HD Guardian Heroes for XBLA Contains Saturn Original

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
HD Guardian Heroes for XBLA Contains Saturn Original

If you don't like Guardian Heroes' HD makeover, changing to the original graphics is only a button press away.

Sega Saturn games are rarely ported due to how hard the games are to emulate. Even though bedroom programmers get Wii games to play in HD on their laptops, there hasn't been much success with Saturn emulation. So, it's a welcome surprise to hear that Guardian Heroes for XBLA won't only include the original in its entirety but will also allow players to switch between the original and the revamped HD graphics on the fly (a la the Monkey Island rereleases).

It was also recently unveiled that Treasure, who also developed portable sequel Advance Guardian Heroes, will lend a hand to this rerelease.

"Saturn code is notoriously difficult to work with so getting that original developer was really key to making this project happen," a Sega representative told Destructoid.

In addition to HD graphics, the original story and versus modes, players can also look forward online co-op with two players, a 12-player versus mode, time-attack mode, arcade mode, and "arrange" mode, when Guardian Heroes arrives on XBLA for 800 Microsoft Points later this summer.

The original 1996 release of Treasure's brawler-RPG hybrid Guardian Heroes was one of the few games that made the Sega Saturn worth having. It's also one of the few games to go for over $100 on eBay, which is part of the reason why The Escapist readers were ecstatic over news that a [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109800-Saturn-Beat-Em-Up-RPG-Guardian-Heroes-Marked-for-XBLA-Upgrade"]HD re-release[/a] would hit XBLA later this summer.

Source: [a href="http://www.destructoid.com/guardian-heroes-for-xbla-will-include-original-version-201727.phtml"]Destructoid[/a]

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
This just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter, cant wait to play GH again. I miss my Sega Saturn...

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I found the Sega Saturn awe-inspiring in my youth. Games like this always made me exited. I'll be looking to download this A.S.A.P.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Damn. I hate when these stories pop up. They always make me wait for the 'awesome' to be released 'later'.

Thanks for the tease anyways. Now I must find something else to do with my time. Like pressing red buttons ; P

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Im excited. My friend had a Saturn and we played GH to death. I'll be snapping this up.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Good news indeed, now if they could only fill my expectation and redo/port Panzer Dragoon Saga. Make my day

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
PSN release please?
I would love to have this game, and my friend's Saturn broke a while ago

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
If the xbox controller didn't suck hard for fighting games(game plays a lot like a fighter to those who don't know) I'd totally get it. Thankfully I got my old Saturn version.

Anyone know if there will be a PS3 release?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
They can just go ahead and port all the Treasure games over to XBLA. I'd even play Silhouette Mirage again.

venn2011

Apr 15, 2011
F-I-D-O said:
PSN release please?
I would love to have this game, and my friend's Saturn broke a while ago
I agree! PSN release PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE!!

My Saturn is also no longer of this world, but I at least still have the original disk for Guardian Heroes... Too bad I can't play it anymore. So far, it's been sitting inside a box deep inside my closet...

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
allistairp said:
one of the few games that made the Sega Saturn worth having.
How very dare you! The Saturn was, is, and will always be my all time favourite console.