Take Our Film Noir Quiz!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Take Our Film Noir Quiz!

Take a time out from playing L.A. Noire to see how much you know about classic film noir.

Everyone is buzzing about Rockstar's detective game that takes place in 1940's Los Angeles, a prime locale for the noir style of film. Movies in the noir genre are gritty affairs, showcasing the worst in people - love affairs gone wrong, betrayal, lies, and more than a few murders. The events of L.A. Noire fit that mold quite well, but let's see how much you know about the movies that inspired the game.

As always, you'll have as long as you like to take the quiz, and can retake it until you get that 100%, but your cumulative time will affect your position on the leaderboard.

Just remember - never trust a dame, especially not one with legs that go all the way down to the floor.

(Take the quiz. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/view/150])

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Shycte said:
Uhm, where is the Quiz?
Right here, good Sir. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/view/150-The-Escapists-Film-Noir-Quiz]

I was hoping for a question on The Third Man, and it turned out to be the last one I got. I felt all fuzzy inside.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
YES! Three semesters of studying Film Noir finally pays off! I'm surprised what I remembered about those classes. I slept through most of them...still got A's tho...

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I notice that if a question contains the word 'Famous', I inevitably do not know the answer. *sigh*

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
7/10. Pretty good considering that the closest thing to film noir I've ever seen is a let's play of Max Payne 2.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Closer than me. The closest thing to Noir I've seen is Multiple Man references in X-Factor.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'm surprised there wasn't any question about Double Indemnity, it's a classic but less well known, could have made a good challenge question to trip people up. Cool quiz though, Film Noir is one of my favorite genres of film

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I thought this quiz would be a lot harder, considering the I been to film school and I know it could have been harder, but I've seen most of the films listed, which created my hate for Film Noir, but not as much as French New Wave.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well go figure, i failed it pretty horribly. That may be because I'm not a fan of noir films.
Oh well.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Good, at least watching Citizen Kane during Dutch class served me here.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Clockwork Scarecrow. said:
Why do they insist on spelling "Noir" wrong?
Who? As far as I know, 'noir' is the French masculine version of the word and 'noire' is the feminine version, so it can go either way depending on the context. Or were you referring to something else...? D:

OT: 10/10. Fuck yeah. *dons fedora*

Jul 9, 2010
Captain Booyah said:
Who? As far as I know, 'noir' is the French masculine version of the word and 'noire' is the feminine version, so it can go either way depending on the context. Or were you referring to something else...? D:

I was referring to Rockstar.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I didn't do so well on this one... only got 50% of them right and that was with alot of guessing too. D:

Guess I need to brush up some more.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Captain Booyah said:

But "L.A." is masculine. Given that context, it should be the masculine "noir," not the feminine "noire."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I scored 70%, with 7 of 10 correct on The Escapist's The Escapist's Film Noir Quiz. Take this quiz [/quizzes/view/150-The-Escapists-Film-Noir-Quiz]
Not bad since I don't care much for that genre. Still wish I could find out which ones I got wrong though.