224: Behind the Counter at GameStop

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I think that working in a game store would be great socially, lots of people who are into games, and people who might listen to other peoples opinions. Remember what it was like at school, when everyone pretty much had the same consoles, we'd swap games, borrow/lend games, and talk about games the whole time. The best period in gaming for me was the mid-80's, when the ZX Spectrum was around, and the C64 I guess - but anyway you could get decent games for just a couple of quid, pocketmoney prices. There would always be computer fairs, and car-boot sales always had a couple of game stalls. It was a good time to be a gamer, you didn't need a lot of money, you just needed to be prepared to explore. I wouldn't relish starting a collection these days, so bloody expensive, and modern console games are just not very collectable IMO.

Not trying to diss though, but in the UK, working at GameStop is not something to brag about - it's the sort of thing someone might do if they have no other option, it's basically 1-up form McDonalds. Even being an assistant manager, it's kinda held in the same regard as with McD's, hang around for a year and your bound to be the manager of something. I do envy the guys running computer shops in the 80's and 90's, when it was more about gamers, and less about grandma's buying DS games. Old computer shops would lure you in with cool gear, they'd try and impress you, and these days when I walk into GameStop, or any modern game store - I don't feel like my opinion really counts for anything, and really I don't even feel like sharing it with people who have only just started shaving. I feel like I have to check for approval when buying a game from them, as if they care if I take home a turkey... Know what, stupid little girl with blue fricken hair and metal in your face - I'm buying Viva Pinata, Pikmen, Harvest Moon, and Animal Crossing, and I don't need 'that' look from you!.... And, if I ask for a game that is sold out, don't look at me as if I'm retarded for not pre-ordering, look at me like that and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron....

Sorry, low bloodsugar and incepid memories about damp smelling game stores are taking their toll! I buy all my games online these days, not that there are any game stores left anyway, even if I wanted to go browsing.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
King of Prussia? is that the best name ever for a small northeastern city or what?