Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
I think you said it before, but it bears repeating : is there a child in this show that is not a complete pill? I get that we are supposed to like Arya, but she's no better than the rest. She is merely a different kind of irritating. Sulking Sansa the Senseless is now her official name. Alliteration win!

The Targaryens are such a loss in this show. Perhaps the books do a better job of them. Gods but it would have to in order to turn a purchased "wife" that gets raped nightly into a loving spouse that embraces the culture in the space of a couple weeks. Perhaps they are going with Stockholm syndrome, but I don't think so.

I disagree regarding Ned's actions against the Lannisters. I think it makes good sense to go way overboard the way he did against the Mountain and the Lannisters. I think he (rightly) knows that he can't bargain with them. He is the Hand and will flex his power in a way that should cow them: cross me and you die, your land and wealth are forfeit, and your boss gets called to stand before the King. I think its a dicey move and not as dumb as stated. It could certainly backfire, but to appease them gets him nothing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
HBaskerville said:
I think you said it before, but it bears repeating : is there a child in this show that is not a complete pill? I get that we are supposed to like Arya, but she's no better than the rest. She is merely a different kind of irritating. Sulking Sansa the Senseless is now her official name. Alliteration win!

The Targaryens are such a loss in this show. Perhaps the books do a better job of them. Gods but it would have to in order to turn a purchased "wife" that gets raped nightly into a loving spouse that embraces the culture in the space of a couple weeks. Perhaps they are going with Stockholm syndrome, but I don't think so.

I disagree regarding Ned's actions against the Lannisters. I think it makes good sense to go way overboard the way he did against the Mountain and the Lannisters. I think he (rightly) knows that he can't bargain with them. He is the Hand and will flex his power in a way that should cow them: cross me and you die, your land and wealth are forfeit, and your boss gets called to stand before the King. I think its a dicey move and not as dumb as stated. It could certainly backfire, but to appease them gets him nothing.
Except Fat Bob flat out tells him that he can't go against the Lannisters because he owes them so much money - a point I didn't address in the recap. So even if Ned is in the right, it might not matter.

And the Targaryens are far, far more complex in the books. Dany's relationship with Drogo makes perfect sense; you can really see the evolution from prize to loving wife, and it doesn't feel at all fake. It's really a shame it's been given such short shrift in the show.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Still though, 6 episodes into the show that remains very faithful to the book, it's doing a damn fine job.

Characters are still very awesome, Ned's a pretty giant bad ass without even killing anyone for a while, I'm enjoying.

Enough so that I paced myself and didn't take an early peak at next week's show.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
HBaskerville said:

Except Fat Bob flat out tells him that he can't go against the Lannisters because he owes them so much money - a point I didn't address in the recap. So even if Ned is in the right, it might not matter.

And the Targaryens are far, far more complex in the books. Dany's relationship with Drogo makes perfect sense; you can really see the evolution from prize to loving wife, and it doesn't feel at all fake. It's really a shame it's been given such short shrift in the show.
I don't think you understand who Ned Stark is. He is an overly noble and honorable guy to the end. He will move against the Lannisters because it is the right thing to do, even if he knows it will cost him much hardship. He isn't the type of person who could ignore the cries of the peasants, or allow a fake knight to exist.

Personally I really liked the episode. Not sure why you think this one of all episodes falls flat.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
godofallu said:
Susan Arendt said:
HBaskerville said:

I don't think you understand who Ned Stark is. He is an overly noble and honorable guy to the end. He will move against the Lannisters because it is the right thing to do, even if he knows it will cost him much hardship. He isn't the type of person who could ignore the cries of the peasants, or allow a fake knight to exist.

Personally I really liked the episode. Not sure why you think this one of all episodes falls flat.
Where did I say it fell flat? And I understand Ned quite well. I just think he's a fool.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
godofallu said:
Between the overly obvious court audience scene (really, did they have to point everything out with fingerpaints to make sure no one in the audience got lost?) and the somewhat underwhelming fight for Tyrion's freedom - mostly just due to Bronn being portrayed as this agile cat-like fighter in the book where in the show he seems sorta...awkward - I'd have to say episode six is the first one to feel a bit weak to me. It's not a bad episode, but it doesn't hold up to the previous five; it feels rushed.

Worth it to capstone the episode with Vis's crowning, though. That scene, at least, held up very nicely.

Oh, as to kids in the show who aren't complete pills: Bran's a bit sulky (with good reason, I'd say?), but he seems an okay kid.

Only semi-related, I'm just curious: why is the Escapist doing episode-by-episode recaps for this show? Nothing against it, just not something I'd noticed going on with other shows, so it seems sorta random, unless I just haven't noticed it going on before.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Shjade said:
godofallu said:
Between the overly obvious court audience scene (really, did they have to point everything out with fingerpaints to make sure no one in the audience got lost?) and the somewhat underwhelming fight for Tyrion's freedom - mostly just due to Bronn being portrayed as this agile cat-like fighter in the book where in the show he seems sorta...awkward - I'd have to say episode six is the first one to feel a bit weak to me. It's not a bad episode, but it doesn't hold up to the previous five; it feels rushed.

Worth it to capstone the episode with Vis's crowning, though. That scene, at least, held up very nicely.

Oh, as to kids in the show who aren't complete pills: Bran's a bit sulky (with good reason, I'd say?), but he seems an okay kid.

Only semi-related, I'm just curious: why is the Escapist doing episode-by-episode recaps for this show? Nothing against it, just not something I'd noticed going on with other shows, so it seems sorta random, unless I just haven't noticed it going on before.
IDK I thought the fight went exactly the same in the book and in the show. In fact I remember him knocking over the pillar, jumping off the stairs, and basically running away the entire fight. Waiting for the heavily armored fighter to tire.

I don't remember the court scene enough to comment on it, but my favorite exchange of the book was in this episode.

Ceseri: I want Ned killed! He attacked my brother after getting drunk and whoring!
King: *punches Ceseri in the Face
Ceseri: I shall wear this bruise as a badge of honor!
King: Wear it in silence or I will honor you again!

That entire exchange just speaks volumes about the characters. Robert knew Ned would never go whoring, Ceseri was attempting to protect her family through treachery, and Ned sticks up for his wife against overwhelming odds.

cabaray

Nov 11, 2009
There was also a bad idea going good...

hmmm...what if i put a dragon egg into the fire...wait a while...and pick it up!

WOW...I do not get burned...I am Dragonsblood!

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
godofallu said:
IDK I thought the fight went exactly the same in the book and in the show. In fact I remember him knocking over the pillar, jumping off the stairs, and basically running away the entire fight. Waiting for the heavily armored fighter to tire.
I wasn't nitpicking the details or blocking itself - if I were to do that I'd point out that he doesn't knock over the pillar as in the book, which pins his opponent (who's supposed to be visibly older as well) for the kill. I was nitpicking the performance; Bronn just doesn't come across as a very agile guy in the show. He just seems less-slow than the guy in all the armor. Good enough to win, but not really the same thing.

TheShrimp

Mar 10, 2011
I'm still shocked due to the homoerotic scene of Renly and Loras on Episode 5.
Was this even in the book?!

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
I don't know I enjoyed the episode. Everything is falling into place as far as the novel is concerned. a few liberties have been taken, but nothing to start crying about. And yes Ned is a fool but it's not out of stupidity, it's out of honor and the carrying out of his duties truly and honestly. he lacks guile, which is unsuitable for a man in his position. If Robert had truly loved the brother he chose, he would have let him stay in Winterfell. the kids are complete pills because kids are complete pills. It's just rare that they're taken seriously in a very adult fantasy setting(or period for that matter)

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
dibblywibbles said:
I don't know I enjoyed the episode. Everything is falling into place as far as the novel is concerned. a few liberties have been taken, but nothing to start crying about. And yes Ned is a fool but it's not out of stupidity, it's out of honor and the carrying out of his duties truly and honestly. he lacks guile, which is unsuitable for a man in his position. If Robert had truly loved the brother he chose, he would have let him stay in Winterfell. the kids are complete pills because kids are complete pills. It's just rare that they're taken seriously in a very adult fantasy setting(or period for that matter)
I don't know about the kids not being taken seriously. Arya is a huge part of the story, Sansa is supposed to be very jaded/bitchy in order to provoke emotion, and both the bastard and Rob step up on multiple occasions.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
TheShrimp said:
I'm still shocked due to the homoerotic scene of Renly and Loras on Episode 5.
Was this even in the book?!
No. There are some implications later on, but I haven't seen anything explicit about such a relationship yet (only about one third into the second book).

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
In that moment, she is the one who is strong, who is loved, who will rule - not him.
For some reason I found this one bit of Susan's writing quite odd. True, Daenerys is a victim of abuse, but since when does this particular murder to an adoring audience becomes a sign of strength and not good ol' payback? I don't feel like it shows up how strong she is particularly any more than it shows just how completely disposable, annoying and useless Viserys was that her own sis was wiling to watch him get an, ahem, Golden Shower. Budding sociopathy 101, anyone?

That to me is a sign that something ain't right with the girl...okay, that and her Stockholm Syndrome. The girl doesn't have a good mental track record.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
I wonder what Ned will do with the knowledge that
Joffery isn't Robert's son, now that he has almost declared war on the Lannisters. It'll get more interesting if Bran ever tells him that Joffery's mother is shagging her brother...who also has blonde hair. Interesting thing, recessive genes.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
godofallu said:
dibblywibbles said:
I don't know about the kids not being taken seriously. Arya is a huge part of the story, Sansa is supposed to be very jaded/bitchy in order to provoke emotion, and both the bastard and Rob step up on multiple occasions.
Sorry I should've clarified. I meant to say children aren't normally taken seriously in a fantasy setting, this would be the exception. It's still really hard to like Sansa though. I don't really consider Rob and Jon Snow to be children though, well at least Jon has grown into himself as a man.

Irish Soulface

Sep 18, 2008
question would having melted gold poured on your head kill you or just severely mess up you face? :p sucks to be Viserys

.[B@lL15T1C].

Apr 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Game of Thrones Recap - Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

Read Full Article
Is it just me or did the direwolves get involved in the wildling fight for bran in the book?

Yea, I'm pretty certain shaggydog and Grey Wind tore the throats out of the two wildlings who were killed by robb in this ep.