Square Enix Hiding "Large-Scale" MMO Behind Its Back

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix Hiding "Large-Scale" MMO Behind Its Back

Square Enix is working on a new big-budget MMO it'll announce by early 2012.

Square Enix may have slipped up with the launch of lack of subscription fees [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Pc/dp/B002I0JJ2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306339944&sr=8-1], but it's not giving up in the MMO space. A transcript of a recent Square Enix earnings briefing reveals that the company has another MMO coming down the pipeline.

Square Enix is putting a "heavy investment" into the unannounced title. A translation of the report calls the MMO "large-scale," but offers no details regarding whether it's based on an existing franchise or if it'll be something totally new.

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada said that the company hopes to operate 2-3 MMOs of a significant caliber at once to bring in a regular, stable flow of funds. It continues to support Final Fantasy XI [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Ultimate-Collection-Pc/dp/B002SQNGX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306340772&sr=8-1] in addition to Final Fantasy XIV, so the new MMO would presumably be the third.

The mystery game will be announced by the end of Square Enix's upcoming fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2012. Square Enix could reveal it at E3 2011 in early June, but that seems awfully early in light of recent Final Fantasy XIV trouble. Then again, if it's a Deus Ex [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Pc/dp/B002I0HKRQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1306340917&sr=8-7] MMO, I don't think anyone will care.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/25/square_enix_mmo/]

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
Im guessing it's going to be called Final Fantasy XV. Square Enix has never been so good at the whole MMO thing. I am not expecting much after they made a big deal about FF XIV and it was a massive flop.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I see another terrible MMO that goes down in flaming wreckage coming down the tubes...weeeee!

Squeenix is in my group of "terrible developers w/ games to avoid" category and I'm sure this one will only confirm it further.

Jackstick

May 25, 2011
linkvegeta said:
Im guessing it's going to be called Final Fantasy XV. Square Enix has never been so good at the whole MMO thing. I am not expecting much after they made a big deal about FF XIV and it was a massive flop.
I hope not. While the occasional Final Fantasy MMO is fine (and I hope Square Enix can make XIV into something great), I wouldn't want one Final Fantasy MMO after another.

I don't think Square Enix would want to take that risk again, anyway. Final Fantasy XIV still has potential, if SE handles it properly.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I couldn't see myself getting into a MMO by them. Their MMO philosophies seem to be very averse to the casual gamer. Well, and not to mention really crappy and unfinished apparently.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Is it wrong for me to hope for an Einhander MMO?
If that was true we and most of the gaming word would be scoping this hoping SE doesn't fuck it up.

Yet I always thought SE isn't capable of making a solid MMO because they always change the battle system up. Also these days they focus on shining up a shit game, instead of tossing aside all the gloss for something that doesn't need basic fixes and breaking common sense thinking. most really good MMO's don't need to look like Crysis in terms of graphics to be a good game. Look at Monster Hunter overall to today's standards it's "ugly" but because it plays well and is fun ppl love it. Finally for this new MMO to gain any profit it'll have to beat WOW (of course), all the Nexon "free" MMO's, the upcoming Dark Souls, Armored Core 5 and Diablo 3 (whenever that's coming out). SE will have to pull something godlike out their ass to make up for basically ignoring their fan base.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Square Enix should really stop making MMOs because they suck at it. Why don't just stick to something you are good at?

standokan

May 28, 2009
I doubt that this´ll actually make profit but hey, it´s not like Square Enix has alot of choices left... JUST REMAKE VII ALREADY

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
linkvegeta said:
That and they expect people to pay money for it is just wtf.I think the Final fantasy era is over, its now becoming overrated and well if the creators dont seem to think were they will take final fantasy next why should the fans bother with them anymore.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I hope it's not a FF MMO. Hell, I'm still playing XI and keeping an eye on XIV (in the unlikely event that it gets good) but a 3rd FF based MMO would just be too much. They need to jump onto other franchises they own I think so we don't get too bogged down with 1 portion of their market. Dues Ex MMO, Kingdom Hearts MMO, Chrono Trigger MMO, so on and so on.