About Critics (Part 1)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
About Critics (Part 1)

Here's why Bob has been ignoring some of your complaints.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, you read all those comments? All of them? Including these ones right here?

You poor man.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wow... you read all of the comments?

How do you get the time to make 3 simultaneous web series, watch 5 new films a week, and read through the 100s of comments you get every couple of days!? It doesn't seem physically possible...

*Edit* OH, and create a weekly web article! How I managed to forget that in a comment on said web article I'll never know.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I feel guilty knowing you might actually read what I have to say when I post from time to time.

Something I've noticed recently (and yes this is a gross generalisation) but on discussions of Jimquisition, the fans of that show seem to really hate this show. I think that comes from the acquisitions of elitism and pretentiousness that moviebob has got. Personally, I don't get that and I don't get get Jimquisition either...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I don't get why so many people complain as they do.
WHy can't they just get over reviews they don't agree with and move on?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Dude, MovieBob, you might as well address the complaints head on. I don't really see how it makes you any more egotistical then you already are, and even if you does, it at least gives some of us SOME satisfaction.

Or at least me, so I know how you feel about certain people's responses.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ugh... I stopped watching/reading your stuff a while back, and when I decide to give you one more chance you just remind me why I stopped paying attention to you in the first place. Maybe it's because I do have a problem with elitism.

RTR said:
I don't get why so many people complain as they do.
WHy can't they just get over reviews they don't agree with and move on?
It's not a matter of not agreeing with reviews... it the idea that he thinks that by "criticizing" these films, he's some how better than others. While some people might not have a problem with it, I do. And if I don't like it, why do I even bother commenting? Because if he's got the right to criticize, I do too.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have any problems with you holding films to a higher standard, or being vitriolic about cash in sequels (which are usually entertaining in fact), the biggest recurring problem is your dismissal of people who enjoy films like that. You conflate anyone who enjoys The Expendables, Michael Bay films or Fast 5 as "Douchebags" quite often. Aside from the fact that there's no accounting for tastes, there's nothing wrong with people wanting movies they can switch their brain off for, and downright insulting everyone based on their tastes just makes you come off like, frankly, a bit of a dick.

I'm not saying you need to change your whole schtick, because you usually do have some good insights on movies, but your whole "Us vs them" mentality has got to stop.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Well, maybe you don't actually WANT to provoke a response, because that kind of makes you a troll (in a bad way).

But in any case, i agree with all the points made because i am so SICK of douchebags who pay to see movies and games that are just lazy, cheap cash-ins and GENUINELY say they are better than actual GOOD games and movies

(example: my fiance thinks that Pirates 4 is better than Scott Pilgrim, my brothers think Call of Duty is better than Red Dead Redemption, my mom thinks Twilight is better than District 9. My fiance's best friends think Sucker Punch is better than Inception. I'm surrounded by lowbrow, ignorant, and just frustratingly "average joe" people)

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
My problem isn't any of those points, it is how you make things personal. You insult people of differing opinions. If you enjoy The Expendables you are "probably the worst kind of person." Really? Also, I don't care about your personal life. You completely invalidated your own review of Scream 4 by opening with that rant about the Scream franchise taking away your "skill" (it was never a skill in the first place).

Just be more professional. That is what I am asking.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Well said, Bob, well said. ^^

I get really tired of the stupid hate that gets thrown at critics. People don't seem to understand that it is your job to point out the flaws in things, or "critique" them - hence critic.

Also, thanks to you personally, I have watched several great movies that would have slipped by ignored if not for you. So thank you for that as well. ^^

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
I had a feeling that you were reading our comments a while back, after several of us complained about your overuse of bleeping in your 'At the Movies' videos. After an episode or two, I noticed a scaling back of the language to tolerable bleep levels. Thanks Bob for listening to us!

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I think people only mind elitism when they feel like they are being left out. This is mostly a videogame site. Since the audience isn't comprised of film buffs they are put out when you trash a bland movie that they liked because it kind of implies that they aren't on the same level. (For example I liked both Riddick movies and want another one, philistine that I am.)
On the other hand, much of the site and its fanbase is pretty knowedgable when it comes to videogames. So the site can be pretty "elitist" about games, trashing stuff like Call of Duty and praising other stuff like Minecraft all the time. This doesn't seem cause people nearly as much grief. (And I dont' mind at all :D )

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
Well, maybe you don't actually WANT to provoke a response, because that kind of makes you a troll (in a bad way).

But in any case, i agree with all the points made because i am so SICK of douchebags who pay to see movies and games that are just lazy, cheap cash-ins and GENUINELY say they are better than actual GOOD games and movies

(example: my fiance thinks that Pirates 4 is better than Scott Pilgrim, my brothers think Call of Duty is better than Red Dead Redemption, my mom thinks Twilight is better than District 9. My fiance's best friends think Sucker Punch is better than Inception. I'm surrounded by lowbrow, ignorant, and just frustratingly "average joe" people)
People like different things and maybe to them they are the better film/game. Perhaps you should remember that, especially as you appear to have just called your family a collection of "douchebags"

Pirates 4 was just okay but infinitely better than Scott Pilgrim by the way, but then that's my opinion. Doesn't make me a douchebag thankyou very much.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Awwwww Bob reads our comments. Love you, Bob. Though that's probably pretty frustrating, too, with all the people who get angry and defensive the second you say something they don't agree with.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So, if movie critics hate popular movies, Toy Story 3 must have never registered on the main population's radar, because movie critics everywhere LOVED that movie, Movie Bob included. It was the first of his reviews that I watched, and I remember he said that it was really good.

Looking forward to the next part of this article.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I never understood why elitism was bad. Then again, I firmly believe that the merit of an individual matters more than their ethnicity, gender, or appearance--if they can do the job, they get the job. If they do the job better, then they get more for it. When it was thrown out in the 2008 election, I honestly went "...and?", because I would much rather see a president who understands that he is capable versus a leader whose purpose is to be the brunt of ridicule. If you have severely more experience with something than I do, and you are better at it than I am, then good for you, bad for me. When I take the time to learn as much as I can about it, that does not suddenly mean bad for you--it only means good for me, and that is by all means not a bad thing. There should be a gap between the person who has spent years devoted to something and the average person who might do it occasionally, for a past time. The person with the prowess by all rights should be held higher and more esteemed than the casual viewer.

When I read a review, or watch a critique, I am fully expecting that the content will be under a different scrutiny than what I might apply to it. It's the same reason most amalgamated review sites have a Critic Score column and a User Score column. There should be some disparity between those two, as the average user looks for enjoyment or effect, but the critic looks for problems present in structure, narrative, worth, convention, direction, and continuity, among so many other aspects.

So, go on being an elitist, Bob. Years of watching thousands of movies might just give you an insight the rest of us may not have. At the same time, though, if you don't have the knowledge, then admit so. Don't put it to us that you are the chosen one when you haven't a clue as to what his duties are. And I, in turn, will understand that my opinion as a casual or moderate viewer has every indication of being different from yours, and that at times I might seek a good old fashioned cliché for my viewing delectation, then follow it up with a new, creative, and rare treat. The opinion I form of the film shall be tempered of both opinions, but mine shall be of the prevailing one I consider.