First Ninja Gaiden III Details Finally Released

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
First Ninja Gaiden III Details Finally Released

After months of keeping information on the third Ninja Gaiden game on the down low, Team Ninja has finally seen fit to drop a few tantalizing details.

Since the game was first announced at the Tokyo Game Show last year, very little concrete information has been released about Ninja Gaiden III. Team Ninja, the developer, released an teaser trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105069-Ninja-Gaiden-3-Not-Bound-by-the-Past-Says-Team-Ninja] showing how not-fun-at-all it is to be on the receiving end of protagonist Ryu's sword, but no solid details.

Well, all that has finally changed. In an article in the Official PlayStation Magazine, the devs finally dropped a few details on the game.

Staying true to the series, Ninja Gaiden III will be filled with more spurts of blood and over-the-top gore than you can shake a katana at, and will retain the mentality that if a game doesn't cause high blood pressure and strokes with its difficulty, then it isn't hard enough. The game will be presented at 60 frames per second, which will hopefully be enough capture the true beauty and elegance of blood-soaked alleyways filled with corpses.

But the new Team Ninja has no plans for keeping the series static. The game will focus more on Ryu's personality and the story of the game than previous entries in the franchise have, which will be aided by keeping Ryu as the only planned playable character and dropping the weapon store in favor of a more natural weapon progression throughout the game. It will also feature co-op and competitive multiplayer modes, which will support up to 8 players, and might even attempt to utilize PlayStation Move.

More details on the game are scheduled to be announced at E3 this June. Let's all just hope that this game doesn't end up like that other [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101576-Other-M-Will-Challenge-Perceptions-Say-Developers] game Team Ninja made semi-recently.

Source: CVG [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28056440&postcount=1]

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
I'm currently playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and goddamn did it get fun once the combat finally clicked with me. The game is just hard enough, so that it makes me pissed off but not enough to leave the game, and when I move forward after a couple of tries I feel really awesome. Just love it!

Anyways, hopefully they'll fix the fucking camera in this one, since I hear they didn't in NGII. And please, please, PLEASE let the co-op be available in splitscreen.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Wait...what?! A co-oop and competitive multiplayer mode?! How on earth is that supposed to work?! Like an uber fast, Mortal Kombat-like fighting game of sorts? And isn't NG waaaay too fast for co-op? Man I sure wonder how they're going to pull that one off.

And if they're going to focus on his personality and background, I sure as hell hope they've learned from Metroid: Other M and not do that again.

I myself will stay the hell away from it by the way, not because I hate the game itself, but because I suck so freakin' hard at combo-focussed game. NG2 royally kicked my ass.

TehAardvark

Apr 4, 2011
Ninja Gaiden, the masochist of the video game world, I've met very few people that had fun with this game, most who played it did it merely to say they could and did beat it. Played the first two levels of the first game and I can only figure that it still exists as an evil plot by politicians to cause stress related heart attacks in the gamer population.

I mean I get that it's a game with a high difficulty for those who enjoy a controller smashing challenge, but seriously if you're not hard core about games this series will mount your butt on the nearest flag poll and fire it into the sun.

SmilesX-23

Isn't much of anything
Dec 15, 2009
I so very hope this is good, i loved the last two/ four if you count the PS3 ports.

Cowabungaa said:
Wait...what?! A co-oop and competitive multiplayer mode?! How on earth is that supposed to work?! Like an uber fast, Mortal Kombat-like fighting game of sorts? And isn't NG waaaay too fast for co-op? Man I sure wonder how they're going to pull that one off.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 had a co-op which worked pretty well. Although if Ryu is going to be the only character in the single player i hope they keep the other characters in the multiplayer, I enjoyed playing as Ayane over Ryu.

Alavar91

The guy who rarely posts.
Aug 5, 2009
I love the Ninja Gaiden series and NG3 sounds like its going to be a good shake up of the series, and it'll be nice to see Ryu have some emotion instead of just 'grrrrrrrrr'. BUT what irked me about Ninja Gaiden S2 (Yes I have it on PS3) is the amount of clearly non-essential boss fights that just randomly popped up.

Yes yes they were pretty easy to kill once you got the big black hole KABOOM spell. But still....not cool :/ Anyways.....Yay for NG3!

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
So how brutally difficult will this game be then? xD

And I hope they do fix the framerate, there was an area in NG2 where you were fighting werewolves whilst running up a huge flight of stairs (vague I know) and if you used that staff weapon (more vagueness) the framerate pretty much ground to a halt. D:

Don't think I'll pick this up straight away, but definitely going to get it at somepoint.

Darkpanix

Jan 3, 2011
They are going to focus on the story? Just... Hahahahahahaha!
no seriously, because Ryu has such a sparkling personality :p

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!

I beat NGS a few weeks ago, and NGS2 is on my to-buy list, along with Vanquish, Bioshock 1, Demon's Souls, & Bayonetta (No, I haven't played them, yes, you can kill me for this blasphemy), and, seeing as it's my birthday in 4 days, I can see some Ninja Gaiden (and the other too...) awesomeness coming on...

=D

I'm definitely getting this. Games like NG, and DMC are some of the best, IMHO.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Well, the last time Ninja Gaiden 3 was made, the story was a major focus, and it turned out to be a convoluted, incomprehensible, and illogical trainwreck. It pushed its system to the limits, but was so hard and unfun that it was abandoned by most of the series' fans, and it nearly killed the series for good.

For the sake of the new series let's hope it goes better this time. However, if there is an ancient ship of doom anywhere in the plot, stay far far away.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Why the fuck does Ninja Gaiden need a co-op and/or competitive multiplayer mode? Terrible wasted development time for features a game like this DOES NOT NEED to be successful.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, cool. But I was really hoping we'd get more levels where we play as Ayane, or even Kasumi since she was hiding in Ninja Gaiden Sigma II. Still, excited about this one.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
You know... I was actually kind of excited about this until I read the entire article.

Co-op? Okay. But [I'm assuming] competitive multiplayer? If it's what I think it is, they might as well just release a new console DoA game with all the non-ninja cut from the cast (because really, not only were they all some of the best characters, those were the only characters with any kind of backstory),

And a broken combat system (NG2, for 360) does not make a hard - nor good - game. All NG2 was was an exercise in tedium, and it was fucking annoying to boot.

But you know what, I'll bite my toungue a bit since I have no real details. So I'll only say that I really[/.i] hope this game is properly play-tested before release date this time.

And that the leaderboards aren't so stupid easy to hack. ¬__¬

Di'kut

Mar 28, 2011
Team Ninja without Tomonobu Itagaki is a Team Ninja I am not willing to support. Just look at what happens when Itagaki isn't around, yeah, Other M happens.