224: The Road to Recovery

amiscribe

Oct 18, 2009
The Road to Recovery

Most of us have experienced the gaming binge, when you become one with a game and time becomes irrelevant. But for Connor Scully-Allison, it's more than just a way to spend a weekend: It's a path to lead him back to his hardcore gamer roots.

Read Full Article

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Hi there Connor, nice article, quite familiar too. May I ask how you got your article in this issue of The Escapist, and why? Did you contact this site yourself with a proposal for this article? Seems like a weird thing to do for someone who isn't (or wasn't?) a hardcore gamer or for a historystudent.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Gaming binge huh? I am no stranger to that! My longest was about 38 hours, it was Kingdom Hearts when it first came out. Second longest was Final Fantasy X with 32 hours and third longest was 23 hours on Final Fantasy XI. I think Fallout 3 may end up taking 3rd soon because I can't get enough of it. BTW yes I have no life...

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I usually see hardcore gaming, as simply playing a game for a load of time, persistence. I would also call someone a hardcore gamer, if gaming is there main hobby, that's about all you need to be a hardcore gamer in my eyes.

I know that some people think of "hardcore gamer" as something more extreme.

One must also know the difference between what makes a hardcore gamer, hardcore, and a hardcore game, hardcore.

It's a nice article, and I recognize the feeling all too well.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
It's hard to find gaming binges like this these days, but the past few months I got them with Shadow Complex and Brutal Legend. Gameplay so addicting that I don't realize the sun has fallen until I have to get up and answer the phone.

However, in terms of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed? That isn't a binge, that's an endurance test. I played the first few levels, but there was too much wrong with the game for me to justify going through it. I'm sorry, but all the force powers in the world couldn't save that game from its sheer lack of polish.

Jan 3, 2009
At first I thought this was going to be about trying to stop video game addiction. But this was different for the better.

Since Im a high school student who does his homework before I even go home I have a couple hours each night to beat that rented game. I never finish but I feel like I got the gist of it.

Oh and Halo 3 with co-op is doable in a day and is the definition of challenging but not frustrating in co-op.

I notice that all co-op well executed is that perfect ratio.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
My my, that sounds like the exact opposite of what I'm going through right now... It feels just as good too. I suppose change is always good. Dive as deep as possible then come all the way up again for air.

wonkey20

Sep 24, 2009
I cringe everytime I think about the time I went on a super binge.. The year was 2006 and the game was BF2.. I played that thing for 36 hours pretty well stright(few breaks for snacks and washroom breaks) I then went to sleep for 5 hours and was on for another 6.. Then I relized I had to slowww it down a little bit.. It was a bad but awesome time.. God I love BF2..

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I've lost my spark.

When I game I just feel like I'm going through the motions, not involving myself or enjoying every minute. I don't even look at it during or hold it afterwards anymore.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I've actually made it through the Force Unleashed without much to gripe
I mean it's not very long to begin with and it's fun enough to get through

tho I have been playing games and realized I wasn't having any fun...
hate it when that happens
sometimes it's just me, not the games

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
I know the exact feeling. I've just moved city after getting a promotion and there's been about a month between any long stints of gaming. I've had a few hours of Spelunky and off-line Left 4 Dead to keep me going but hopefully next week I can break out the online again!

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I disagree about a dubious sense of accomplishment being what gaming is all about. I have gone on seven hour binges and persisted in the face of absurd difficulty, but I can never convince myself that it was fun or worthwhile after the fact. My fondest gaming memories are still from The Secret of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, they are the only games I have had for more than 4 years that still I drag out for nostalgic value.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It doesn't sound like the worst idea but why fight it is what I'm wondering.
If you're not gaming as much, you must be doing something else. Maybe something you find more engrossing. There's nothing wrong with that.
For me it's always a really good new game that gets me playing regularly again.

Caprice0083

Jun 24, 2009
Good story, you reminded me of when I went to my cousin's house and beat Halo 3 in 10 hours overnight, starting mid evening and playing to sun up next day. Haven't done that since Sonic 3!