Cast Your Vote in TF2 Combat Film Contest

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cast Your Vote in TF2 Combat Film Contest

The folks at Valve can't possibly judge all of these TF2 fan films by themselves - so they want you to help out.

Back in the beginning of the month, we reported on TF2's "Replay Update," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109838-TF2s-Replay-Update-Adds-Video-Recording-Movie-Making-Contest] a patch that added replay-capture and video-editing functionality to Valve's popular online FPS. The update coincided with a competition - the Saxxy Awards - to find the best amateur filmmakers in the ranks of RED and BLU.

The submission deadline has long since past, which means now it's time to votefor your favorites [http://www.teamfortress.com/saxxyawards/vote.php]. Given the size of the TF2 community, one can only imagine that sifting through all of the entries would be a ton of work, so Valve has decided to farm that job out to its players.

The process is actually pretty painless. You go to the voting site [http://www.teamfortress.com/saxxyawards/vote.php], log into your Steam account - like you weren't logged in already - and are immediately presented with two randomly chosen videos in the given category. Choose which one you like better, and move on to the next set.

I'll be honest - most of these videos are actually pretty terrible, from what I've seen. Some are nicely put-together, but Sturgeon's Law is well at work here. Hell, more than a few don't even seem to fit the required category. Do you have any idea how long it took to find a video that was remotely worth embedding?

It's no wonder that Valve wants players to do the work of separating the decent from the crap before it steps in to administer final judgment.

(Saxxy Awards [http://www.teamfortress.com/saxxyawards/vote.php])

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Oh yes. I acutally took some time and watched A LOT of videos. I have to agree that most of those don't even deserve to be uploaded, but there are hidden gems in there.
But some are just so damn random... one video i saw wasn't even a TF2 one, it was that gif image of a Star Wars Trooper air-humping for a whole minute. Though it was in the right category, i have to give it to the uploaded.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
The contest was really disappointing to me. If I had known so many entries would be such utter crap I would have uploaded my kinda-decent epic fail moment with the heavy who runs out of ammo and gets chopped down by a sniper. I really don't feel like sitting around for hours voting between 'most creative kills' in videos where NOTHING CREATIVE OR INTERESTING ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

Also, on an unrelated note I wish there was a contest like this for Smash Brothers. I've got some truly epic and hilarious recordings of that game.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
While most of the videos I've watched so far are downright awful, a few have certainly shined above the rest, such as this small gem:

<youtube=u11VKIgnxoY>

I'm not even sure if it's that great of a fail, but it did make me giggle.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
I had the honour of participating in this:
Thankfully we had a fantastic editor on hand; I suppose the real juice behind it is that it is a collection of honest owners of said hats, not just some clever server mod, but compared to many of the other entries it is of a far higher standard.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
DanDanikov said:
I had the honour of participating in this:
Thankfully we had a fantastic editor on hand; I suppose the real juice behind it is that it is a collection of honest owners of said hats, not just some clever server mod, but compared to many of the other entries it is of a far higher standard.
How'd they get everyone to be ubered all at the same time?

OT: I'll have to give these videos a looksy sometime. If I had know that these would mostly be crap I would have uploaded my pretty decent Sniper spree(s);

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
Jumplion said:
How'd they get everyone to be ubered all at the same time?
That was server trickery. Notice the extra flames- I'm fairly sure a normal uber doesn't look like that.

nanosheep

May 25, 2011
I went ahead and made this:

Hopefully it'll make sifting through the crap a little more enjoyable.