Ubisoft Goes Free-To-Play With Ghost Recon Online

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Goes Free-To-Play With Ghost Recon Online

[gametrailers=714169]​
Ubisoft is jumping into the free-to-play fray with Ghost Recon Online, a new multiplayer shooter set to go live next year.

Does the world need another online military shooter? Probably not, but here comes Ubisoft anyway with Ghost Recon Online, a "multiplayer, third-person, cover-based tactical shooter" that will make use of the increasingly popular free-to-play model. The game will be downloadable and playable at no cost, but will also offer premium items for sale to players who want to maximize and "fully personalize their experience."

Ghost Recon Online will offer three different classes of soldier with customizable weapon loadouts and feature regular events, content updates based on community feedback, live support and more. Ubisoft Senior Producer Hugues Ricour said the game was designed from the beginning as a free-to-play release that would rival the quality of traditional retail releases. "Ghost Recon Online takes the best attributes of the Ghost Recon [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Ghost-Future-Soldier-Xbox-360/dp/B0037LTTRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306339219&sr=8-1] game franchise and brings them online, making the experience of being a Ghost accessible to millions of new players and fans," he said.

A closed beta is scheduled to begin this summer, so head over to ghostrecononline.com [http://ghostrecononline.us.ubi.com/] to sign up for a key and eyeball some screenshots. The full release of Ghost Recon Online is currently slated for early 2012, exclusively for the PC.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Hopefully they put more effort into it and it makes for a more fun free to play experience than EA did for the free to play version of Battlefield.

FranckN

Mar 14, 2011
SomebodyNowhere said:
Hopefully they put more effort into it and it makes for a more fun free to play experience than EA did for the free to play version of Battlefield.
yes, that one really sucks

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
Was looking forward to this game, but after I saw the Halo-style bubble shield and the invisibility/cloaking I dialed that enthusiasm back a bit.
Me too, i don't care for any of that crap, makes me miss the original Ghost Recon games, you know... were you do recon, and be sneaky about it maybe even like Ghosts...

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
Ooh! Sounds kind of like a cross between Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow 6: Vegas, both of which were awesome!

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
Ooh! Sounds kind of like a cross between Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow 6: Vegas, both of which were awesome!

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Unfortunately, Free-to-play in my ears sounds like -20 to quality standards :( .

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So their "huge" PC project is a free to fail, pay to play 3rd person shooter?

Fuck ubishit and the horse they rode in on.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
So....how is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier doing, eh Ubisoft?
It's funny how that just faded away into the ether and reappeared as.......this. It's an interesting strategy though, to be fair. They released that the game would've sold "fuck-all" so they just toned it down, instead of releasing a potential (and likely) flop. As funny as it is (and it IS funny), I can actually respect this decision.

Probably won't try it though, since the F2P Battlefield was unsurprising crud.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Dulcinea said:
Asehujiko said:
So their "huge" PC project is a free to fail, pay to play 3rd person shooter?

Fuck ubishit and the horse they rode in on.
Free to fail? Fail at what?
Free players repeatedly getting owned by those who spend money, as what happens to most "free" games.