more than a couple week in the face of the reality of retail hell.

I guess I'm glad someone is doing these "dirty jobs". Then again, there's literally a gamestop every couple of blocks, so I could probably do without most of them. As for us "other schmucks", I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the year I took off before grad school working at a Gamestop made me enthusiastic. Not about Gamestop like this guy, but about going back and getting a real job before I got stuck into the sort of complacency that I see far too many people trapped in.

Drakey

May 17, 2008
Well, Thank you Eudaemonian. Since the world has to many lawers already, I have chosen (yes 'Chosen') employment in retail. And it doesnt hurt or anything either:) Cheers to chosen career paths!

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Drakey said:
Well, Thank you Eudaemonian. Since the world has to many lawers already, I have chosen (yes 'Chosen') employment in retail. And it doesnt hurt or anything either:) Cheers to chosen career paths!
If you enjoy it, more power to you, but what do you say to all the criticisms of the company that are literally everywhere on the internet? Do you think they're false? Do you just not care?

We didn't get to hear this in Jason's article, but you seem just as hyped about your job, so maybe you can add some insight here.

I have a hard time understanding why someone would enjoy a demanding, low-pay job working for a company that's arguably hurting the industry that they care about. If you really do enjoy it, then fine. You don't have to explain it to me or anyone else. But when you call everyone else schmucks and assume they would want your job, I think that suggests you would be willing to explain why.

Ah, and yes, the world does have enough lawyers in aggregate, evidenced by layoffs in New York, but as it turns out my neck of the woods could use at least one more.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
This would be an easy job for me, as I'm enthusiastic about gaming.I also think i'm good with people, which would endlessly help.