Commentary on "A Golden Crown"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Commentary on "A Golden Crown"

The best part of the series are the minor characters.

Read Full Article

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
A Golden Crown - Best bit so far. And we got rid of that tit.

Also thinks Tyrions a great character - haven't read the book, but I hope he lasts a long, long time.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i would of liked to see the strategy that Bronn put into fighting in the trial and lysa overly pushy attitude getting him killed. i think everyone weve seen so far has been using splint mail rather that plate or chain mail

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
To hell with season 2, we need a spinoff series featuring just Bronn and Tyrion. They were awesome in the books, but the series just cranks it up to 11.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Talking about minor characters I'm noticing a lack of Jeyne Poole, Sansa and her were together a lot in the book right? but so far in the show I think we see her once, during the dinner back at Winterfell?

I also would have liked more screen time for the hand's tourney.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
HankMan said:
Um what was that whole "You fight without honor" thing about? I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing. And he even stood as Tyrion's champion (granted it was a given that he wouldn't go unrewarded for his efforts) but he's still got more honor than anyone in Eyrie. (excluding the members of the Stark house of course)
Running around, throwing chandeliers and bystanders at your opponent is generally not regarded as a valid tactic in an honourable duel between True Knights (tm). Bronn, being a sellsword, doesn't actually give a damn about that sort of thing of course, but still.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
HankMan said:
Um what was that whole "You fight without honor" thing about? I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing. And he even stood as Tyrion's champion (granted it was a given that he wouldn't go unrewarded for his efforts) but he's still got more honor than anyone in Eyrie. (excluding the members of the Stark house of course)
In lady Arryn's mind, Bronn was using underhanded tactics. Running away from the heavier, slower, more protected fighter. Jumping over furniture, knocking down lightstands, throwing bystanders in the way. All methods of tiring out the armored knight and then surgically striking the weak areas of the armor.

In Lady Arryn's mind, the only honorable method of fighting is probably just to hammer at each other with sword and shield. The knight's dance as described by Syrio. Bronn wouldn't have any of that and chose a more effective tactic.

Also, Lady Arryn is fucking crazy, so her opinion on honor is skewed.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
HankMan said:
Also it's really starting to bug me the way they portray Khal Drogo. The more I see of Tyrion owning every shot he's in, the more I'm aware that they're leaving Drogo so one dimensional. I haven't even read the books and it feels like there's something missing.
Must resist spoiling ...

Suffice to say that Khal Drogo is pretty one-dimensional and the drama of the story there is preserved in the show fairly well.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
HankMan said:
I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing.
In addition to what was already said above RE: knight fights, I'm pretty sure his pause at the end was more of a taunt than a "want him to yield?"

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
When Khal Drogo poured the gold on ...that guy with a funny name (you know who I mean)'s head...
that was one of the most awesome and horrible things I've ever seen on TV. It was just epic.
Khal was just like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWloVLRt24&feature=related.

I love this series, and am desperately wrestling with myself not to read the books as it will spoil it :/

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
I enjoy the series so far but for me I think it would better if there was pov character narration during some of these scenes.

For example in this episode, during the trial by combat scene Catelyn Stark has some extremely revealing insights about the fight.

The way it is present in the show it just makes Ser Vardis Egen look incompetent when that wasn't case.

Also when Tyrion first called for a champion, in the book this is where we first learn that Tyrion really hates being laughed at, but that's missing from the show just like all the other character narrated insights.

For anyone thinking about reading the books. Don't, get the audio book read by Roy Dotrice instead it's absolutely fantastic and much more enjoyable than the eyestrain that would come from reading the novel.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Lex Darko said:
I enjoy the series so far but for me I think it would better if there was pov character narration during some of these scenes.

For example in this episode, during the trial by combat scene Catelyn Stark has some extremely revealing insights about the fight.

The way it is present in the show it just makes Ser Vardis Egen look incompetent when that wasn't case.

Also when Tyrion first called for a champion, in the book this is where we first learn that Tyrion really hates being laughed at, but that's missing from the show just like all the other character narrated insights.

For anyone thinking about reading the books. Don't, get the audio book read by Roy Dotrice instead it's absolutely fantastic and much more enjoyable than the eyestrain that would come from reading the novel.
But reading is "fun"damental. :)

I agree about the narration parts. I knew what was going on because I had read the books, but a newcomer could easily miss those elements. Of course I think any narration added at this point, would detract from the style already implemented

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Lex Darko said:

Except if they did it like the book, you'd have a bunch of internal monologues from various characters, which doesn't work nearly as well for tv/movies as it does in novels (different mediums, different ways of telling a story). See the Dune movie for an example of how annoying that can get.

Errahtik

Dec 9, 2009
An awesome recap, but I would have mentioned that the spoilers given would not be limited to the episode. I can't unread those last few sentences now.

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
I second the need for introducing more characters of the Brotherhood, I was so looking forward for a bald monk dressed in red swinging around a flaming sword :(

Also, where the hell is all the Jon Snow I asked for last week? sigh

Anyway, aren't we still missing a scene where Ned tells Cersei "I know who the father of your children is"?

Oh and the shrug Bronn made when he volunteered to be champion was priceless :D

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Anyone else wondering when the filler is gonna start coming in? I mean if they pick this up ala True Blood, then GRRM only has 5 years to get out the 6th book, and then book 7 would have to come out right after. Considering the 11 years it took for books 4, and soon 5, I don't see that happening. That's of course assuming GRRM doesn't pull a Jordan on us. With his stance on fan fiction, I would find it ironic if someone else had to finish the series.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
rickthetrick said:
Anyone else wondering when the filler is gonna start coming in? I mean if they pick this up ala True Blood, then GRRM only has 5 years to get out the 6th book, and then book 7 would have to come out right after. Considering the 11 years it took for books 4, and soon 5, I don't see that happening. That's of course assuming GRRM doesn't pull a Jordan on us. With his stance on fan fiction, I would find it ironic if someone else had to finish the series.
Nahh he said that this one was just messed up, and that the last two would be coming out a lot quicker.

OT: I really enjoyed that one, however was disappointed at the lack of Jon. Ah, well, you can't fit every character in the episode.

Also crowning with gold was eevveennn better than I imagined it to be.