Irrational Shows Off BioShock Infinite Ads and Propaganda

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Irrational Shows Off BioShock Infinite Ads and Propaganda

Guns, gene-altering chemicals, and fear are apparently all big business in the flying city of Columbia.

One of the great things about a game like BioShock Infinite [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EB70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306322854&sr=8-1], for the player at least, is that by being set in the past - in this case 1912 - it opens the door up to some older styles and designs that you wouldn't normally see in a videogame. It seems that Irrational rather enjoy this aspect of the game too, as it's showing off three pieces of artwork that could have leaped fully formed out of the past.

[gallery=254]

The first pieces is an advertisement for one of the games many "vigors" - BioShock Infinite's version of the original BioShocks plasmids - and the second is for a repeating rifle, dubbed "the friend of the Indian fighter." The final piece is an example of Founder propaganda, depicting the rebellious Vox Populi faction as sub-humans who must hide from the "Songbird," a huge mechanical bird-like creature who, when it isn't dispensing "justice," also serves as Elizabeth's - the character the player has been sent to rescue - guardian. It can also been seen at the end of the BioShock Infinite gameplay trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2028-BioShock-Infinite-Gameplay], albeit briefly.

The ads are the work of Irrational artist Mike Swiderek, while the propaganda poster was made by Jorge Lacera. All three will appear in the game, and in the case of the two ads, the items will also be available for the player to use. The player will undoubtedly meet the Songbird as well, but that's probably going to be a slightly more tense encounter. Hopefully, they will also appear in stores one day, as any one of them would look great hanging on the wall in poster form.

BioShock Infinite is scheduled for release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 some time in 2012.

Source: Irrational Games [http://irrationalgames.com/insider/ads-and-propaganda-of-columbia/]

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
These look great, I can't wait for Bioshock Infinite. That Songbird one looks intriguing and slightly terrifying.

th155

Mar 4, 2011
Quaxar said:
I'd buy these posters to put them up at home.
Please tell me I can?
You know, you can download the image and print it on poster sized paper...

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
Sweet I hope that's the actual machine gun you get to use ingame, cause it looks pretty cool. Also what do you think the Bucking Bronco vigor will do?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I love irrational. Having been fortunate enough to play through System Shock 2, i have faith whatever they produce is going to be solid gold. Can't wait for Bioshock Infinite! Even if the sky feels far less oppressive and curious to set a dystopia in, unlike the sea or space. The problem is that it feels too... familiar. It's too close to what we know. After all, we've all been in airplanes before, so we've all been above the clouds. But none of us can really say we've been in a bathysphere to the bottom of the sea floor or in a space shuttle to the middle of a galaxy hundreds of years away. Not to mention the overly bright and cheerful aesthetic in Infinite going against the outright oppressive nature of Rapture's underwater paradise. Even the water itself was a metaphor for oppression, putting stress and weight on the pipes...
Though i do suffer from vertigo, and will be made uncomfortable as i play Infinite in the knowledge i will be perpetually high up with nothing to stop me falling. Regardless, i will play on, even if it starts to make me feel genuinely queasy. FOR SCIENCE!

[sup]Sorry, couldn't resist...[/sup]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Want SMG. Do want.

The machine guns were all I used in 1 & 2, really.

Please, Irrational...if you take one thing from 2K Marin's Bioshock 2...don't put in the stupid inventing from Bioshock 1.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
These look great. But I'll reserve judgement on the game until the reviews come in. Bioshock 2 will not happen to me again.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I love this style. I'm really looking forward to this game.

I'm hoping the special edition includes some of this material.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm very interested to know how they came across gene-altering chemicals at the turn of the century. It would be another forty odd years before we even knew what DNA looked like. On the other hand, the game does also feature a giant mechanical intelligent bird, and an entire floating city. Anachronisms abound.

th155

Mar 4, 2011
9_6 said:
Looking good.
Not much else to say.

th155 said:
Quaxar said:
Please tell me I can?
Fuckin resolutions, how do they work.
I'm not stupid. Presumably higher quality images exist on the internet somewhere. And if not, i fail to see why you can't get something of proper quality from the games files when it comes out.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
th155 said:
Quaxar said:
Please tell me I can?
I know that, but I want posters, not 8-bit pixel mash.

EDIT: That's what I get for not browsing the whole thread before answering.
Anyway, I'd find it much more convenient if they just gave away the images in appropriate size instead of me having to find a half-decent version online for paper bigger than normal A4 size.

polymer

May 24, 2011
The original Bioshock nailed 50s/60s art and decor. The juxtaposition of what we now consider quaint (look at the recent resurgence of interest in 40s/50s settings, advertising and fashion) against horrific/survival horror themes is always thoroughly unsettling; Fallout 3 did something similar, using era music, film reels and advertising styles.

The entire Bioshock universe is totally engrossing. I can't wait for Infinite.

TaylorPaige09

Apr 8, 2010
I absolutely loved the ads and propaganda in BioShock. I definitely prefer the art deco style, but this is excellent too. I can't wait for this game.

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Oh wow. That is a nice pick of a name for that thing. It only makes it all the more terrifying. :D