Molyneux Wants to Help Rare Find Itself

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Molyneux Wants to Help Rare Find Itself

Lionhead boss and Microsoft Game Studios Europe creative director Peter Molyneux thinks Viva Pinata creators Rare have plenty of talent, but they lack something Molyneux himself has in spades: identity.

Now that Peter Molyneux is no longer just the boss of Lionhead Studios but lords over all of Microsoft's European studios as creative director of Microsoft Game Studios Europe, he has the power not just to make games but to influence the way the companies that make them operate. And he wants to start doing that by injecting Rare with a little bit of flavor.

"Actually one of the things I really want to do is help Rare have more of an identity," he told GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/molyneux-i-want-to-help-rare-have-more-of-an-identity]. "And make sure the people at Rare are seen more within the industry."

The formerly Nintendo-owned Rare may no longer be working under the watchful eyes of that company, but it's retained the reticent nature that it was forced to adopt as one of Nintendo's satellite studios. "I was totally blown away from the amount of talent that there is at Rare, but it's just that they come from a background where Nintendo required them to be this very, very secretive company," Molyneux said. "I just want to give them the confidence to tell the world what they're doing. I hope you're going to see more from Rare and I want to help them get well know."

So is Molyneux going to give the Rare kids a lesson in some of that patented Molyneux charm? Are all Rare employees going to start talking in outrageous hyperboles and promising that the next Viva Pinata will literally change your life? We can't say for sure yet, but at least we know that Rare's games won't change much. "You'll definitely still recognize a Rare game," Molyneux said.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
What a self-righteous *mumble mumble mumble* but then again that isn't anything we didn't already know I guess :p

On a side note, Rare not having a big enough identity? really?

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
If RARE wants to "find itself", they really need to add Killer Instinct to their games that need to be remade list. Heck, they did it with Banjo and Perfect Dark, why not KI?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Keane I usually know what your avatar is but I have no idea what this turtle cat thing is.

Wow I thought Molyneux would have his ego sated for at least a good few month after showing that crap that can talk to that imaginary kid.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I actually agree with Molyneux - it does seem as though Rare's games slip under the radar. As he says they were once required to be a secretive company; in an industry in which success is usually measured by information regarding a game Rare's strategy no longer works. Which is a shame because they have made some unique and frankly excellent games.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Brace yourselves, he is going to have Rare make Fable 3 and Milo 2 then call them something else.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Keane I usually know what your avatar is but I have no idea what this turtle cat thing is.
It's a Cat-Bus. I can't remember what it's from, but it's as insane as it sounds.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
I get what he means I suppose about Rare not pushing their new creating forward enough but I wouldn't exactly say that they lack identity. They are one of the best known games developers and are famous for Banjo, Perfect Dark etc. And everyone who's played Donkey Kong 64 must love it. So basically he just wants them to publicise creations more as Rare makes 'em then?

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
Could Rare just have a bunch of modest employees that would rather make games instead of praising their games? No, they just don't know what they are doing, lets get them to make outrageous promises.

AMCization

Jun 1, 2009
Meado said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
It's a Cat-Bus. I can't remember what it's from, but it's as insane as it sounds.
My neighbour totoro

Studio ghibli...An awesome film =]

Cat bus ftw

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Aaarrgghh! What a big bouncing ball of confusion. On one had I understand games need to be hyped. It is how you sell them. On the other I am in the wait til the game is done before releasing snippets of info on it camp. I am tired of reading how great the hands on was only for the same person say the game sucks ass when the full version comes out. I am sick of hearing about some amazing must have title that is 2 years away from being released. I would much rather hear about a game when it is being slapped onto the dvd. No more heart breaking delays. No more watching my money not collect interest on my preorders at Gamestop.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
AMCization said:
Meado said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
My neighbour totoro

Studio ghibli...An awesome film =]

Cat bus ftw
That studio name is a pain to remember how to spell. Gihbli? Gibli? Giblih? Gisdryu6uilli?

Considering Rare's non-success of Nuts and Bolts, I'd make them deliver a new hit game before I let them talk smack. You don't need a bunch of hype if your game is awesome. If you just run some ads, people will tell other people about the game. You also have to make sure that it's not being released at the same time as a game from a major franchise. I'm looking at you Psychonauts.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Rare doesn't need to "find themselves" : they just need to start making awesome games again.

C'mon Rare... you can do it!

toasterslayer

Dec 24, 2008
i think that they could get a little more promoting in. bungie is an extremely well known company and it only has 2 series in its belt. Rare has made enough to get somewhat of an image.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
Maybe Rare can return the favor and help Lion Head Studios find itself someday?
Still, a 'Conker's Bad Fur Day' styled game with the ability to choose between good and evil, pure and impure, male and female could be a hoot.
"What? I don't have to urinate on this guy to proceed? How marvelous."

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Maybe all this is just Molyneux-talk for "I told them to get Banjo out of the damn car/boat/plane and back onto platforming like a good little bear".

I hope so, at any rate. I'd love to see what Rare could do if they focused on a new platformer title. Banjo? Conker? I don't mind. Hell, you could make a new character if you want to, Rare. I'll still be hyped for the game if it involves platforms and there's a big R in it somewhere.